105 Headers Comparison/shootout!

Window shopping for the best sounding headers:

1. Classic Alfa

Price: $722.40
Includes gasket: ?
Ceramic option: no
Notes:

2. Centerline

Price: $379.00 / $469.00 (ceramic option)
Includes gasket: yes(heavy duty)
Ceramic option: yes
Notes: claimed “10-15% increase in top end power”

3. Alfaholics

Price: $670.80
Includes gasket: no
Notes:

4. Vickauto

Price: 299.00
Includes gasket: yes
Notes: 1.5” OD tube and 2.0” OD collector

5. Spruell motorsports

Price: $889.00
Includes gasket: ?
Ceramic option: yes (included in price)
Notes: claimed 3-10 hp increase
“Tri-Y design”

Anyone know which one would sound the best? Perhaps the one with the largest diameter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tremere613; 02-16-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

This thread is focused on the series 3 spider...
But if anyone has any experiences to share please do so!

Thank you all!
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:58 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Take a close look at the angle between the flanges and the primary tubes. The tube should follow the direction of the exhaust port which is not at 90 degrees to the tube. IAP headers were incorrect at one time. The headers with long primaries and shortish secondaries are (I think) more like GTA headers.
Claims of HP increase depend upon what system they are being compared with. The Alfa one piece manifolds from about 75 to 99 strangled the engine and anything decent is an improvement. The factory 2 piece manifolds are probably as good as any headers at low to mid rpm but you are unlikely to see them on a race motor.
I think that your choice should be based upon your engine preparation and beware of headers with large bore tubes which can kill the low to mid range torque.
davbert likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
Take a close look at the angle between the flanges and the primary tubes. The tube should follow the direction of the exhaust port which is not at 90 degrees to the tube. IAP headers were incorrect at one time. The headers with long primaries and shortish secondaries are (I think) more like GTA headers.
Claims of HP increase depend upon what system they are being compared with. The Alfa one piece manifolds from about 75 to 99 strangled the engine and anything decent is an improvement. The factory 2 piece manifolds are probably as good as any headers at low to mid rpm but you are unlikely to see them on a race motor.
I think that your choice should be based upon your engine preparation and beware of headers with large bore tubes which can kill the low to mid range torque.

I’m not following your first statement about primary tubes, which one of the websites above have that issue with their offering?

Secondly, which product has large bore tubes?

I’m only looking for a beautiful exhaust note and street drive-ability.
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 12:05 AM

yes, I think you should add

6) Various, for example OKP, Germany
2 piece euro manifold (euro downpipe to cat required)
Price: ca. 350$
Notes: designed by alfa engineers
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:39 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Secondly, which product has large bore tubes?
I doubt that anyone has details on all of the listed headers - a good project Call the vendors and ask them what are the primary, secondary and final tube diameters.
I don't know if any of your list have the flange issue but it would be more likely on cheaper ones and less likely on ones from performance oriented vendors.
If you search the ABB you will find reports on different headers which should help.
I would find a good used factory two piece manifold if I had a motor that was not built to make HP at high rpm.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:54 AM

Garage
My 2 cents the Spruell headers are very close to a design a buddy of mine came up with years ago on a 1600 race engine which he was extremely pleased with. As far as tonal quality who knows. Unless you are building a screamer engine, the stock alfa cast header, was ....engineered for the car.
davbert and Alfaboutvegas like this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:22 AM

Garage
I'm a fan of the Spruell header, but using it in a road going car creates issues, the third and fourth primary tubes come close to the over flow tank, and brake booster, so some sort of shielding needs to be addressed to prevent the the 4th primary tube from melting the overflow tank and number three goes close to brake booster. Food for thought.
pinshaw and andylarry like this.

Cars ruined my life! 😱
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:14 AM

i dont see my old school bundle of snake "sperry" beauties up there. i should have bought the jigs when i had a chance
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Window shopping for the best sounding headers:

Ahem . . . Headers don't "sound" (at least not much, anyway). Moreover, on a stock engine they may add a few hp but, IMHO, are more for looks and street-cred---not that such values are in any way bad . . . If you are looking for a better sounding exhaust, look to your exhsust system. Just putting on a straight "stinger" exhaust pipe will sound a lot better and cost a lot less money.
andylarry likes this.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #11 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbert View Post
i dont see my old school bundle of snake "sperry" beauties up there. i should have bought the jigs when i had a chance
Second that! #AlfaRomeoNoodleClub
Attached Images

pinshaw likes this.

~*~*~1986 Alfa Spider Graduate~*~*~
post #12 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:

And apparently the guy that bought 'em is just sitting on them. Sigh . . .
pinshaw likes this.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #13 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:39 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Headers for an Alfetta

I`m looking for a good set of steel (or stainless) headers for an Alfetta. The lower downpipes condition isn`t critical. But upper runners must be solid.
Rj
[email protected] or PM

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #14 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
Ahem . . . Headers don't "sound" (at least not much, anyway). Moreover, on a stock engine they may add a few hp but, IMHO, are more for looks and street-cred---not that such values are in any way bad . . . If you are looking for a better sounding exhaust, look to your exhsust system. Just putting on a straight "stinger" exhaust pipe will sound a lot better and cost a lot less money.
+1 for a stock 60's exh mani they are pretty darn good if your motor is near stock. they more dimensionally stable and dont have the extreme radiant heat to cook things around them in the engine compartment

they also have a proper engineered slight bevel on the mounting flange but i had open mine up for the anti reversion step along with the sloppy fitting gasket to go with my modified ports. a big thing with the aftermarket headers is you might have to bevel them yourself and make sure the gaskets aren't interfering with the ports. they can be misaligned in both planes if i recall correctly. I spend a day trimming and hogging them yourself because most engine builders will not go to these lengths unless you want to pay em a few extra $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
And apparently the guy that bought 'em is just sitting on them. Sigh . . .
jake still have the jigs? come to think of it mine might be for the TS... i cant remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketAce View Post
Second that! #AlfaRomeoNoodleClub
sweet, medusa headers are quintessential italian looking!

ive been warned that sperry's are fragile and a motorcycle flex type coupling is needed after the collector to avoid any stress fracturing.

Last edited by davbert; 02-18-2019 at 10:53 AM.
post #15 of 126 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
sweet, medusa headers are quintessential italian looking!

ive been warned that sperry's are fragile and a motorcycle flex type coupling is needed after the collector to avoid any stress fracturing.
Will do, was ready to get that done regardless! I can't figure out how the headers hook up to the collector for certain. It looks like the primaries are only secured to the collector by a single bolt on a bracket, which is welded on the lowest primary. Maybe that's another reason why they crack, all that leverage on a single point, etc...

Anyone ever fit a set of Sperry headers with a GTAM side pipe on a S3 Spider? Because that's 100% happening rather soon, unless you tell me it's a terrible idea

~*~*~1986 Alfa Spider Graduate~*~*~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode