Was the oil pan guard standard on S3 Spiders? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jclark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Was the oil pan guard standard on S3 Spiders?

Were engine guards for the oil pan standard issue on S3 cars?

Doug

Doug
1989 Spider Quadrifoglio S3 (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:07 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
They are aftermarket parts.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
There has been a lot of discussions about this topic. I have had two spiders in my life. My first one had a oil pan guard and my current one does not. Since I live in SF Bay Area I have never bottomed out. So I never really worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Gold Subscriber

Not sure if this helps. When I bought my 1974 (Series 2) Spider new from a dealer in early 1976, it came with the panguard. But that very well could have been a dealer add-on. Mine was one of the last 5 '74 spiders sold in L.A. so I was just pretty excited to get it at all. Didn't even ask about the guard...

Keeth Lawrence
1988 Spider Veloce
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:16 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Yes, I think it was a common dealer add-on, along with radios and side bump strips. Alfas of this period didn't have options, so dealers had limited means to make extra money on them.

I wouldn't use one. Had a Spider that hit a curb, the pan guard tore away and took the front sway bar mounts and radiator underneath area with it. Yes the engine was hurt, but that would have happened with or without the guard. Fixing the body was more work than fixing the engine.

Andrew
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 12:22 PM

They were a dealer installed factory option if there is such a thing ... part # 105.26.01.871.02 ... doubt there was a car that ever came out of the factory with it.

Agree with Andrew's observations ... if you hit it the wrong way rather than skidding with it over a bump it creates body damage ... the redeeming feature is that it ties the front body together .... if you jack the car up with it and then pull the bolts you can see the front drop.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 05:51 PM

Can you jack the front of the car up using the pan guard?

-Kevin
1988 Spider Veloce (with lots of 3D printed parts)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:16 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
Can you jack the front of the car up using the pan guard?
Yes, once.
Dbaliko likes this.

jeff

1982 Spider Veloce
1999 BMW R1100S
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeoblack View Post
There has been a lot of discussions about this topic. I have had two spiders in my life. My first one had a oil pan guard and my current one does not. Since I live in SF Bay Area I have never bottomed out. So I never really worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live in the same area - used to have a [well several] pan guard(s), but spent many weekends, removing it, pounding it back into a very close to original shape, rattle canning the thing back to gold or satin black. You don't have to, if you can stand the vibrations buzzing through the whole frame of the car anytime the pan moves a little ( how are your engine mounts testing ), depending how hard you smack something, where it's smacked, and how much the pan moves toward the guard.

Then I had an epiphany. Now I only scrape the pan on very steep drive ways. Still using the original pan.

I of course, have no strong opinion on this matter, just some experience spent on my back under the pan.

I spray paint other things now.

jeff

1982 Spider Veloce
1999 BMW R1100S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode