opinion: No start; 1750 Spider - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:25 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Be careful about swapping coils. The original Marelli with ballast resistor is hard to beat for a points system. If you still have the ballast resistor then your coil should be about 1.5 ohms. If you have removed the resistor then the coil should be about 3 ohms. However the 3 ohm coil )Bosch Blue or similar) will make weaker sparks during starting and at higher rpm than a 1.5 ohm coil + ballast resistor. If you connect a 1.5 ohm or less coil without a ballast resistor you will quickly bugger up the points and possibly overheat the coil.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:56 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRomeo1750 View Post
Engine spins very fast while cranking
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRomeo1750
Yes, I know the old rule about spark/air/fuel.
The actual rule is spark/fuel/compression. If your engine is spinning very fast, it may be because your compression is low. Have you tested it? Low compression + weak spark + stale fuel = no start.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-07-2019 at 07:16 AM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, engine has compression. Even pressure across all 4 cyl. Motor has been rebuilt. I know what youre saying... but I mean it spins fast with the starter as it should... to indicate proper voltage vs a poorly charged system. Not that God awful high speed spin that occurs when you bend valves... ask me how I know that noise.... or rather dont.... lol.

Last edited by AlfaRomeo1750; 02-07-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cylinder compression test. Pretty much same result across the board.
Attached Images

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well.... Its running. Sort of. Cyl #3 is weak/misfiring.

I took the plugs out, cleaned each one with solvent and a wire brush. Pulled some fuel out of my gas can with a cattle syringe and injected a small amount of fuel into each cylinder as I hand tightened back the spark plugs....

Got in... a couple of cranks.... and vroom... sort of. A lot of misfiring until the car came up to temp. Then the idle evened out.

I took it for a short drive hence the photo.... but as It went, it started missing on a single cylinder. So I turned around, drove home... and once I had the car under roof again, I started pulling plug wires with it running.

When I got to cyl#3 and pulled the lead off... no change in the idle.

Each other cylinder produced an appreciable change in the idle when the plug wire was removed....

So, either I have a dead plug.... or... bad wires. Because I've confirmed yesterday all cylinders were getting fuel.... and all have compression.

At least now it starts. Btw, removing the wire from the CSS didnt change anything... not judging the advice... just reporting no change.

Any other thoughts out there for tuning or diagnosis of cyl#3 issue?
Attached Images

goats likes this.

Last edited by AlfaRomeo1750; 02-07-2019 at 06:47 PM.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:06 PM

Garage
Had the same happen once. Swap the wire to another cylinder and see if the problem follows the wire or stays with the cylinder. I have had a single wire go bad before.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A bit off topic, but rather than start a new thread for a quick question... Where does one get a set of 4 new/rebuilt brake calipers? Vick Auto and Centerline International are both “out of stock”.

I know they sell rebuild kits, but my time is limited, no shops in my area want to touch brakes on a 48 year old car so Ive been looking for plug/play options. Ive done brake jobs in the past, but I want this job to be an afternoon adventure, not a weekend killer.

Im asking because the brake pedal felt a bit spongy tonight when I drove it. I have a new master cyl in a box of parts I keep on hand, so that will be going on soon. But I kinda like the idea with all new corners too...
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:29 PM
Platinum Subscriber

For brakes Miscellaneous Brake Components

Call (not email) Andy to verify stock.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:28 AM

Garage
Rock Auto has them. I have a friend who bought the Centrics and is happy with them

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...b,caliper,1704

71 Spider
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:41 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRomeo1750 View Post
A bit off topic, but rather than start a new thread for a quick question... Where does one get a set of 4 new/rebuilt brake calipers? Vick Auto and Centerline International are both “out of stock”.

I know they sell rebuild kits, but my time is limited, no shops in my area want to touch brakes on a 48 year old car so Ive been looking for plug/play options. Ive done brake jobs in the past, but I want this job to be an afternoon adventure, not a weekend killer.

Im asking because the brake pedal felt a bit spongy tonight when I drove it. I have a new master cyl in a box of parts I keep on hand, so that will be going on soon. But I kinda like the idea with all new corners too...
I would start with a good flush and replacing the rubber lines. I was having weird brake issues on my Berlina and bought rebuild kits but then noticed I had never replaced the brake lines. Once I swapped them out the brakes feel great again. The old lines were nearly swelled shut.

I'm pretty sure whatever rebuilt calipers you find will be cheap aftermarket versions. If you do go that route save your money nice Ate calipers and rebuild them later.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 164LS
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:53 AM
Platinum Subscriber

The link that I posted is for rebuilt Ate calipers. I too would always use rebuilt Ate over aftermarket parts.

I think that I have a good pair of Ate front calipers that I removed a couple of years ago when I switched to aluminum Brembo's. PM me if you want me to find them.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:17 PM

Sometimes it is just the weird stuff. I had a similar problem with my Spica equipped 1973 2 liter. I had it running nicely until one day, no start. Just as you did I started tracing the electrical system, fuel system, and so on. I spent days checking and measuring and doing it again. I started with the easy stuff and then progressed onto the more difficult and unlikely. Then I find myself staring at the engine. My eyes work their way from back to front until I am looking at the top on the injection pump belt. I reach down, touch the belt with my finger; and it falls off in pieces.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode