67 Duetto restoration - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
67 Duetto restoration

Hello Folks,

I am new to the forum. I have just started a complete restoration of a 1967 Duetto I acquired a few years ago. The car came from New Mexico, so the rust was limited. I just got the body back after repair's and painting before Christmas. Attched are a few pictres of the car in my shop.

This weekend I will install the new stainless brake and fuel lines I picked up from Inline tube, and on Thursday will bring the engine parts to the machine shop for new valve seats, crank machining, etc.

I want to use the forum to share my progress and reach out for technical assistance when needed. I did this a few years ago on Ferrari chat when restoring our 308GT4 and found it very helpful.

I will try post regular as things progress. Feel free to comment of offer any advice you may have as Alfas are new for me.

Marc Trahan
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019, 09:58 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

So far, you seem right on track. You even figured out that the rigid brake lines must be the first components to go back into the body.

I'm envious of your workspace!

Feel free to ask any detailed questions as your restoration progresses.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Old 02-01-2019, 11:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahanm View Post
This weekend I will install the new stainless brake and fuel lines I picked up from Inline tube
Welcome Marc. Nice shop space and collection.

Did you send your existing lines to Inline Tube? I've looked there in the past and found only old American cars listed.

Thanks -

1967 1600 Spider

Last edited by Vivace; 02-01-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019, 11:14 AM
Gold Subscriber

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
So far, you seem right on track. You even figured out that the rigid brake lines must be the first components to go back into the body.

I'm envious of your workspace!

Feel free to ask any detailed questions as your restoration progresses.
What Alfajay said!! Nice!!

1989 Alfa Romeo Spider
1981 Porsche 911 SC
1966 Porsche 912
1967 Porsche 912
1975 Porsche 914
1966 VW bug
1965 VW baja bug
1985 Land Cruiser
1985 Toyota pick up 4x4
1989 Jaguar Van Der Plas
Norton 750 CS
Husqvarna 1975 360 CR
Old 02-02-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Inline tube has the data to produce the fuel lines and the brake lines. I saw them listed on e bay. They all fit perfect, except I think they gave me the kit for the car with the brake booster, so I do not have the correct two lines that go to the master cylinder I will go over Monday with my two old brake lines as they are only 8 miles from my house.

Marc
Old 02-02-2019, 09:55 AM

Garage
Well that's handy!

I'm just off to pick up some Cunifer brake pipes for my son's E30, which we're refurbishing bit by bit. Metric BMW bubble flares at NAPA no less!

Thanks -

1967 1600 Spider
Old 02-02-2019, 11:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

Marc,

Great looking Duetto (and shop).

I've also got the brake line kit from Inline Tube. Other projects keep me from getting them installed on my Duetto project. So, I don't have any advice or feedback on their installation.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahanm View Post
Inline tube has the data to produce the fuel lines and the brake lines.
I took a look at the site https://www.inlinetube.com/ If you select "Preformed Lines" you get taken to a page where you can input your car's make and year, but the only options are US cars. Are you saying that they can also supply pre-flared Alfa brake (and fuel) lines if you ask them?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-02-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Jay,

Yes, they have them, or can make them. I asked the sales person I spoke with why they don't show up on their web site. He said they have over 10,000 SKU's and they are slowly building the site to reflect their total portfolio.

Give them a call, you will be surprised.

There are a few good things about living in the Detroit area. They are every close. Once years ago I was in a critical situation having to get a Lamborghini Jarama I was selling ready for shipment, and needed a crossover pipe on one of the front calipers that was damaged . They made it for me while I waited and charged me 12$

Marc
JCDK likes this.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lines are in

Installed the fuel and brake lines, and reinstalled the wiring. Also delivered all the engine parts to the machinist. Will have new beryllium valve seats installed with new guides and valves, and the crank machined to second size under (it already has been machined to 1st size under).

Inline tube it seems does not have the brake line data for the non-servo cars. So they used my original lines to make the two that connect to the master cylinder. They will use that data to now offer the non-servo set. What they produced did not fit exactly, but with a little bending they now fit well, and I am pretty satisfied with the outcome.

Next more odds and ends, then the suspension and rear axle.

Marc
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2019, 12:24 PM

have you considered if the crank would need to be re-nitrided, as you are going 2nd undersize?

My understanding is the alfa cranks can handle a 1st undersize without the need to be re-nitrided (the nitride will be a little softer as you cut into it, but still fine for a street car)
but won't a 2nd undersize need to be re-nitrided??

Maybe the engine builders here can comment

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderseries4
have you considered if the crank would need to be re-nitrided, as you are going 2nd undersize?
My understanding is that only 2L cranks were nitrided. So a 1600 crank wouldn't have any hardness difference between uncut, 1st undersize or 2nd undersize.

But sure, nitriding any crank after grinding would probably increase its life. As I recall, it cost me ~$100 to have a 2L crank nitrided after grinding - this was ~10 years ago. The cost of nitrogen may have gone up since then.
ossodiseppia and spiderserie4 like this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Old 03-03-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Latest update

It has been a few weeks since I have been able to work on the Duetto. However, managed to get in a few days this week.

Almost finished the heater box. Just waiting on a grommet. Got the insulation installed on the firewall so I can install the finished heater box. Reassembled the final drive after replacing a bearing and seal (everything else looks fine, these things are robust it seems).

Also started to install some of the suspension.

It will be another weeek or so until I can get back at it as we are off to Amelia tomorrow. The auctions are always fun, and sometimes tempting.

At the risk of boasting, we had a very memorable moment last Monday while visiting our son in LA. We visited Jay Leno in his garage. Now there is a serious collection of cars. He was also very gracious and made sure to spend a few moments with ius.

Marc
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2019, 12:15 PM

My early Duetto came with front and rear Dunlop brakes, and no brake booster. The car seems to stop as well as a roundtail with a servo and ATE brakes all around. You do have to be careful to size your master cylinder properly. There are two sizes, one goes in a nonbooster car and the other in a servo car. Be sure you check what you have before you install your engine and transmission. It's much easier to fix things with no tranny in the way. Get the air out and work the brake system before your engine/tranny are in. Definition of an expert is someone who has made all the mistakes. I had a small leak on the rear of my master cylinder after I installed my tranny. Don't have that happen to you.

You are fortunate with such a nice garage, meeting Jay Leno, and being so close to a great Detroit area Alfa community.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Dr. G for the advice. My car has ATE calipers and is non-boosted. I will double check the master cylinder and bleed and check the brakes before installing the drive train. The master cylinder looks identical to the one I took off.

Yes, you are correct. It was not always like this, but I count my blessings every day and take none of this for granted.

Marc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in