67 Duetto restoration - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
door handles and other stuff

Due to my Achilles tendon rupture and subsequent surgery, I have a lot of time to work successive days on the Duetto. I have learned to do things while on a knee scooter. Things takes longer, but surprising what happens when you work days in a row on the car, stuff gets done.

Got the flasher switch all figured out and installed in it correct postion. Thanks again for everyones collective help with this.

I installed the new dash top I got though Mr. Fiat to the repainted metal dash panels. As some of you have already advised, of course it did not match. The center bolt hole did not align, but worse is the molding left an approx. 45 degree mating surface where the metals panels are secured with studs. So with the help of a pneumatic cutter and die grinder I was able to get a nice 90 degree angle, but then had to shim the area above the glove box to get a sufficient distance of the upper (black) dash lip in order for the glove box door to open.

After about 3.5 hours of work, everything appears to fit and is ready for install.

Next I disassembled the gauges to clean the inside of the lenses and touch up flaked paint on the needles. Tested them elctricall to see that they all function. They did the last time I drove the car, so we should be fine. Also polished the bezels.

Got all the dash wiring figured out (I did label most it when it was dissasembled) and updated all the gauge lights to LED's

Started to reinstall some of the re-plated chrome. Like some people have commented, of course I forgot how the door handles are assembled. I finally figured it our and included pictures of the assembly sequence here if other might need the in the future.

I have ordered all the remaining bits I need to finish the dash (two switches, radio filler plate, cowl drains, etc). Our son is coming into town this week from LA, so I will ask him to help install the dash after I have all the parts.

Still looking for a machinist to do my cylinder head. I recall mention of someone in the Detroit area. Any further advice. I need valve seat and guides installed, and all the required machining.

Marc
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode