67 Duetto restoration - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 03:54 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Marc, I would do a bit better on that insulation. It's going to come back to haunt you when the carpet gets installed. That stuff needs to be pretty contoured to the drive shaft tunnel and the transmission hump.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:45 PM
Interesting regarding Inline Tube. I've used them numerous times and while I like them, they are a bit of a moving target. I've given them sets to digitize and they've told me that they've done it. When I've gone to reorder them - no digitized data. Fortunately I had the originals to replicate.

Anymore, I buy the stainless tubing in rolls from Inline directly and fabricate my own.

Marc, we're in your backyard (Warren) you are welcome to stop by anytime...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:59 AM

Great looking car Marc, please keep sharing pics and updates.

Eliseo Carrillo
105.30....Scalino
101.23....Little Green Spider - now back home with Dr. Rex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I did a trial install on the carpet and it seemed to work ok. I was more concerned about the firewall so i could get the heater box installed. I plan on using dynamat for the floor, and perhaps I will use that on the tunnel as well.

The only carpet is on the tunnel, everything else is rubber mats.

Marc
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:59 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahanm View Post
I did a trial install on the carpet and it seemed to work ok. I was more concerned about the firewall so i could get the heater box installed. I plan on using dynamat for the floor, and perhaps I will use that on the tunnel as well.

The only carpet is on the tunnel, everything else is rubber mats.

Marc
The drive shaft tunnel carpet needs to fit smoothly over the contours. Originally, there was no jute insulation over the drive shaft tunnel. It was on the firewall, floors and transmission hump.

The drive shaft tunnel originally had an asphalt based covering over it, like in the picture below. This allows the carpet to fit snugly over the tunnel.

If you leave that jute on there, you most likely will have issues the the hand brake staying all of the way down.
Attached Images

Brian __________________________________

post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
More progress

Have made some recent progress. Heater box rebuilt with new heater core and water valve. Was able to disassemble fan motor and free up the bearings. Also heat wrinkle painted the controls to match the original finish and installed the unit. Both front and rear suspension also installed. Will start on the steering box today.

Only bad news is I think my machinist has ruined the cylinder head. Now the new exhaust valve guides are lose in the heads. My suspicion is they damaged the bores when they removed the original guides. Will see in the next week how they resolve this.

Also got a new dash from Mr. Fiat. Just dashboards in California wanted 1150$ with a 4 month lead time to refinish my damaged orginal (it had a cover on it). This new one was 650$. It looks and fits good.

Marc
Attached Images

post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Dash

Here is a pic of the new dashboard
Attached Images

deepblue likes this.
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:41 PM

Very nice. Question: Did you check the angle for the bolt attachment points between the dash and metal? 67 and 69 are different.
Steve Hanniford at Progressive Automotive would never have done that kind of cylinder head job.
post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
Does anyone know if Dean Russell with Trail Auto is still open?

Excellent mechanic in the Detroit area.

Thanks

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgbalfa View Post
Does anyone know if Dean Russell with Trail Auto is still open?

Excellent mechanic in the Detroit area.

Thanks

Dean is indeed still around and still am excellent mechanic.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:39 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
Very nice. Question: Did you check the angle for the bolt attachment points between the dash and metal? 67 and 69 are different.
Steve Hanniford at Progressive Automotive would never have done that kind of cylinder head job.
I just got my 1600 Cylinder Head back from Steve. I'd also recommend his services. BTW - Progressive Automotive is in Tacoma, WA
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:53 AM

Garage
Marc, your beautiful Duetto is progressing nicely. You have a great shop/garage and very eclectic taste in automobiles. I am sorry about the head work and was concerned that replacing the valve seats and guides would be an issue.

My Duetto engine and transmission are out of the car and the engine parts are scattered all over the garage as I am trying to decide what to replace and where to get it. Several suppliers offer 'OEM' pistons and liners but I thank Borgo and Mahle supplied them originally. I see yours are Niiral, which I believe Classic Alfa supplies. I doubt that they were an OEM supplier, perhaps the compression ration 9.0:1 is 'OEM'. Can anyone here vouch for Niiral pistons and liners; is one type better than another? How about rings? It seems like you always need to use rings other than those that come with the pistons...

I plan use Viton o-ring seals everywhere possible (with roll pins already in the block). The alternatives rubber seals all seem to dry out, shrink and leak! Viton seals are available as an upgrade to the engine 'kit' or they can all be purchased separately.

Engine OH 1600 9.5:1 STREET COMPLETE OEM Pistons - Spruell Motorsport, Inc - Alfa Romeo Performance Your Store for Sports Car Performance and Racing Parts

VITON Head Gasket O-Ring Seal Set (6). Add $7.00.
VITON Ultimate No Leak Engine O-Ring Seal Kit. Add $19.00.
6 head gasket double seal o-rings
1 front cover double seal oil passage o-ring
1 oil pump o-ring seal
1 distributor o-ring seal
Liner seals (?)

Just for the record, Paul Spruell is my kids 'great' uncle. I have no commercial interest there and likely receive no discount on parts I buy but strongly recommend Viton wherever you get it!

Oh and while we are at it, we should both replace our nasty ground straps as shown in post 10, third photo down. Dirt and corrosion diminish their ability to provide a good ground (as does paint and undercoating, if your strap was removed while the body was prepared and painted).

Mark

Last edited by IRONBLOCK; 04-07-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:03 AM
Gold Subscriber

From the picture of the heater box, you have installed the lower section 180 degrees out. The door for the floor heat is supposed to be facing the rear of the car. Also the axle straps should go nto the top of the body , then the aluminiun spacer then the bump stop. I can send some pic if needed. My car is on the way back from a complete restoration. Good luck nice job enjoy the the progress!
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Heater box

Mark,

OMG, I can't believe I made such an error on the heater box. This is probably the 5th one I have done.

How I got into all this Alfa stuff is a friend of mine that works on Alfas. We met at various car shows as we have similar car collections (although his is way better). In any event, I ended up helping him put a couple of days a week now that I am retired. One period of time I rebuilt about 4 of these in a row for him. I know that flap goes to rear. Over they years I have helped him build races cars, rebuilt GTA's, etc.

I guess what happened is once I had it together, I had to take it apart again as the fan motor di not sound right one it was installed, and obviously was not paying attention. Thanks for catching this.

My friend supplied me with the pistons and cylinder's. I trust his judgment 100%.

Marc
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
heater box

Mark,

All fixed. Again, thanks for catching this.

A far as the rear axle straps. I followed what is shown in the parts manual.

Marc
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Rear axle parts image.pdf (333.0 KB, 28 views)
IRONBLOCK likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode