Spider VVT Solenoid - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By spiderserie4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Spider VVT Solenoid

I tested my VVT solenoid with 12volt and nothing happens. The plunger has been cleaned. Is there anyway to get into it and fix the electronics for does anyone have one available?

Robby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozment View Post
I tested my VVT solenoid with 12volt and nothing happens. The plunger has been cleaned. Is there anyway to get into it and fix the electronics for does anyone have one available?

Robby
Where did you apply the 12v? If you put +12v on one of the two male spade terminals on the end of the solenoid (and the other one to ground), then the solenoid itself is likely bad if it did not extend. I don't think that the solenoid itself is repairable, but used ones are available.

If you were applying 12v somewhere else, we need to understand what you did.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:41 AM

what year spider do you have? is it S3 with the white electronics gizmo on the end, or just a rubber boot with 2 spade connectors (S4)?

you say you have cleaned the plunger, do you mean the little plunger that goes thru the cam cover, or, do you mean you have opened the solenoid and cleaned that big plunger?

photo (thanks to mcola/Mike!) shows big plunger inside the solenoid itself.
If that moves freely and the solenoid electronics/coil itself is broken, there is no fix.
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 01-09-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

VVT solenoid assembly

I have a good one from a low mileage `91 motronic. Send me a pm if interested. In fact I am removing the entire Motronic package if anyone would be interested in it.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

It's a 1988. I took the plastic end off and cleaned the big plunger inside. I applied + to one of the male spades and - to the other male spade. Also, I applied the - to the body of the solenoid and the + to each of the males spades separately. Not even a spark.
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozment View Post
It's a 1988. I took the plastic end off and cleaned the big plunger inside. I applied + to one of the male spades and - to the other male spade. Also, I applied the - to the body of the solenoid and the + to each of the males spades separately. Not even a spark.
then it is kaputt. I'm afraid.
In your hands you'd feel the solenoid move and hear it click.
You could, I suppose, tap the unit with a hammer...see if you get anything out of it that way....

Of course you also do not know for sure if the big white plastic endpiece with the transistorized internals is working. It could also be bad - a double failure.
That you will only know if you attach a good working VVT solenoid to it, and crank the throttle thru about 55

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
then it is kaputt. I'm afraid.
In your hands you'd feel the solenoid move and hear it click.
You could, I suppose, tap the unit with a hammer...see if you get anything out of it that way....

Of course you also do not know for sure if the big white plastic endpiece with the transistorized internals is working. It could also be bad - a double failure.
That you will only know if you attach a good working VVT solenoid to it, and crank the throttle thru about 55
@spiderserie4 makes a good point about the electronics in the white plastic endpiece -- these are subject to failure and are not available new. You can do an electrical test on that component to see if it is working. With the key "on" (engine off), open the throttle all the way using the throttle lever on the intake manifold. With a voltmeter, measure the voltage across the two female connectors inside the white plastic endpiece. If the electronics are good, you will get 12V across those terminals. (There is also an in-line fuse located near the coolant overflow bottle inside the right fender, so if the electrical test fails, a bad fuse might be the problem).

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 AM

as a side note, the solenoid activates when 12v is applied (ie throttle is open), the small plunger sticks out. But is it supposed to go back in when 12v is no longer applied?

89 spider grad
76 alfetta GT long gone
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by viken69 View Post
as a side note, the solenoid activates when 12v is applied (ie throttle is open), the small plunger sticks out. But is it supposed to go back in when 12v is no longer applied?
Yes. If it doesn't, it is likely just gummed up with grease & grime. Cleaning should correct it.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:14 PM

I have a 1986 Spider. With the key on I only see 8.6 volts. Does that seem normal or should I see a full 12 ?
Thanks
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkflynn4427 View Post
I have a 1986 Spider. With the key on I only see 8.6 volts. Does that seem normal or should I see a full 12 ?
Thanks
sounds correct.

quote from a 10 year old VVT thread:
"BTW, papajam discovered that the harness puts around 8 volts to the solinoid, not 12 like one would expect.....
Vintre likes this.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Hey Alfa7,
I'm new here and apparently have posted enough to PM. Maybe you can PM me.
Robby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode