Cleaning the Sump - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ghnl
  • 1 Post By divotandtralee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning the Sump

Now that I got my car running again I went to put the sump guard back on and decided I needed to clean off the sump and guard. What a mess! The guard wasn't too bad, using solvent and a paint scraper but the finned sump was tough. I ended up using a screwdriver between the fins and its still not great.

I suppose I can spray it at the self wash but its hard to get at. How do you guys keep the sump clean?

Mitch

Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:44 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Initially it needs a lot of elbow grease. I use spray on engine degreaser & brake cleaner spray. Borrow your mother-in-laws toothbrush to get in between the fins. Wear gloves (you don't want to catch any diseases from your mother-in-law...).

Once you get it clean, regular maintenance is a lot easier. Clean it after each oil change before the crud has a chance to accumulate and turn into oily concrete.
nickypp likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Garage
I've been dealing with the same thick decades old oil and dirt and agree with Ghnl (Eric) and want to add using a McCulloch steam cleaner has helped a lot. It's still a fiddly job but at least you get the healing properties of steam infused with oil and antique road grime.

1985 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Why didn't I think of that, I've even got a toothbrush in my toolbox, though I expect it will take more than 1!

Mitch

Mitch
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:35 PM

Garage
I have both a spider with a guard and with out. I was kind of worried at first with my current Alfa do to the fact of it does not have a guard. 4 years later never came close to having any issues. Long store short I say no guard. This allows you to clean the oil pan after every oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

The roads here in Denver can be pretty bad in places. A couple of years back I went over some sunken light rail tracks and managed to put a dent in the hood. Fortunately the guard protected the sump from real damage. Even though I'm pretty careful, all it takes is 1 moment of inattention.

Mitch

Mitch
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchW View Post
Now that I got my car running again I went to put the sump guard back on and decided I needed to clean off the sump and guard. What a mess! The guard wasn't too bad, using solvent and a paint scraper but the finned sump was tough. I ended up using a screwdriver between the fins and its still not great.

I suppose I can spray it at the self wash but its hard to get at. How do you guys keep the sump clean?

Mitch
Go to the car wash, late, when no one is around ...Insert 8 quarters ... select wash ...gravel... done... if you must bring your own ramps
horsewidower likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:55 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Suggest, when it is oil change time, that you remove the lower sump component so you can easily clean it on your bench or if you are lucky in a parts washing sink. Might still need the mother-in-laws tooth brush

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:10 PM

use a brass wire brush such as one used to clean up welds. they cost about 75 cents here in san diego and you can buy em at harbor freight.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Gold Subscriber

I begin by attacking it with this degreaser: https://www.dollartree.com/bulk/Degreaser

A buddy turned me on to it because the excellent result he had with it cleaning his parts cleaning machine. I'll spray it on, let it dwell, agitate with a brush and then use hot water in a gallon pump-up sprayer to clean it off.

If I'm not making progress, I'll use a gelled hand cleaner (original "gojo" non-pumice), apply it thick and let it sit for quite awhile. Agitate, then, again, spray with hot water.

A face shield is a nice addition to the personal protection equipment during this bit of work.

Bob

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:54 PM

Purple Power, flat screw driver and your mother in law's best hand towels. Don't let it sit on the aluminum long and use BrakeKeen to go over it again.

Darkside Member
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Platinum Subscriber

This is the stuff I've been using for a long time. Using 100% will damage paint. I always have a 50% (88) - 50% (water) spray bottle in the shop. Makes for great hand cleaner (50%) too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Formula-...4312/100145974

(Little) Washington, NC Incorporated 1776
Red 1959 Spider Conrero Veloce 100,000 miles
sold 1966 ( I had no idea what I had there.)
Red 1967 Spider 100,000 miles sold 1974
Red 1987 Milano 100,000 miles sold 1994
Red 1969 Spider 109,000 Miles in the garage, Sold
Dark Blue 1974 Spider (arriving soon)

We need a law, one that says every male gets a 10 car garage on his 16th birthday so that when he is 60 years old he will never have to say "**** I wish I had never sold that car".
(No, I did not put those "****" up there the system did... )

Question: Do they really make Alfas in any other color then red?
Answer: Well they really do. I fell in love with a Dark Blue Spider on BAT.
I have not done over to the dark side, only the Blue side.
It took me 50 years to see the light..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode