Duetto engine removal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 197 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Duetto engine removal

Hi All,
I have a quick question regarding pulling the engine from my Duetto: do i remove the bolts from the engine mounts that are threaded into the car frame or the bolts going into the engine block?
thanks for the help!
Mark
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 197 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:43 PM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

I remove the 2 that are on the frame.
Completely remove the one on top as it's a bolt while the one the bottom is a nut on a stud so it only need be loosened some half way.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #3 of 197 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

awesome thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 197 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:54 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

I agree with what Papajam wrote. But I also remove the left side mount from the block (the exhaust side) just to allow the engine some side-to-side movement. Also that mount can snag/scratch things as the engine comes out.

Don't forget to disconnect the tach cable, ground strap, speedometer cable and back-up light wiring.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #5 of 197 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:19 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Don't forget to jack the rear of the car up, if you are removing the transmission with the engine.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 197 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks All!
I’m sure i’ll Have more questions, but all this info should help me get the engine out.....then I’ll worry about figuring out why the bottom of the engine is covered in oil and anti freeze ��.
Regards
Mark
post #7 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

ok almost out! my engine hoist's boom is just about six inches short when reaching over the nose though. has anyone had success pulling the engine and tranny with the hoist positioned from the side of the car? i'm not sure how the geometry would work. also, could i pull two of the valve cover studs and attach my tilt lift adapter to them to assist in tilting the engine? would the valve cover stud holes in the head hold the weight of the engine/tranny combo?
thanks!
Mark
Attached Images

post #8 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgberry View Post
has anyone had success pulling the engine and tranny with the hoist positioned from the side of the car?
Nope, I've never tried that.

The hoist needs to move away from the front of the car as the engine/trans snakes out of the tunnel. I'm not getting how your hoist would: a) move sideways or b) get past the front wheel. But without seeing your set-up, it is difficult to evaluate how it would work.

Quote:
could i pull two of the valve cover studs and attach my tilt lift adapter to them to assist in tilting the engine? would the valve cover stud holes in the head hold the weight of the engine/tranny combo?
No, I wouldn't trust two 8 mm studs threaded into aluminum cam caps to support the weight of the engine/trans.

Not clear to me why you need a tilting lift adapter. Most people - myself included - just put the lifting hook on the second pair of head studs (that's one pair forward of where your's appears to be). This balance point lifts the engine/trans at the right angle to come out.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 01-01-2019 at 09:44 PM.
post #9 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jay. Good point about the valve cover bolts.
Regards
Mark
post #10 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:16 AM

I'm really surprised you say the nose of your engine hoist is too short. Does the hoist nose not extend, or is it just that you can't get it close enough to the car coz the feet are hitting something?....in which case what's getting in the way? The Alfa isn't a loooong car, just low, so...
- Is it hitting the wheels? Put it on jackstands and take them off...
- Is it hitting the suspension bits or sump? Raise the car a bit....jackstands again.
I have previously approached a car with a hoist slightly askew, and things went ok, but not fully to the side.
post #11 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:43 AM

Mark

This one's from years ago when I used to struggle ...... https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...ngine-out.html

Hope it helps
post #12 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:59 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
For my S3, my hoist is not deep enough to re-install the engine without hitting the front of the car on the hoist. I put the car on a lift (only raise it a little), remove the left front wheel, and put the hoist on the driver side, moving it sideways I and helpers ease the engine/transmission back into place.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #13 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
I'm really surprised you say the nose of your engine hoist is too short. Does the hoist nose not extend, or is it just that you can't get it close enough to the car coz the feet are hitting something?....in which case what's getting in the way? The Alfa isn't a loooong car, just low, so...
- Is it hitting the wheels? Put it on jackstands and take them off...
- Is it hitting the suspension bits or sump? Raise the car a bit....jackstands again.
I have previously approached a car with a hoist slightly askew, and things went ok, but not fully to the side.
yeah the boom is 50 inches long and the hydraulic cylinder that raises it touches the nose of the car without the hook being able to reach the lifting point yet. i'm going to go look at a lift at the local rental yard today and see if it's any longer. if not i'm going to buy a longer piece of square tubing and fabricate a longer boom for the hoist i'm using now.
i'm not in a rush. it'll come out when it comes out. this is my first Alfa so i'm having to learn everything (things i didn't know i needed to learn). it's been interesting!
thanks everyone for your replies.
mark
post #14 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgberry View Post
this is my first Alfa so i'm having to learn everything (things i didn't know i needed to learn). it's been interesting!
Mark:

If you're open to more suggestions, I would recommend removing the exhaust headers and air box (or even the box + the carbs) from the engine before pulling it. And wouldn't re-install them until after it has been put back in.

Others will chime in that they have pulled engines that looked exactly like your picture (reproduced below). And I'm not disagreeing; just saying that it is easier, and will put fewer scratches in your underhood paint, if the engine has less stuff attached.

I would also remove the hood latch on the center/back of the firewall. That's in the "line of fire".

Be sure to use a lot of towels / blankets / cardboard on the firewall, radiator support and fenderwells to prevent scratching. This is most important on re-installation.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 01-02-2019 at 09:46 AM.
post #15 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

i was going to ask if anyone thought it might be a good idea to pull the header. nobody mentioned it previously so i figured it would be OK to leave it on. carbs too huh? I've been looking at those carbs and wondering how the heck anybody removes and replaces them while they're in the car! i was hoping to do all that work on the engine stand
thanks!
mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode