Duetto engine removal - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

thanks Jim,
i ordered the viton O rings that you sent a link for as well. anything else you might suggest while the head is off? i was thinking about an oil pump but they're not cheap and i don't know how often they actually go bad. how about the timing chain? is that a common replacement item?
here's your chance to live vicariously through my credit card
mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:39 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I would at least have the head surfaced at the machine shop. But your this far into it you might as well have them do a valve job.

Also get the Reinzosil sealant. Its much better then the Permatex grey most use.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #48 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgberry View Post
i was thinking about an oil pump but they're not cheap and i don't know how often they actually go bad. how about the timing chain? is that a common replacement item?
We can't really answer that without knowing a) how many miles on your engine since its last rebuild and b) what your oil pressure was like.

Oil pumps and timing chains last a long time. However, if you are doing a total rebuild after 75,000 + miles, then it is normal to replace them. On the other hand, if the oil pressure was OK, the pump is probably fine. As the next post will no doubt clarify, when pressure is low, it is usually worn bearings, not a bad pump.

How about your water pump? They last fewer miles than the oil pumps and although it is possible to replace a water pump on an installed engine (unlike the oil pump), it's still easier to do a water pump when the engine is out.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 01-09-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I forgot you also need to order these. The ones everybody else sells including the ones in the Reinz gasket set are the wrong size.

Seal Engine Rear Main (Pair) - Spruell Motorsport, Inc - Alfa Romeo Performance and Racing Parts Your Store for Sports Car Performance and Racing Parts

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
I forgot you also need to order these. The ones everybody else sells including the ones in the Reinz gasket set are the wrong size.

Seal Engine Rear Main (Pair) - Spruell Motorsport, Inc - Alfa Romeo Performance and Racing Parts Your Store for Sports Car Performance and Racing Parts
Rats! i'll call Spruell in the morning and see if He's shipped the other items yet. i ordered his aluminum weber carburetor mounts as well. i'm sending my carbs to Top End Performance in LA too.
thanks
mark
post #51 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
We can't really answer that without knowing a) how many miles on your engine since its last rebuild and b) what your oil pressure was like.

Oil pumps and timing chains last a long time. However, if you are doing a total rebuild after 75,000 + miles, then it is normal to replace them. On the other hand, if the oil pressure was OK, the pump is probably fine. As the next post will no doubt clarify, when pressure is low, it is usually worn bearings, not a bad pump.

How about your water pump? They last fewer miles than the oil pumps and although it is possible to replace a water pump on an installed engine (unlike the oil pump), it's still easier to do a water pump when the engine is out.
thanks for your input on the timing chain and oil pump Jay. i know you're right about the oil pump; i just don't know if people have found changing them without rebuilding the engine bottom end has increased oil pressure and proved to be a worthwhile investment. i have no idea how many miles this engine has on it, but i do know it has been out before. that could have been for a lot of different reasons. my oil pressure is within tolerance but unnervingly low on the gauge that stares me in the face .
post #52 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
To late to do it now. But its always best to test the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. The Alfa gauge is not that accurate.

Also the oil pump can be change with the engine in the car by just taking off the lower pan.

post #53 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

i bought a mechanical oil pressure gauge to cross check the stock sending unit(after changing the sending unit). the mechanical gauge showed that the engine was producing about 11PSI at 800 RPM. the word i got here in a post i started last summer is that 10 PSI for every 1000 RPM should be good. it just drives me nuts looking at that oil pressure indicating almost zero.
mark
post #54 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Hi All,
Well I unbolted everything and the head just pulled right off! Thatís good right? Iíve read several posts here about heads not wanting to come off, so I was definitely worried.
So I have the gasket kit from Spruell, the head is going to a well known, local, import speciality, machine shop for a valve job and a re-surfacing...can anyone advise of other common work that is prudent to do at this point? How about the head studs? Theyíre a little rusty. Should they be changed before replacing the head? I always did that on the British BMC engines.
Regards
Mark
Attached Images

post #55 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:52 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgberry View Post
How about the head studs? They’re a little rusty. Should they be changed before replacing the head? I always did that on the British BMC engines.
No, don't mess with the head studs. At most, maybe clean up the threads with a wire brush.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #56 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
No, don't mess with the head studs. At most, maybe clean up the threads with a wire brush.
Thanks Jay.
post #57 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:10 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Roll pins for the 6 oil passages were the orings go.

Measure the diameter of your hole and let me know the size. I might have some of the good ones.

post #58 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Measure the diameter of your hole and let me know the size. I might have some of the good ones.

Oh yeah that was another question I had. I'll look at those tonight. I haven't looked at the head since pulling it off (work is crazy right now), but there were random O rings laying on the block over those holes when I pulled the head off. I assumed they just fit into the gasket somehow; I'll look for the roll pins on the head and measure the hole diameter in the block?...or pull a roll pin and measure the diameter of [it's] hole?
Thanks for the help
Mark
post #59 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Jim my block only had two pins in it; each at opposite ends of the block. The holes for them to match up with in the head were .315Ē. The pins measured .317 and .319 (which is a bit confusing, but obviously fit). The oil passage holes are much smaller and donít have roll pins installed.
Thanks!
Mark
Attached Images

post #60 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 12:11 PM

those two are the alignment dowel pins.
the roll pins fit into the 6 oil passages.

iirc. there is a size difference for 1300/1600 or 2000/1750 engines (when ordering roll pins)

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode