Duetto engine removal - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:04 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgberry View Post
i was going to ask if anyone thought it might be a good idea to pull the header. nobody mentioned it previously so i figured it would be OK to leave it on.
My guess is that the headers will hang up on that "fence" that surrounds the battery tray. Later spiders don't have that "fence" (OK, they have a removable, plastic one).

Quote:
carbs too huh?
I'm not saying the engine won't come out with the carbs and airbox in place; just that it's one more thing to bang up the fusebox and fenderwell and it will get in your way when you want to line up the R motormount.

Quote:
I've been looking at those carbs and wondering how the heck anybody removes and replaces them while they're in the car! i was hoping to do all that work on the engine stand
Oh it's not that bad. You can reach under the carbs with both arms, R arm in front, L arm behind, and install the washers + nuts. It's worthwhile chasing the threads on the carb mounts to make sure the nuts will spin by hand.

Also: There is some play in how the carb mounts fit the manifold, carbs fit the mounts. Assemble all this while the engine is on the stand - if you just bolt the mounts + carbs without test fitting, you may find that the airbox won't span the two carbs properly.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
I would also remove the hood latch on the center/back of the firewall. That's in the "line of fire".
That's one thing I wish I would have thought of when I pulled the engine out of my '88.

+1 on blankets and towels to protect the car.

-Kevin
1988 Spider Veloce (with lots of 3D printed parts)
post #18 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
My guess is that the headers will hang up on that "fence" that surrounds the battery tray. Later spiders don't have that "fence" (OK, they have a removable, plastic one).

thanks for that tip!

I'm not saying the engine won't come out with the carbs and airbox in place; just that it's one more thing to bang up the fusebox and fenderwell and it will get in your way when you want to line up the R motormount.

thanks for that tip too! i didn't realize it would bang around that much.

Oh it's not that bad. You can reach under the carbs with both arms, R arm in front, L arm behind, and install the washers + nuts. It's worthwhile chasing the threads on the carb mounts to make sure the nuts will spin by hand.

Also: There is some play in how the carb mounts fit the manifold, carbs fit the mounts. Assemble all this while the engine is on the stand - if you just bolt the mounts + carbs without test fitting, you may find that the airbox won't span the two carbs properly.
so mount the carbs to the airbox on the bench, mount the carb mounts to the manifold on the engine stand then mount the carbs/airbox to the carb mounts once the engine is in? or mount everything on the engine while on the stand then remove what item(s) for reinstallation after the engine is in?
thanks Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgberry View Post
so mount the carbs to the airbox on the bench, mount the carb mounts to the manifold on the engine stand then mount the carbs/airbox to the carb mounts once the engine is in? or mount everything on the engine while on the stand then remove what item(s) for reinstallation after the engine is in?
I guess either way would work, though I tend to do the latter. The two carbs plus the airbox is sort of an unwieldy assembly to try to put into place.

Actually, now that I think about it, it can be as simple as leaving the carb-to-carb mount nuts loose until the airbox goes on.

My point is simply that there is some play in the carb mounting and carb mounting holes, so you can end up with some variation in the carb-carb spacing. Unless you verify that the eight airbox mounting studs/holes line up before cinching down the carbs, they probably won't line up.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #20 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Ok got it! I pulled 'em along with the header. I loosened the left motor mount from the block as well so that I can take it off once the hoist is hooked up and the weight is off. I'll take the oil filter assembly off too. I should be able to pull it tonight after I finish fabricating a longer boom for the cherry picker I'm using.
How's the weather in San Juan Capistrano right now? Sunny and 72 I would guess. I love that place! We're moving back to So Cal when I'm done at Boeing in a few years.
Thanks for the help!
Mark
post #21 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Shakey;8357486]That's one thing I wish I would have thought of when I pulled the engine out of my '88.

+1 on blankets and towels to protect the car.[/QUO

I'll take the advice about the blankets and hood latch to heart!
Thanks Kevin
post #22 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
...just put the lifting hook on the second pair of head studs...This balance point lifts the engine/trans at the right angle to come out.
Also, most engine lifts have five or six chain links that hang down to the lifting hook. Just by removing the bolt and inserting it through the second link, it shortened the excess chain by five inches; thus extending the 'reach' of the lift.

Paul Spruell uses a nylon ratchet strap from the back of the engine (valve cover web) to the lifting chain to control the angle of the engine. I've seen this recommended on his SpruellMotorsport.com website -unfortunately it may be gone now.

Mark
post #23 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
Also, most engine lifts have five or six chain links that hang down to the lifting hook. Just by removing the bolt and inserting it through the second link, it shortened the excess chain by five inches; thus extending the 'reach' of the lift.

Paul Spruell uses a nylon ratchet strap from the back of the engine (valve cover web) to the lifting chain to control the angle of the engine. I've seen this recommended on his SpruellMotorsport.com website -unfortunately it may be gone now.

Mark
I was wondering if that section of the valve covers could be used
post #24 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgberry
I was wondering if that section of the valve covers could be used
If Paul Spruell says it's OK, I wouldn't challenge him. Still, I don't view that cast aluminum web as structurally strong. I might use the cam cover web to tip the engine/trans a bit, but sure wouldn't expect it to support much of the load.

Honestly, the engine/trans tilt is a non-issue. Just put the lifting hook on the second pair of head studs and the engine/trans will come out at the right angle. Once it is almost out, when the oil pan is above the radiator, I usually manually lift the tail of the transmission so it will clear the front sheetmetal. That's all the tilt adjustment I ever need.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 01-03-2019 at 09:47 PM.
post #25 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

engine is out. thanks everyone for all your collective help. i think i used every single tip i received from all of you! i was able to do it myself without any scraping, wire pulling or metal bending
now for the investigation as to where the oil all over the outside of the engine is coming from. i think i may rent a heated pressure washer to clean that nasty engine bay!
regards
mark
Attached Images

post #26 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
If Paul Spruell says it's OK, I wouldn't challenge him. Still, I don't view that pot metal web as structurally strong. I might use the cam cover web to tip the engine/trans a bit, but sure wouldn't expect it to support much of the load.
Thankfully Alfa made it out of aluminum so it would be stronger.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #27 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
Thankfully Alfa made it out of aluminum so it would be stronger.
OK, my prior post has been edited.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #28 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 04:09 AM

Garage
well done getting it out!

To be honest, I’m not seeing much oil in that engine bay..... I’ve driven much worse.

Be interested to see the data plate in the RH firewall (near the fuse box).. never seen that on a Duetto?

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #29 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
well done getting it out!

To be honest, Iím not seeing much oil in that engine bay..... Iíve driven much worse.

Be interested to see the data plate in the RH firewall (near the fuse box).. never seen that on a Duetto?
Thanks! I was surprised how easy it was to lift out after having been such a pain to disconnect everything. Oh well, it'll come out that much easier the next time
That data plate you're referring to is all written in German. The car has euro spec turn signal/running lights, headlights and a KM/H speedo too; so I assume it was originally delivered in Germany.
Regards
Mark
post #30 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:08 AM

yes, that's a german "Typenschild" (or ID plate) put on every alfa sold in Germany.
So most likely your alfa would have been first delivered to Alfa Romeo Frankfurt.

It states: type, chassis number, permissable total weight, year of manufacture, front axle load limit and rear axle load limit (in that order)

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode