Duetto engine removal - Page 12 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Third, I received my new battery tray today also. Note the new one is not supplied wth the lower brace installed, though the photo on the supplierís website shows it. Just FYI in case anyone is planning on doing this job also.
Mark
Attached Images

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:05 PM

Garage
It was never fitted to the battery tray (as an OE replacement)

The bracket comes with and is fitted to inner chassis rail
... (ask me how I know)
Attached Images

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #168 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Hmm interesting. I’m pretty sure it was on the photo of the tray in the supplier’s catalog. I’ll look again. Thanks for the clarification. BTW, you had to change that frame rail? Yikes! That would be a project!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #169 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Yup, the catalog shows the bracket attached to the tray. No big deal, it just would have been easier to cut it loose from the tray rather than the frame.
Mark

Mark
post #170 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:20 PM

Garage
To be fair to my car, it only had minimal rust under the battery tray or throughout the body, the real issue was the raised rear floor behind the seats. It’s a double boxed construction and traps water.. rusts out taking the rear inner sills with it. It’s made of unobtainium and had to be reconstructed by “my guy”.. I chose him because he can make anything from sheet steel, frick’n artist

There was much older accident damage to the very front of the rail and radiator support which had been very, very poorly repaired (rivets, bondo, silastic).

In the end I decided to redo the body as it left Pininfarina, sans any patches or rusty untreated steel - it was taken completely apart on a jig and anything that had damage or rust was removed and replaced with OE metal or repro if OE unavailable (all sills and floors, etc.,) exactly as it had been originally fitted .. then media blasted, treated and sealed for life, everywhere.

Hilariously, those inner wheel arches were still bright shiny steel when we removed the rear clip.. never painted or protected, just hidden (except for their bottoms which were rusty as #uck)

We’re sitting and analysing where to add extra strength now.. gussets to the frame rails etc
I’m also mulling colour choices, which is hilarious given I’m colour blind

I should probably start my own thread (sorry)
Attached Images

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...

Last edited by Craig_m67; 06-07-2019 at 06:45 PM.
post #171 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:29 PM

Garage
Apologies for the hijack....
Attached Images

post #172 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:34 PM

Garage
.... this section is unique to the Duetto/Roundtail
Those kamn tail fellas don’t know how easy they have it

(and no, it will not be Farina red again.... AR Misano Blu Pearl, with a hint of violet if i can convince my painter)
Attached Images

Last edited by Craig_m67; 06-07-2019 at 06:42 PM.
post #173 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

No apology necessary. I love seeing how others replace/ restore sheet metal. I like your jig idea! I used a rotisserie for a Bugeye and thought there must be a better way. I would love to restore one of these....just not this one. My last restoration took nine years. I want to drive this car! Finding a round tail body to restore could prove challenging though. Maybe I could do a Kam tail; like a series two. Are there more of them around? it would be just as fun.
post #174 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM

Garage
Talking

I started with a home made rotisserie (could spin with one hand) but after being able to fully inspect and mull over it for a few years, I understood what really needed to be replaced and decided to change my philosophy from repair, to renew as per the factory (farina)

I gave the body and my huge collection of replacement panels to local metalworker (classic vehicles) and he built a precision jig with huge steel I-beams to keep everything in spec... he also loves everything Italian, so has the same motivation as me to save, improve her.

I have over nine years *restoring* this Duetto, most of that over analysing
Attached Images

Last edited by Craig_m67; 06-07-2019 at 07:16 PM.
post #175 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Yeah my nine years was spent mostly over analyzing also. I like your work though🙂.
post #176 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:08 AM

There are a few threads in here about reinforcing the Duetto body.

1. The steering box and idler arm mounting tend to tear our if you do much vigorous AX or TT driving. There are threads for cutting and installing doublers in the right places. Remember that there are aluminum "things" in the engine bay sides, hidden by the outer wheel wheel sides. Often restorers that use chem dip to strip the old paint discover that the aluminum spacers have been dissolved by the strippers baths.

2. Most all the racers seam-weld all the seams in the engine bay. The spot welds really aren't enough to handle the stresses.

3. Alfas after the Duetto went to a 4-bolt lower A-arm mount. The factory made a front cross-member replacement for the Duetto that was made of heavier sheet metal and had the four-bolt mounts. There actually is a factory note about how to replace the original thinner two-bolt cross member. It's in here too, from a few years ago. I don't know if just using one from a later spider would serve the same, or even fit. These later cars also had thicker sheet metal on most all of the front section panels.

4.The trunk lid has a tendency to crack where the hinges bolt to it. Caused by too much flexing of the lid when a tail wind is blowing. There is a thread on reinforcing this too. (I actually wrote that one).

5. A lot of Spider (including Duetto?) owners have used a chassis brace that connects the steering box bolts in front to the rear ofd the car. I guess it's square tubing adds to the torsional stiffness, which otherwise is carried by the door sills. But the door sills are a three-piece welding that is really stiff already. (I can jack my Duetto up by any three of the four jack points, and still open or close either door). Brace is said to reduce "cowel shake" but I never saw a problem, even with my AX and TT thrashing. Reduces ground clearance a bit.

Good Luck.

Robert
post #177 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Robert. I plan to keep driving mine like Grandma Moses so hopefully won't need to do any structural mods. That's good info about the Aluminum bits. I don't know if I would find myself wanting to chem dip during a restoration, but if I did I wouldn't have have known that fact.
Regards
Mark
post #178 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Ok iím Ready to install the head! I came up with a question for you fine people however: some head gasket posts here on the BB mention sealing the rear of the gasket in some cases. Something about early blocks and later gasket combinations. Anyway I have a block dating to 1966 and the gasket I purchased from Spruell. Itís made by Victor Reinz. Does anybody have any more info about this discussion?
Thanks!
Mark
Attached Images

Mark
post #179 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:41 PM

Garage
Has anybody (else) mentioned the roll-pin in the oil gallery trick, to ensure the correct location of the small o-rings and to reduce the oil flow.. it’s a good thing

Search is your friend here to understand why (I can’t remember)
Spruell even makes a special kit with “better” o-rings for this purpose

Block Oil Passage Restrictor Roll Pin Sets 1300, 1600, 1750, 2000 Street Engines - Spruell Your Store for Sports Car Performance and Racing Parts

I’m being vague on purpose, as I’ve not done a head myself for decades.

post #180 of 197 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Craig. I bought the roll pins from Jim G already. They’ll go in next. I’m just gathering all the info I may need before crushing the new gasket.
Regards
Mark

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode