LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 04:42 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Spider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
I think we should not do open hoses anymore. Chuck a catch can on and stop oil being leaked on our roads, causing motorcycle, etc. accidents!
Pete
What about the other option of just having the breather hose point up rather than down and sticking a little air filter on the end of it?
Yep
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
I like the oil pressure gauge in the corner, I assume thats a mechanical one to check what the real pressure is? I'm planning on doing the same, but to run the gauge inside the car to keep an eye on it whilst on the road.
Yes it's a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

I use to have it in the cab but took it out years ago, all the plumbing was there so I rehooked it up in the engine bay a couple of weeks ago.

After a while you stop looking at the gauges in a street car and with the stock low oil pressure warning light in front of you, it will tell you when to turn the engine off. The stock gauge while rather vague, back by a mechanical gauge in the engine bay to check, it works for me.

The mechanical oil gauge while not in the cabin will still let you know when you oil pressure is lower then normal at idle and with the throttle cable you can check the pressure at higher rpm's too.
Attached Images

Top Down likes this.

Darkside Member

Last edited by msiert; 12-24-2018 at 10:05 PM.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:38 PM

I agree. I crashed my Vincent Motorcycle years ago because of oil on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somer View Post
I agree. I crashed my Vincent Motorcycle years ago because of oil on the road.
Noted.

I’m not a biker, but believe strongly that everyone who uses the road has a responsibility to keep our two wheeled brethren alive. Catch can it is.

1976 Spider
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiert View Post
Yes it's a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

I use to have it in the cab but took it out years ago, all the plumbing was there so I rehooked it up in the engine bay a couple of weeks ago.

After a while you stop looking at the gauges in a street car and with the stock low oil pressure warning light in front of you, it will tell you when to turn the engine off. The stock gauge while rather vague, back by a mechanical gauge in the engine bay to check, it works for me.

The mechanical oil gauge while not in the cabin will still let you know when you oil pressure is lower then normal at idle and with the throttle cable you can check the pressure at higher rpm's too.
Where did you get the 'T' Piece from to split the senders?

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a Abarth 595 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
Where did you get the 'T' Piece from to split the senders?
Speedway Motors or Jegs, not sure but either one would carrier the fittings and ss hose.

Darkside Member
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

Lovely Machinery!

Sometimes I suspect there are a few members lurking on the BB who are just looking for opportunities to show off their awesome engines!

As well, I hasten to add, to contribute knowledge and wisdom to the discussion.

To take this discussion a little off topic, I wonder how many members are aware of issues with Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) which, because the port injector is no longer present to continually wash down the the intake tract and and back of the intake valve with that fine, high-detergent, Tier 1 fuel we all use, can result in really messy situation. And no, fuel additives are not any help, since the gas in GDI never enters the intake plumbing.

Ford Ecoboost engines were among the most troubled, with misfires and poor fuel economy presenting in as few as 10k.

Of course, we need not be concerned about hot, turbo-boosted air or Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) in our 2.0L, but I'd still be concerned about putting valve cover blow by, along with acidic products of combustion back into the intake manifold and crankcase.

Hey, wait a minute!

That's exactly what our oil vapor collector (OVC) does, until it gets so clogged it begins to pop the dipstick. That's how I discovered mine was blocked. Now of course, it returns fumes to the intake and recovered oil back to the crankcase.

Guess it's no big deal.

Back to GDI, I did some research on the new Nissan engines, and they include a port injector on each cylinder to provide cleaning, while the DI works to improve performance and economy (as well as, unfortunately, particulates.).

Also drove a GDI Hyundai Limited recently and while the salesman was stumped about how they mitigate intake fouling (no port injector) a knowledgeable service rep said they recommend a $180, chemical intake cleaning every 15,000 miles. How many owners are going to let that problem fester till it becomes more than a nuisance, only to discover their baked on crud won't respond to chemicals and needs mechanical cleaning (walnut shells?) often requiring pulling the heads (!) like I've heard some BMWs need. (Hmmm, think I may need a question mark here )

Oh well, no free lunch...

Now I'm gonna go back and look at those beautiful engines!

Happy New Year all!

Steve Waclo Carson City, NV; '87 Spider QV, ES Champion, 2018 Reno SCCA (125k);'93 Honda Nighthawk 750 (105k);'03 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Turbo Diesel (155k);'08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE, 6sp (125k)
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:15 PM

Though maybe not as bad as DFI but our little twin cam is pretty notorious for carboning up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
Sometimes I suspect there are a few members lurking on the BB who are just looking for opportunities to show off their awesome engines!

To take this discussion a little off topic, I wonder how many members are aware of issues with Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) which, because the port injector is no longer present to continually wash down the the intake tract and and back of the intake valve with that fine, high-detergent, Tier 1 fuel we all use, can result in really messy situation. And no, fuel additives are not any help, since the gas in GDI never enters the intake plumbing.

Ford Ecoboost engines were among the most troubled, with misfires and poor fuel economy presenting in as few as 10k.

Of course, we need not be concerned about hot, turbo-boosted air or Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) in our 2.0L, but I'd still be concerned about putting valve cover blow by, along with acidic products of combustion back into the intake manifold and crankcase.

Hey, wait a minute!

That's exactly what our oil vapor collector (OVC) does, until it gets so clogged it begins to pop the dipstick. That's how I discovered mine was blocked. Now of course, it returns fumes to the intake and recovered oil back to the crankcase.

Guess it's no big deal.

Back to GDI, I did some research on the new Nissan engines, and they include a port injector on each cylinder to provide cleaning, while the DI works to improve performance and economy (as well as, unfortunately, particulates.).

Also drove a GDI Hyundai Limited recently and while the salesman was stumped about how they mitigate intake fouling (no port injector) a knowledgeable service rep said they recommend a $180, chemical intake cleaning every 15,000 miles. How many owners are going to let that problem fester till it becomes more than a nuisance, only to discover their baked on crud won't respond to chemicals and needs mechanical cleaning (walnut shells?) often requiring pulling the heads (!) like I've heard some BMWs need. (Hmmm, think I may need a question mark here )

Oh well, no free lunch...

Now I'm gonna go back and look at those beautiful engines!

Happy New Year all!

Darkside Member
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevew View Post

To take this discussion a little off topic, I wonder how many members are aware of issues with Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI)
Yup. When I bought my ‘08 Audi S6 (first gen direct injection) I factored a $1500 intake cleaning into the price. They blast the back side of the intake valves with walnut shells. The before and after pics are amazing. It was gross.

As you point out, port injectors are coming back to address the problem. I wouldn’t buy another car with the 1st generation tech. This particular car was bought in a moment of weakness. It fit my budget, was my favorite color, had white leather (!) and a freakin’ V10. It’s for sale if you’re interested

1976 Spider
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiert View Post
Speedway Motors or Jegs, not sure but either one would carrier the fittings and ss hose.
Got it! Demon-Tweeks in the UK, the packaging does have the profanity VW-Audi on it, sorry about that.
Attached Images

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a Abarth 595 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Spider View Post
What about the other option of just having the breather hose point up rather than down and sticking a little air filter on the end of it?
It would soon be drooling oil from up there...

Catch cans are not that expensive (or at least, they can be had for reasonable prices), and just as easy. I drain my catch-can back to the oil sump

50 years from now - how are we going to restore a "classic" microprocessor based modern car?? Alfas - 1980 Spider, 1987 Milano, 1976 Spider
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:51 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1976spider View Post
Catch cans are not that expensive (or at least, they can be had for reasonable prices) ...
I used to use an old plastic oil/brake fluid/etc. container with a few breather holes drilled in the top ...

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:15 PM

Garage
Simple...
Attached Images

PSk likes this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode