Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Spider - 105 & 115 Series (1966-1994) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/)
-   -   Enough Already or am I to old for this nonsense.. (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/671750-enough-already-am-i-old-nonsense.html)

Tom Frasca 11-26-2018 12:40 PM

Spider Restoration.... or am I to old for this nonsense..
 
2 Attachment(s)
Got this for $2000, 1979 24K DOCUMENTED MILES- NO JOKE...runs like a deer.
So far
soft top
front floor pans
front/rear fender wings
spare wheel well
inner/ middle/outer rockers
R/L a pillars
all 4 jack points(what the hell)
rear valence
carpet set(since I am tearing out the floors anyway)

Options I have in stock
light covers\Euro bumpers

I am staying with the silver...mechanicals are surprisingly good in every respect, once I changed out all 4 corners of the brake calipers which were frozen solid!!

Self-doubt creeping in.... (it should be nice when it is done????)

alfaloco 11-26-2018 09:04 PM

Tom! I say jump in with both feet! I would and I'm 69 years old. Great looking old/young Spider! Congrats... a great find.

Tom Frasca 11-27-2018 06:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaloco (Post 8343776)
Tom! I say jump in with both feet! I would and I'm 69 years old. Great looking old/young Spider! Congrats... a great find.

November surprise, all 3 of 4 corners were in great shape when the outer sills removed...now keeping the chassis square..is always fun...replacing all 3 sills both sides ....seam welding..

Tom Frasca 12-01-2018 04:52 AM

RUST !!!Enough Already or am I to old for this nonsense..
 
4 Attachment(s)
Some more pics need to replace the inner section, on one side do
to chronic mice nesting and subsequent moisture,,

Tom Frasca 12-01-2018 05:05 AM

@ alfloco ... I jumped in..

divotandtralee 12-01-2018 05:11 AM

Tough sledding there.. Most of us would rather not know what is going on down below the belt line unless there are clear issues externally like layers of bondo but even solid sheet metal on the outside can mask what is going on inside... We would be scared to death to find out. Seems like this would have showed up with a peek at the underside rockers and boxes? Hard to believe a 24000 mile car would have lived most of those miles in salt brine.

Tom Frasca 12-01-2018 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by divotandtralee (Post 8345364)
Tough sledding there.. Most of us would rather not know what is going on down below the belt line unless there are clear issues externally like layers of bondo but even solid sheet metal on the outside can mask what is going on inside... We would be scared to death to find out. Seems like this would have showed up with a peek at the underside rockers and boxes? Hard to believe a 24000 mile car would have lived most of those miles in salt brine.

Really, I thought so to, but.....the rats/mice nested on the one side, so all aft and front-end solid, as are suspension components, rear pickups..trunk tyre well was affected as it stunk of mice urine and out go the carpets. But it runs well, in fact with the exception of some cowle shake it wasn't bad. so once apart a nice seam weld and I know what is under the paint (I guess)..:surprise::surprise:

Tom Frasca 12-01-2018 05:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
REAR... pretty much wire wheel and zinc chromate..

divotandtralee 12-01-2018 05:48 AM

I'd be tempted to part it out..but that leads to a whole other can of worms unless you want to take on the shipping and packaging..These cars don't have a big return ahead of them in value.

Tom Frasca 12-01-2018 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by divotandtralee (Post 8345376)
I'd be tempted to part it out..but that leads to a whole other can of worms unless you want to take on the shipping and packaging..These cars don't have a big return ahead of them in value.

Last of the spica cars I figure I am all in for a lot less than a low mileage, car and it is my time so we will see...

spiderserie4 12-01-2018 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Frasca (Post 8345374)
REAR... pretty much wire wheel and zinc chromate..

well, that looks really solid!

best photo I've seen of those blasted soft top tubes, draining right into the rockers...!

note to self: keep the drain slots free:)

Tom Frasca 12-01-2018 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderserie4 (Post 8345382)
well, that looks really solid!

best photo I've seen of those blasted soft top tubes, draining right into the rockers...!

note to self: keep the drain slots free:)

That seems to be the case with the exception of the area on the left side.. ditto on the drain tubes..

Tom Frasca 12-01-2018 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Endgame Hopefully

divotandtralee 12-01-2018 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderserie4 (Post 8345382)
well, that looks really solid!

best photo I've seen of those blasted soft top tubes, draining right into the rockers...!

note to self: keep the drain slots free:)

yes.. the engineer who came up with that should have been hanged.

gprocket 12-01-2018 04:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by divotandtralee (Post 8345376)
I'd be tempted to part it out..but that leads to a whole other can of worms unless you want to take on the shipping and packaging..These cars don't have a big return ahead of them in value.


Nooooo!!!! These are great cars IMHO. Detuned motor and fed bumpers aside, these spiders steadily improved And since they aren't "classics" so to speak, there's no guilt in modifying them. Motors are easy to hop up, replace the bumpers with stainless, upgrade the wheels & tires, go nuts on the interior...

This:
Attachment 1538088


to this:
Attachment 1538090


and this:
Attachment 1538092



.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002-2011 AlfaBB.com All Rights Reserved.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome