Enough Already or am I to old for this nonsense.. - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:50 AM

Garage
Lovely project, and moving right along..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
Define- Superleggera ... removing the U.S. spec bumpers, that ***** must weigh 70 pounds, anyway off, replacing rear valance welding up the grotesque side markers and license plate lamps.
Will you take off those bumper pistons too? They weigh too much, but if you need -> fabricate lighter bumper brackets.
- Art
Tom Frasca likes this.

2007 Aston DB9, 1994 Alfa 164 LS, 1982 Alfa GTV6 Balocco SE, 1975 Maserati Bora, 1967 Plymouth Satellite convertible, 1965 Plymouth Satellite hardtop

Last edited by 76Satisfaction; 03-22-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:32 AM
Quote:
@gprocket trying to minimize filler.... Attaching the skin do I fill in the round dimple in the rear? fitting the euro bumpers
Sorry, I just saw the question. Umm, I don't but it's really up to you. Since you are fabbing the passenger side and it doesn't (yet) have a dimple I suppose it makes sense to fill the driver's side for symmetry.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
Sorry, I just saw the question. Umm, I don't but it's really up to you. Since you are fabbing the passenger side and it doesn't (yet) have a dimple I suppose it makes sense to fill the driver's side for symmetry.
Hello Rich!,
Yeah I realized that when I pulled the wings out of the pile of parts..., boxing in the old mounts welded and seam filled, don't need any more nesting areas !!!
Attached Images

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Romagnoli View Post
Tom:

This is a Euro console, also available from Vick's.

I will replace my '79 center console with its chaotic multiplicity of vertical and horizontal switches and warning lights with this much cleaner version.

The only console-mounted idiot light that I will retain is the handbrake warning light, which will be a red "jewel" light like the four in the dash panel holding the three center dash gauges. I will probably mount it on a blank in the center rocker switch position, since I only need a vent. fan rocker switch and a hazard rocker switch (my wiper switch is on a steering column stalk).

Mario
Speaking of consoles, I'm not a fan of the S2 clutter. Here are a couple of examples of simplified consoles (both in rough prototype stage):

This is wrinkle finish on a metal substrate. Toggles from a '69 GTV.

Name:  blackconsole.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  176.4 KB

And this is wood veneer on metal substrate. The "chrome" edging around the wood is from the '69 GTV era. This one has power windows so I stayed with rocker switches...

Name:  woodconsole.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  167.8 KB

Obviously a matter of personal choice and surprisingly more work than I expected but I like the results. I do need to think of something to do with the blank space where the radio would go. I'd put the Alfa Romeo blanking plate but that's a lot of money for a little piece of plastic... Maybe the trunk script?
Tom Frasca likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gprocket; 03-07-2019 at 08:50 AM.
post #65 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:43 AM

I found this on ebay that I'm using instead of a stock blanking plate, a little small but I think will work...
Attached Images

gprocket and Tom Frasca like this.
post #66 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Speaking of consoles, I'm not a fan of the S2 clutter. Here are a couple of examples of simplified consoles (both in rough prototype stage):

This is wrinkle finish on a metal substrate. Toggles from a '69 GTV.

Attachment 1554684

And this is wood veneer on metal substrate. The "chrome" edging around the wood is from the '69 GTV era. This one has power windows so I stayed with rocker switches...

Attachment 1554686

Obviously a matter of personal choice and surprisingly more work than I expected but I like the results. I do need to think of something to do with the blank space where the radio would go. I'd put the Alfa Romeo blanking plate but that's a lot of money for a little piece of plastic... Maybe the trunk script?
Well Rich to tell you the truth, you are partly to blame for my current situation, I foolishly showed my wife the photo of the silver alfa you posted.....game over!!! Please feel free to chime in on anything you think I should do. This is my first late model resto, in fact it is the first(we build race cars) Burgandy interior, redoing the floor pans so the carpet (will now be charcoal gray) and minimal sound deading being installed.
gprocket likes this.

Tom
post #67 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I need some OEM Euro front- marker lights...

Tom
post #68 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Well Rich to tell you the truth, you are partly to blame for my current situation, I foolishly showed my wife the photo of the silver alfa you posted.....game over!!! Please feel free to chime in on anything you think I should do. This is my first late model resto, in fact it is the first(we build race cars) Burgandy interior, redoing the floor pans so the carpet (will now be charcoal gray) and minimal sound deading being installed.
My wife figured this out long ago:

Duck tail S3 = new couch
Kamm Tail S2 = new family room furniture
Duetto S1 = new kitchen
GTA-R = new house, possibly new husband...
TimFlaco and sbadaro like this.

post #69 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:45 PM

OMG.....just had new kitchen installed....I can go shopping....yay!
I've had this all arse-about.
post #70 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:20 PM

Be careful.
Car stuff to home stuff is a percentage...and the ratio doesn't go in favor of the car stuff.
Figure a currency exchange rate.
post #71 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
My wife figured this out long ago:

Duck tail S3 = new couch
Kamm Tail S2 = new family room furniture
Duetto S1 = new kitchen
GTA-R = new house, possibly new husband...
Err yah got it backward, I was streeting a 2 liter spyder, when she saw the Euro ...it was game over that's what she wants... married 42 years to a true Alfista(my father always told me to find a girl willing to go under the car with you) BTW that is her GT Sprint in back of my friends GTO
Attached Images

JCDK, TimFlaco and Karter7 like this.

Tom

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 03-07-2019 at 07:03 PM.
post #72 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The gift that keeps on giving, rather than take 5 minutes to bang out the panel the PO body shop bondo repaired the dent, can be straightened pretty easily than on to welding up the license plate lamp mount holes..
Attached Images

Tom
post #73 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:45 PM

Garage
Hey Tom,

Maybe try running a paint meter over the entire car to make sure there are no other surprises. I've seen some pretty good body filler work that's super hard to detect. Having a repainted car doesn't help either.

By the way, excellent work you're doing. Should be a really nice car when you're done.

One final recommendation - keep the smog parts in a box, just in case someone needs them in the future.

Keep up the good work!

Greg
post #74 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Back at it Thursday, all the metal remaining including the nose and boot in great shape...when we are done the only layer over the metal will be a sanding primer ...hopefully it will be enjoyed beyond my stewardship. is not that the point of what we all are doing? BTW...we keep all Alfa parts..
Alfaboutvegas likes this.

Tom

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 03-21-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #75 of 132 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:54 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
"we keep all Alfa parts"

I don't know how they accumulated so quickly but I had to build a shed for my parts!

are they perchance related to rabbits?
Keep up the good work Tom.
Greg
Tom Frasca likes this.

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg

Last edited by Alfaboutvegas; 03-20-2019 at 04:56 PM. Reason: additional text

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode