Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Spider - 105 & 115 Series (1966-1994) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/)
-   -   I changed all exterior bulbs to LED (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/671694-i-changed-all-exterior-bulbs-led.html)

Dbaliko 11-25-2018 05:40 AM

I changed all exterior bulbs to LED

I recently changed all of my exterior bulbs to LED. My main goal was to make the car more conspicuous day and night. Especially the brake and signal lights. Here are the bulbs that I chose. Everything works and there are no faults. And the signal lights work normally with no fast flashing. All the lights are MUCH, MUCH, brighter now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ontent=general

Doug

390377 11-25-2018 07:40 AM

I just started this project. I was planning on replacing the flashers with LED compliant ones, but this may be a better solution. I ordered BA9 bulbs for the instrument panel. The tach has Ba9, but the Speedo seems to have 194. Does this sound right?Also the tach sockets are metal and ground on the tach, but the Speedo sockets are plastic and it looks like I'll need to run ground wires. Does that sound right? The car seems to have a wide sampling of interior components, and I'm not sure what is stock.
I put red 1157 in the stop/brake bulbs, and plan on amber 1156 for the turn signals and white 1156 for the reverse lights.

Alfajay 11-25-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 390377 (Post 8343172)
but the Speedo sockets are plastic and it looks like I'll need to run ground wires.

I wouldn't think that would be the case, no. There must be some metal tabs in those sockets that make contact with the ground side of the bulb. Without that, neither incandescent nor LED bulbs would work.

Dbaliko 11-25-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 390377 (Post 8343172)
I just started this project. I was planning on replacing the flashers with LED compliant ones, but this may be a better solution. I ordered BA9 bulbs for the instrument panel. The tach has Ba9, but the Speedo seems to have 194. Does this sound right?Also the tach sockets are metal and ground on the tach, but the Speedo sockets are plastic and it looks like I'll need to run ground wires. Does that sound right? The car seems to have a wide sampling of interior components, and I'm not sure what is stock.
I put red 1157 in the stop/brake bulbs, and plan on amber 1156 for the turn signals and white 1156 for the reverse lights.

I did not do my dash, so I’m no help to you there. Although, I’m sure that you will not need to run ground wires. My car has a separate brake light from the rear tail light, so my brake light bulbs, turn signal bulbs, and the back up bulbs are all 1156. The rear tail light, as well as the clear front marker lights are 5007 on my car.

Doug

390377 11-26-2018 06:09 AM

I agree, I wouldn't think it would be that way, but it is. And the incandescent lights weren't working. That's partly why I started changing to LEDs. I am able to get both the incandescent and the LED to light up if I ground the connector, which is why I asked. The easy way out is to run a ground to the connector, or to replace the connector with something like what is in the tach. The car seems to have a mixture of interior parts from different years, so I'm not sure what is what. None of the interior light are working, but for different reasons, some blown bulbs, some bad grounds, some bad power lines. I was thinking of adding Carello head lamp covers; the left side has the cut outs for the covers but the right side does not! Not sure if it is a later r/s fender replacement or the holes were bondoed over, haven't had a chance to check. All part of the fun!
lou

Alfajay 11-26-2018 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 390377 (Post 8343438)
And the incandescent lights weren't working.
The car seems to have a mixture of interior parts from different years

Ah, additional information. Well then, maybe you do need to run a ground wire to the sockets that aren't working.

390377 11-26-2018 07:53 AM

Found some metal BA9 sockets for about a dollar each, so I'm just going to swap them out. It's hard to know what is original and what isn't. The center consol seems to be from an earlier car, but no way for me to know if the tach and Speedo are original or not. Still and all, the wiring would be harder to swap out.
Thanks for all the help!
lou

930cabman 11-26-2018 04:52 PM

Too much $$

LED lighting overall is great, lower energy consumption, longer life, ..... But for $54.00 for two tail light bulbs I will pass.

Dbaliko 11-26-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 930cabman (Post 8343700)
LED lighting overall is great, lower energy consumption, longer life, ..... But for $54.00 for two tail light bulbs I will pass.

Those are the the turn signal bulbs with built in resistors so you don’t get the fast flashing that you would get with standard LED bulbs. But yes, they are still expensive.

Doug

Alfajay 11-26-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbaliko (Post 8343712)
Those are the the turn signal bulbs with built in resistors so you don’t get the fast flashing that you would get with standard LED bulbs. But yes, they are still expensive.

Superbright LED will sell you a high wattage resistor + two connectors for $4.95. You'll need to put one in parallel with each LED turn signal bulb, or ~ $20 for the complete car. Now $4.95 is probably a 10X markup on what the parts cost Superbright. But $20 is still less than $54.

https://d114hh0cykhyb0.cloudfront.ne...jpg&w=390&zc=2

Alternatively, Superbright (and many others) will sell you a solid-state flasher, that is insensitive to current (e.g., flashes at the same rate with low-current LED bulbs as with old-fashioned incandescents). These cost ~ $13 and one is all you need.

https://d114hh0cykhyb0.cloudfront.ne...jpg&w=390&zc=2

My point isn't to pick on Dbaliko's choice of LED bulbs with built-in resistors (they are quick and easy to install); just to show that there are lower cost alternatives if you're willing to do a little tinkering.

sloboy89 11-26-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbaliko (Post 8343712)

Doug

It's definitely cleaner with the LEDs having the internal resistors, but if you want a lower-cost option, you can always use normal LEDs and wire in external resistors like these. (Jay beat me to the response).

Igoforpogo 11-30-2018 04:38 AM

I was thinking about this on the way into work today. I took a day off to work around the house and run errands yesterday. Running errands means driving the Alfa around town. I always drive headlights on. On three separate occasions someone pulled out in front of me or cut me off. I checked - all lights work. Maybe brighter lights would help. Great post. (Great choice of car Doug!)

Dbaliko 11-30-2018 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Igoforpogo (Post 8345022)
I was thinking about this on the way into work today. I took a day off to work around the house and run errands yesterday. Running errands means driving the Alfa around town. I always drive headlights on. On three separate occasions someone pulled out in front of me or cut me off. I checked - all lights work. Maybe brighter lights would help. Great post. (Great choice of car Doug!)

Driving the Alfa is sometimes a bit harrowing. I also ride a BMW motorcycle. Both vehicles are sometimes invisible to those in large vehicles not paying attention. Plus, my Alfa is black, which is the least conspicuous color. I drive my Alfa with the parking lights on during the day. The LED bulbs make all the lights MUCH brighter, making the car more conspicuous.

My daily driver is a GMC Sierra 1500. The Alfa is a toy car compared to that.

Doug

60sRacer 11-30-2018 01:35 PM

We're still being gouged on these bulb prices, especially the $54 ones. I guess I'll wait for realistic prices...

Robert

Dbaliko 11-30-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60sRacer (Post 8345176)
We're still being gouged on these bulb prices, especially the $54 ones. I guess I'll wait for realistic prices...

Robert

You can always go the route of wiring in resistors.