I changed all exterior bulbs to LED - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:04 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Folks, resistors are not necessary for these LEDs to work on our vintage Alfas. These LEDs do not pull enough current to sufficiently heat the spring element in a thermal flasher. This resistor "fix" is meant for newer cars that experience hyper-flashing.

All you need do is swap the flasher unit for a modern one. This is less time consuming and cheaper. I bought the one in the picture below from Amazon for $10. It has a small adjustment screw (grey colored) which can be turned to control the rate of flashing. The only issue I have with this flasher is that it is silent. You can find a similar product that will emit a clicking sound much like a conventional thermal flasher.

Using the LEDs without resistors will reduce the amperage consumption and the wire harness will appreciate the break.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:05 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbaliko View Post
Driving the Alfa is sometimes a bit harrowing. I also ride a BMW motorcycle. Both vehicles are sometimes invisible to those in large vehicles not paying attention. Plus, my Alfa is black, which is the least conspicuous color. I drive my Alfa with the parking lights on during the day. The LED bulbs make all the lights MUCH brighter, making the car more conspicuous.

My daily driver is a GMC Sierra 1500. The Alfa is a toy car compared to that.

Doug
Great thread. Same here (BMW street bike, K1500 daily driver, Alfa GTV "toy"). I solved the "be seen" on the bike with three sets of LED lights (2x6000 lumens, 4x4000lumens). I've been told it looks like a "cop bike" or a train.

I've been looking for a way to convert the lights on the Alfa to LEDs, so this great! Thanks. Still don't think this solves the problem of getting rear ended by someone texting....

Mike
1969 GTV 1750
1966 Super
San Diego, CA

post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa69GTV1750 View Post
......Still don't think this solves the problem of getting rear ended by someone texting....
!!!! I've had this happen 3 times in my Duetto. Rear trunk lids are getting hard to find! The first one was only three days after I bought her new in 1967! Also got rear-ended in my BIG MBZ 560 C! Both of these were a driver adjusting his radio......

One other was by a uninsured and undocumented (illegal) hispanic driver in his employer's Tahoe SUV. He just resented my driving at the speed limit on a residential road. Of course he didn't stop, but I got the plate number and he got a jail assignment. Owner paid for the damage, including shipping a trunk lid from South Africa!

It's obvious why the Kamm-Tail was used on later Alfa Spiders.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa69GTV1750 View Post
Great thread. Same here (BMW street bike, K1500 daily driver, Alfa GTV "toy"). I solved the "be seen" on the bike with three sets of LED lights (2x6000 lumens, 4x4000lumens). I've been told it looks like a "cop bike" or a train.

I've been looking for a way to convert the lights on the Alfa to LEDs, so this great! Thanks. Still don't think this solves the problem of getting rear ended by someone texting....
My BMW has a lot of after market lighting. Led tail lights that are Whelen emergency LED lights and large Led lights on the same mounts that they use on police bikes in front.
Attached Images

Doug - 1989 Spider Quadrifoglio S3 (Black)
Member of the Italian Car Club of North Texas & AROC
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:59 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It's obvious why the Kamm-Tail was used on later Alfa Spiders.

Robert[/QUOTE]

Funny!

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:27 PM

Garage
Spider S4 flasher unit recommendation

Hi -- just came across this thread as I was looking into replacing the rear bulbs with LEDs for safety reasons and I think the most direct path for the signals would be an electronic flasher unit. The S4 has a 4 prong flasher, and most of the units mentioned here are two prong. I'm assuming I need the correct 4 prong, but I was going to check the wiring this weekend.

In the interim, I'm wondering if someone has a recommendation for a flasher unit for a 91-94 spider?

I have replaced the side markers and parking lights with the appropriate colored LEDs and it's much brighter. Also, all the torpedo lights for the interior/trunk/engine with warm white LEDs -- much brighter and run cooler.

Thank you,
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:03 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Optimally the LED color needs to match the lens color. Superbrightleds has some tech articles on this. Reasons as stated earlier here but applies to amber, green, blue, etc. as well.
ossodiseppia and Dbaliko like this.
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 03:59 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
A couple of other related LED threads. LINK1 LINK2 LINK3

The latter one I authored on festoon bulbs.

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
)(
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugu View Post
In the interim, I'm wondering if someone has a recommendation for a flasher unit for a 91-94 spider?
Have you had any luck finding a flasher unit for your Spider? I have an 88 with the 4 prong flasher as well.

Adam -- 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:45 PM

Garage
Sadly .... no. Which is a little weird, as looking into availability I found that model of flasher relay was used in quite a few vehicles back in the 80s (Lancia, Fiat, Peugeot), but I guess no one sees enough demand for a solid-state version.

There was an automotive electronics company in GB that advertised a 'fully electronic' relay in that format and originally said that LEDs would function fine with it -- but prior to shipment they changed their mind and said it wouldn't be suitable (electronic meant it was the same ol' heat up the coil and open/close the switch type signal unit).
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:15 AM

Garage
I guess if I move forward I'll use the resistor method. Would have been nice to just use a relay.

Thanks for the update!

Adam -- 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Check:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...oad-resistors/ for resistors, 2,3 and 4 prong flasher relays
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:29 PM

Garage
Superbright had been my first stop awhile ago -- but they only carry 2,3 and 5 pin/prong relays.
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:43 AM

and would something like a "Novita EP26" Led flasher unit work? (land rover use them)
has 4 pins.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...r/ep26/4542958

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:54 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
See attached for a Centerline tip on using 3 prong units for 4 prong units.

Lou
Attached Images
File Type: pdf flashers.pdf (147.3 KB, 44 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode