I changed all exterior bulbs to LED - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 03:06 AM

But even the smaller ones are $5-$20. And at its age (51 years) I mostly drive in the daytime.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 12:10 PM

Hi 390377
See your are a fellow New Jerseyian. I changed to LED'S in my 62 Guilietta but my front directionals don't seem to draw enough current thru the flasher to function. I have since purchased a Electronic relay which should do the trick. I would suggest you watch a great Moss Motors U Tube video on just this subject. My Alfa did not require resistors but newer Afla's might need them. The video will explain why. Its really informative. I also bought cheap BA9's but there not much brighter and I don't have a grounding as my holder are metal. Maybe I will try some super brights.

Are you a member of the AROC of NJ? I live in Oak Ridge.

Meatbird29
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

MB29,

Yes, Atlantic Highlands, and Yes re: AROC NJ. I haven't done the turn signals yet, because of the flasher issue. Superbright LEDs sells "electronic" led flashers for about $10 or so, I was planning on going that way. None of the interior lights were working, mostly burned out bulbs (37years!) until I came across the plastic bulb holders, which confused me. I got a bunch of metal B A 9 holders for a few dollars, so I'm taking the easy way out. The center console doesn't look like the drawings in the owners manual, and its been converted to Webers, so I am not worried about being original.
I wanted the tail/brake lights to be a bit more obvious when driving around , so the original idea was just the stop/tail 1157, and the side markers which are 194. I am working on a center brake light that won't require drilling holes in the body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Gold Subscriber

I just bought these from Amazon - on my 81 Spider the brake lights don't get brighter when the headlights are on when I step on the brake...

'81 Spider (Weber's, Euro Bumpers, Custom Interior) Ivorio over Red | '54 Austin Healey 100-4, Bone Stock save for M cam, Carmine over Black.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar44 View Post
I just bought these from Amazon - on my 81 Spider the brake lights don't get brighter when the headlights are on when I step on the brake...
My brake lights are 1156 bulbs. They only come on when I step on the brake. Otherwise they are off. I assume that your car uses 1157 bulbs which are dual tail light and brake light?

Doug - 1989 Spider Quadrifoglio S3 (Black)
Member of the Italian Car Club of North Texas & AROC
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 02:27 AM
Gold Subscriber

at least on my car, the stop/tail lights are 1157 bulbs.The outermost are single filament 1156, turn signal, the stop/tail 1157 dual filament in the center, and reverse lights are the inner 1156 single filament.
The 1157 has offset "indexed" locating pins, 1156 has pins directly across from each other.

You would either need two bulbs or a two filament bulb for the stop/tail function, as they are separate circuits. There is an unused spot between the stop/tail and reverse lights. You can see the unused in the photo, the reverse lens is still on. The other photo is Turn sig, stop/tail. the turn sig has not been switched to LED. Hope this helps
Attached Images

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I put red 1157 in the stop/brake bulbs, and plan on amber 1156 for the turn signals and white 1156 for the reverse lights.
If your lenses are colored, isn't it better to use white lights? I don't think a red LED shining through a red plastic lens is better than a white LED shining through a red lens.

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iachella View Post
If your lenses are colored, isn't it better to use white lights? I don't think a red LED shining through a red plastic lens is better than a white LED shining through a red lens.
Because LED bulbs are so much brighter than incandescent bulbs the tend to wash out the color. Red lenses tend to look pink. Etc. so it’s recommended to use the same color LED as the lens. That way you get a super bright light in the correct color.

Doug
alfabeach likes this.

Doug - 1989 Spider Quadrifoglio S3 (Black)
Member of the Italian Car Club of North Texas & AROC
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:34 PM

Wow. That is so counter-intuitive to me. But if that is what has been found, OK.

I just put in some white 1157 LEDs in my Alfetta tail lights and I have some white 1156s on order. They do seem brighter so I won't change them now. If they burn out, I'll give the red a try.

Thanks,

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:42 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iachella View Post
Wow. That is so counter-intuitive to me.
Think of it this way: a red lens is a filter that blocks everything color but red. So put a red light source behind it, and pretty much all the output from that source will come through the lens. A white light contains all the colors in the spectrum (though not necessarily in equal proportions). Put that behind a red lens, and the red part of its output will come through, while the yellows, greens, blues, violets get blocked.

Quote:
I just put in some white 1157 LEDs in my Alfetta tail lights ...... If they burn out, I'll give the red a try.
LED's last pretty much forever; I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to burn out. But sure, the white ones will probably work fine.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-10-2019 at 05:45 PM.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 05:55 AM
Gold Subscriber

I finally got the instrument lights sorted, and they are all LED now, but a mix of warm white and bright white. I tried using red or amber as somebody suggested, it wasn't bright enough for me. I put a few in the warning lights, and they are almost too bright.
On another slightly different topic, with the Led in the stop/tail lights I started getting some static in the radio with the tail lights on and when I stepped on the brakes. I picked up some "chokes" to put on the stop and tail wires but haven't installed them due to extreme cold. My antenna is on the left rear fender, quite close top the wiring harness for the rear lights, so that may be a factor. For now, if there is a song on the radio I like, I just don't slow down.
Radar Love
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
a red lens is a filter that blocks everything color but red
So whichever white bulb had more red in it, the brighter it will be? If a white LED is a lot brighter in white than and incandescent, it would only be marginally brighter in its red spectrum because it's brightness is also distributed in the other colors too.

If a red LED is using all its intensity with red, it would be better. A white LED would only have a slice of it's intensity in the red spectrum, so not as much gets through. The LED has a finite intensity and a white will be wasting all that intensity on the other colors. This makes sense, if true.

Thanks,

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:02 PM

A quick test to see if it is the wiring that is giving you the problem: Wrap a long section of the wiring in aluminum foil. This is a Faraday shield, and will block any signal coming from the wires.

Robert
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:41 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390377 View Post
with the Led in the stop/tail lights I started getting some static in the radio with the tail lights on and when I stepped on the brakes. I picked up some "chokes" to put on the stop and tail wires but haven't installed them due to extreme cold. My antenna is on the left rear fender, quite close top the wiring harness for the rear lights, so that may be a factor.
Hmm - I've never heard of LED lights giving of RF noise, but I'm not denying that it's happening. Anyone have any insights as to where there is AC in an LED circuit? My cars with owner-installed LED tail lights don't have radios, so I'm probably oblivious to this issue.

By "chokes" I assume you mean some sort of an inline inductor, which I guess that would damp RF. Are these sold specifically for LED automotive applications? A capacitor to ground would damp RF too, like the old noise suppression capacitors that used to be mounted to generators.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-11-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:20 AM
Gold Subscriber

In the marine world, LED are known to give off RFI, especially anchor light bulbs at the top of the mast, which is usually where the VHF antenna is mounted. When I realized the static was occurring when I stepped on the brakes, I did "extensive research" on Google and Amazon and bought the following:
"Kathson Pack of 15 Magnetic Ferrite Core Cord RFI EMI Noise Suppressor Cable Clip" for $10.99. I cannot give a more technical explanation, but in terms of ALFA bucks, it seemed like an inexpensive gamble.
The tail lights assemblies are about 18 inches from the antenna, but the wiring harness runs within inches, so I am thinking that may be why. Other antenna locations may have different results.
Lou

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode