Alfa Spider Duetto 1750 chassis VIN query - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Gold Subscriber

"Discovery" is good as well.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:16 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
However, for the avoidance of doubt in a thread that has turned into a conspiracy/witch hunt in my opinion. It is quite clearly (from the eBay pictures) a European series one 1750 Duetto/Roundtail Spider. The UK DVLA (V5?) documentation discussed and mentioned in the ad similarly sounds reasonable given the stated import history. A different engine (if it is) and smack in the nose (itís a Duetto, they all have!) only gives the car providence that itís been actually used by somebody.
There are some folks who have recently become bitten by the Alfa bug. They don't know much about the cars they are interested in purchasing. So, they come here or a few other places seeking information. As far as I am concerned, this car looks every bit a 1967 1750 Spider Veloce. But, the chassis number would throw me completely off a purchase. I have seen many cobbled together cars in the last 25 years. There is one that is documented in Pat Braden's Giulia History and Restoration. I saw this car when I first met the late Gary Valant. The car had been totaled and the owner bought it back from the insurance company. Gary and his team sourced a used back half and grafted the two together. It was done to a very high standard.

I posted pictures of a half and half car I saw in Imola, Italy. It's more than obvious this car was put together from two.

I've seen a early seventies Giulia sedan get the VIN from a 1967 Giulia sedan that was totaled by the insurance company. The owner wanted to save his car, but it was so badly crumpled (the boot was compressed to the back seat), it was not fixable. So, an early seventies sedan was sourced and the VIN grafted in place.

So, this car has some strange stuff going on. I'm not expert enough on all of the subtle differences in the stampings of the Spider inner fender parts to tell of the front half of the car was sourced from a kamm tail. All of the bit necessary to make the engine compartment look like a 1750 can be transplanted from another car. It's really easy. The fact that the firewall has a VIN from a kamm tail is enough to turn me off. This could cause all sorts of problems for the buyer, especially, if he lives out of the country. If the paperwork says one thing and the firewall another, it's a huge problem. This car needs a serious inspection by a knowledgeable Alfista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
I own a Ď66 1600 RHD Duetto. Iíve been restoring it for over seven years now and this thread is the exact reason I hesitate to share any of the details I have learned (and enjoyed) with this community. Personally disappointing to be honest as I have learned so much from so many people in here over the last twenty years** or so.

** Iíve had two accounts for those of you now stalking every post Iíve made with faux internet outrage
I certainly understand your reluctance to post pictures of your restoration. I don't recall seeing any negative comments about your restoration. If someone makes a comment that you feel is a rules violation, you can report the post and have the moderator team look into it. If someone post something that is considered off topic, you can report that as well and the moderator team will look into it.
alfaloco and spiderserie4 like this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:58 PM

Hi All

I am now the owner of this vehicle and am having the provenance checked by AROC UK. When I know more I'll get back to you...The price low which
was right considering the doubt about the VIN and the guy I bought it off of was very open and honest...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:06 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Congratulations. I will be watching this with great interest.

Brian __________________________________

post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:51 PM

Thanks......hope to know next week.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:36 PM

Can't say too much but all good news........thanks for your interest!
Car passed MOT (voluntary as no longer required as car is classic), with one advisory.....slight play in steering box.....but solid mint condition underneath......engine rebuilt 10k miles ago and is really sweet.....getting car refurbished to a good driver level....new panels, fresh paint etc.....issue with panel gaps around doors is sorted.....needed new doorhandle which was a pain as both Classic Alfa and Alfaholics were out of stock......found a pair in Germany (€340 ouch!)...cars bodywork should be finished in about six weeks, then gonna just enjoy her and restore/ replace trim as and when...cheers
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:23 AM

Hi All,

Research going well....meeting with DVLA soon.

gathering parts now

does anyone know of a jack for sale? Should there be a tool kit?

Thanks
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfa1750 View Post
Car passed MOT (voluntary as no longer required as car is classic), with one advisory.....slight play in steering box.....
The play in the steering box may be adjusted out; if the gears are not worn too bad.

Mark
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:47 PM

Thanks Mark

I think the tester was being super fussy, (they seem to hate not finding something!), I've heared that thess boxes can be tricky to get right but I will get it looked at if I feel any play when it's back on the road.

Cheers
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfa1750 View Post
Hi All,

Research going well....meeting with DVLA soon.

gathering parts now

does anyone know of a jack for sale? Should there be a tool kit?

Thanks
For the 69 the tool kit would look like this.
Attached Images

post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:16 PM

Great, thanks......does This sit on top of the spare wheel?
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:57 PM

According to the Duetto Register, the tools sat on the left hand side of the trunk.
Attached Images

Last edited by 6alfas; 08-29-2019 at 07:21 PM.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:58 AM

Great bit of detail thanks Mark.
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:47 PM

This seller shows he has a 105 jack: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...-new-used.html You have to download the parts list.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 02:58 PM

Thank you

I've sent an inquiry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode