Instruments lights left headlight and rear lights don’t work ? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Instruments lights left headlight and rear lights don’t work ?

On a 1986 graduate check the fuse and seem do be ok have all the symptoms of a faulty fuse but i even put a new one nothing has changed wonder what’s the problem ? also recently my fan don’t work but the fan lights in on ?? Is this related ? Plz help thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Botbol View Post
On a 1986 graduate check the fuse and seem do be ok have all the symptoms of a faulty fuse but i even put a new one nothing has changed wonder what’s the problem ? also recently my fan don’t work but the fan lights in on ?? Is this related ? Plz help thanks everyone
Sounds like you have several different problems, each with a potentially separate cause.
For your instrument lights, have you checked to make sure the light dimmer switch is good, and turned all the way up? Try bypassing it by jumpering the two wires that are connected to it.
Headlight and taillight problems could be due to faulty ground wire chassis connection, or dirty contacts in the column combo switch. If you have no rear lights at all (including no brake lights), I would check the wiring harness and ground connections in the trunk first (before I removed the combo switch to test it).
If your heater fan indicator lamp is on, but the fan motor is not blowing, it's most likely that the motor is frozen up or rusted, and less likely that the fan switch is bad.

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"

Last edited by Norseman50; 10-26-2018 at 10:36 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 02:04 AM

each headlight has its own ground: a small wire clipped under one of the headlight mounting screws...it is always troublesome and not a good solution, albeit factory!
(photo1), remove, clean, refit.

heater fan - test if it turns by sticking your fingers in the heater box vent, driver's side, above the pedals. If not too frozen you can sometimes get it turning again.
Check the heater wires have not been knocked off. (photo2)
Check power at those wires.

last but not least, send BB member 'Papajam' a PM with your email and model and he will send you a great colored wiring diagram for your spider.
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replays but the the 3 problems happened at the same so I don’t what electronic problem happen those problems are problems related any commet will help thanks
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
any recent work done on the car?

Quote:
Thanks for the replays but the the 3 problems happened at the same so I don’t what electronic problem happen those problems are problems related any commet will help thanks
If all the issues "happened" at the same time, I would ask myself "what was changed on the car?" (since that is most likely what precipitated all those problems).

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Yes my mechanic did charge a fuse

My mechanic changed a fuse near inside the car (the fuse is in this little red box) because the cat wouldn’t start he did also change the Slave master clutch cylinder anyway after I get the car the fan didn’t work even if the light of the fan is on ?? And 2 days later suddenly while driving the instruments lights the left headlight and all of rear and side don’t work I thought it was fuse number 9 (it’s has all of those things that don’t work) but I put a new fuse same problem so just wondering what is the problem ? Any help would be appreciated as I’m new to this forum thanks
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 12:13 AM

Garage
I think you were given some good advice on the other thread you started. These cars are finicky about electrical grounds, crappy fuse box, etc. tracing these issues can be a PITA but you have to start somewhere. Have you asked PAPAJAM for a wiring diagram yet? Alfabb helps them who help themselves... lol
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 05:32 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Threads merged.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Here is my fuse box can anyone tell me if my problem is because of the way the wire are connected ?? Also I have a used fuse box that is bought couple of week ago I’m wondering if I should remplace it. I’m terms of time does anybody know how long it should take a mechanic to replace the box.
Thanks !!
Attached Images

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Here is my fuse box can anyone tell me if my problem is because of the way the wire are connected ??
well one thing is obvious
your initial problem (Instruments lights left headlight and rear lights don’t work) is in many ways associated with the fuses 7,9 & 11 where those odd wires are amateurishly soldered to.

are they for accessories? (in any case should be connected properly at the back of the box)

nb: with those bullet fuses, even when you replace one or the other, the holders are sometimes problematic: I'd sand/scotchbrite them all clean, then make the holders 'grasp the fuse' a little stronger, by squeezing the tangs together some.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:41 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Did the mechanic replace the clutch pivot arm? If so, it might explain the sudden failures of numerous electrical circuits; the fusebox got disturbed as did the dimmer switch and fan wires.
As Dom said, what are those soldered wires for?
And some of the fuse values are wrong. Fuse #1 should be 25 amp, fuses 2 & 3 should be 16 amp and all rest are 8 amp.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

A mechanic suggested that I’ll change my fusebox is anybody knows an Alfa or a reliable mechanic that can charge the box ?
(I have a used fusebox)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 12:23 AM

Garage
Dont use the same horrible design Alfa put in the early Spiders, use a blade type. When I was building off road race cars and remods I used a brand called Centech. Nice sealed box with a nice board and all the relays and flashers you will need to do a clean job. This has been years ago but I am sure they are still in business, maybe even improved their product, if that is possible. I believe they were based out of Perkiomanvile, PA, or something like that.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

ok Thanks for the advice I’ll check it out
But can someone tell me what’s this wire for it’s green and black
Attached Images

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

The wire is just under the fusebox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode