Electric Spider - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:57 AM
Gold Subscriber

I am sure that alfas always overachieve leak oil regardless if they have an engine or not....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradguy93 View Post
The only Alfa Romeo Spider in history to not leak oil.
Don't worry, the gearbox and diff still leak

Seth Friesen
post #108 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's Alive!
I have been neglecting to update, but the car works! After sorting out an issue with the throttle pedal signal, the car is up and running. The first few drives were just around the block because the car is not technically "registered" for street use. This is my first experience with a non-production electric car, but I can safely say the driving dynamics are vastly improved over the orginal. The motor makes no vibrations, so it is very smooth running down the road. The power is also greatly improved. The Hyper 9 motor makes roughly 120 hp and 170 ft/lbs of torque. It is not gratuitously fast like a Tesla, but certainly quicker than a stock spider. Because of the torque curve, you can start off in third gear, but 2nd seems to be the best combo for zipping around town. I have not ventured out on the freeway, but it pulls quickly to 60 mph.

The thing that takes most getting used to is the lack of sound and the clutch. The motor doesn't need to idle, so to pull away from a dead stop, you put it in gear and press the accelerator, no clutch slipping. You can also row through the gears and it behaves just like a gas engine. Out of habit, I always press the clutch when stopping, but there is no need in the electric car. The car makes a futuristic motor sound that is somewhat pleasant but no substitute for an Alfa engine. You can hear the gearbox and drivetrain noise, which fortunately is tame in this car. The downside to all of this is the 40 year-old car squeaks and rattles which now take center stage with no engine noise to mask it. Once you go above 45 mph, it's all wind noise.

All and all, I am happy with the performance. Next up, reassembling the interior...

Seth Friesen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmolino View Post
It's Alive!
I have been neglecting to update, but the car works! After sorting out an issue with the throttle pedal signal, the car is up and running. The first few drives were just around the block because the car is not technically "registered" for street use. This is my first experience with a non-production electric car, but I can safely say the driving dynamics are vastly improved over the orginal. The motor makes no vibrations, so it is very smooth running down the road. The power is also greatly improved. The Hyper 9 motor makes roughly 120 hp and 170 ft/lbs of torque. It is not gratuitously fast like a Tesla, but certainly quicker than a stock spider. Because of the torque curve, you can start off in third gear, but 2nd seems to be the best combo for zipping around town. I have not ventured out on the freeway, but it pulls quickly to 60 mph.

The thing that takes most getting used to is the lack of sound and the clutch. The motor doesn't need to idle, so to pull away from a dead stop, you put it in gear and press the accelerator, no clutch slipping. You can also row through the gears and it behaves just like a gas engine. Out of habit, I always press the clutch when stopping, but there is no need in the electric car. The car makes a futuristic motor sound that is somewhat pleasant but no substitute for an Alfa engine. You can hear the gearbox and drivetrain noise, which fortunately is tame in this car. The downside to all of this is the 40 year-old car squeaks and rattles which now take center stage with no engine noise to mask it. Once you go above 45 mph, it's all wind noise.

All and all, I am happy with the performance. Next up, reassembling the interior...
A video is demanded by your loyal fan club...
...when you get time!
Elmolino and Billy_McSkintos like this.

50 years from now - how are we going to restore a "classic" microprocessor based modern car?? Alfas - 1980 Spider, 1987 Milano, 1976 Spider
post #110 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:01 PM

Garage
Congratulations! And yes, I'm also anxious to see a video!

1985 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
post #111 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:04 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Sweet

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #112 of 112 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:36 PM

Too cool!! Congrats!

Can't wait to hear more about driving impressions and battery performance (range, charge time).

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Don - 1984 Spider Veloce[/FONT]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode