Electric Spider - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lots of progress! Been so busy working on the car, I have been neglecting the posts. The motor has been installed along with the front battery box. The front battery box contains 24 Leaf modules.

A critical system in an EV is the BMS (Battery Management System). This system monitors the voltage of each individual battery. When charging, the BMS shuts off the charger when the high voltage (fully charged state) is reached. If a lithium battery is overcharged, it can overheat causing thermal runaway. Basically the batteries can catch on fire!

Additionally, the BMS triggers an alarm when a programmed low-voltage state is reached. In this car there is a buzzer and flashing light on the dash that essentially tells you to stop driving the car or you will damage the batteries. There is no fire danger in draining the batteries below their minimum voltage. The batteries can be damaged, lessening their capacity. The Charger, Charger Controller, and State of Charge gauge (fuel gauge) are all integrated and communicate on a CAN network. You can see the BMS monitoring leads in the photo, they are the little white wires. I am using the BMS and charging system by Thunderstruck Motors (www.thunderstruck-ev.com)

No, those aren't dishwashing gloves! Special electrical gloves and tools to avoid getting zapped. The last picture is the front box with the lid and battery cut-off switch.The sides of the box are not installed; they are made out of perforated aluminum sheet metal.
Attached Images

Bjorn S and abeasley like this.

Seth Friesen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 AM

Garage
Awesome! Can't wait to hear about how she drives! You must be pretty close to the first test ride.

1985 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
post #93 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:20 PM

What an awesome build. Great clean work! Thanks for sharing this with all of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The headlight covers fit Spider body contours up to a certain year without modification (late 70's or early 80's ?). They fit later cars but with large gaps at the sides. Use SEARCH and there are many threads with details. Remove the round plate inside the front wheel well and, if you see three backward facing threaded studs, you are good to go. My '76 Spider had these studs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmolino View Post
I like the headlight covers too. I would like to round up the parts to convert them eventually. I was told that you really need to "mold" the bodywork to the covers to make them fit well. I didn't do that, so hopefully they fit!...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #95 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:36 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarklotS View Post
What an awesome build. Great clean work! Thanks for sharing this with all of us.
Agree.

I wonder if you could install an engine bay undertray to help aero drag and also to keep that engine bay as spotless as it is currently?
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #96 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Agree.

I wonder if you could install an engine bay undertray to help aero drag and also to keep that engine bay as spotless as it is currently?
Pete
The radiator opening is going to be blocked to keep water off the controller and motor. I was also considering a piece of aluminum sheet metal from the cross member up to front valance. Not my car, but something like this:
Attached Images

PSk and Craig_m67 like this.

Seth Friesen
post #97 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:53 PM

Looking awesome Seth. I have not made as much progress converting my 88 spider to electric due to time constraints. Some differences between yours and mine are: I put 15 leaf modules across where the radiator is thus blocking that opening. The BMS, charger, controller, DC-DC converter and electric switching box are above the motor where you put batteries. I also put 48 leaf modules in the trunk. Keep up the good work...this is awesome.

Question: How much clearance do you have for the center tie rod link below your motor?
post #98 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:42 PM

"thermal runaway" I like that, it sounds better than an uncontrolled fire
When I consulted to the air navigation industry (not a controller, more like a planner), I enjoyed all the euphemisms for major incidents (itself an euphemism) with aircraft. My favourites are:
"contained failure" - the engine blew up but all the shrapnel remained within the cowling;
"uncontained failure" - the engine blew up and the shrapnel blew through the engine cowling; and
"controlled flight into terrain" - the pilot crashed the plane.
There are many other.

Elmolino, your project looks fascinating and I am enjoying following it. It will be great to see how it runs when you are finished.
Tom Frasca likes this.
post #99 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikex2 View Post

Question: How much clearance do you have for the center tie rod link below your motor?
The motor is actually mounted ahead of the center link, but the adaptor plate is about a 1/4" inch clearance at full lock. It looks pretty close to 3/4" with steering straight ahead. It is a little tight, but the motor mounts are significantly stiffer than the stock, so it won't be bouncing around.

Seth Friesen
post #100 of 123 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:54 PM

I’d just like to say how much I’ve enjoyed this tread and what an inspiring project.

I can’t wait to hear how it drives.

Andy S.
Craig_m67 and Elmolino like this.
post #101 of 123 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:18 PM

I too have a 78Spider I'd like to convert. It's without an engine or transmission and was initially intended as a home for my Daily Drivers engine.
I'd love any help/direction anyone can provide.
post #102 of 123 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 04:43 PM

Stupendous work m8! Just awesome.
Elmolino likes this.
post #103 of 123 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:24 PM

Garage
I'm following ...Interesting

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #104 of 123 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 03:47 AM

Great thread and awesome work. I like the attention to detail in your work practice, too, like the rubber gloves and plastic handled wrenches. I wouldn't have thought of that.
Elmolino likes this.

Spider S4 1990 manual red LHD
Spider 916 V6 2002 Silver
post #105 of 123 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:47 AM

The only Alfa Romeo Spider in history to not leak oil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode