LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:30 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader View Post
Or, top-tier cars with very expensive drivetrains, like air-cooled Porsches, any Ferrari, old Jags and Astons, etc., cars whose owners are more interested in the style and coachwork and want to be able to continue driving the car even when qualified mechanics or access to gasoline disappears.
I am highly skeptical that such a market exists - at least a market of any size. Perhaps in 100 years when fossil fuels are outlawed and all cars are self-driving. But for the forseeable future, people buy top tier cars to enter them in tours and concours. And no serious vintage event would accept an electric conversion. Even buyers who aren't "car guys" don't want a 6 or 7 figure Ferrari/Porsche/Aston that they can't use to show off and win trophies.

I know - the Jaguar and Aston Martin factories are now offering to convert vintage cars to electric. And it is completely reversible. This is a PR ploy and while a few people may spring for it, they will be seriously degrading the values of their classics.

Yes zelectric has a nice business converting VW's to electric. But these are hardly "top tier" cars.
While I agree with most of your post, you do have to remember out side of America (and a few oil producers) petrol is expensive. If America was not propping up its dying auto industry, petrol would be expensive there too.

So for some an electric conversion would mean a car they could use considerably more. Even my 156v6 misses out of a few trips because the Vitz is so much cheaper to run. We are talking serious $'s of at least $50 cheaper to fill the tank. That is a lot of beer ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
If America was not propping up its dying auto industry, petrol would be expensive there too.
That's a laugh! Petroleum is priced the same world-wide. However, countries like New Zealand chose to tax it heavily to prop up their dying entitlement programs.

Most cars on the road here are "import" brands, and the remainder are Ford & GM vehicles built in Mexico. America is hardly propping up its auto industry.
gprocket likes this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #63 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Petrol is priced the same world-wide. However, many countries chose to tax it heavily to prop up their dying entitlement programs.
+1

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:41 PM

Garage
Can we take the patriotic, my country your country ******** somewhere else
This thread is about an electric car build
Nader likes this.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #65 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:03 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Apologies.

For whatever reason fuel prices vary through out our world, and for some an electric conversion would mean their classic will be used more.

So there is a market, but it is a tiny one. Especially as many view the engine as the soul of a classic car. I'd rather convert my 1750 in to a hybrid ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #66 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The electric conversion makes sense for the semi-collectable cars out there; but it is not for everyone and there are cars out there that should never be converted. We can all agree that we would rather own an electric converted VW bug or late 70s Spider over a Nissan Leaf right?

In my mind, this is just the next chapter in hot-rodding. If you can build something one of a kind that has improved performance over the original, then why not? I am sure people were complaining about kids putting V8s into a Model A in the 50s...
gprocket and AngloSpider like this.

Seth Friesen
post #67 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Not sure how 32 miles total range is an improvement!

Robert
Max Pershyn likes this.
post #68 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
Not sure how 32 miles total range is an improvement!

Robert
32 miles? Seems about half of what I estimate, how did you figure that? If you have knowledge about electric conversions, or specific information about the specs of my project, I would like to hear more.

Seth Friesen
post #69 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:14 PM

Nope. That's just the real-world range of many of the (Chevy and other) electric cars. But 60 miles is not a lot either. The few people I know with electrics don't get the advertised range (except maybe the Tesla). And it takes a really power-saving driving style to get that. Have you tried "hyper-miling" in a regular car. Does great in mpg, but isn't as lot of fun to drive.

Robert
post #70 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 06:54 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Well, there's a top-end market - check this out:

https://www.mensjournal.com/gear/roy...-prince-harry/

50 years from now - how are we going to restore a "classic" microprocessor based modern car?? Alfas - 1980 Spider, 1987 Milano, 1976 Spider
post #71 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Gold Subscriber

Good article.
But it implied the E Type debuted in 1968.
It was 1961 and the inimitable Henry Manney III described the car as:
"The greatest crumpet collector known to man."
Sigh,

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #72 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Nope. That's just the real-world range of many of the (Chevy and other) electric cars. But 60 miles is not a lot either. The few people I know with electrics don't get the advertised range (except maybe the Tesla). And it takes a really power-saving driving style to get that. Have you tried "hyper-miling" in a regular car. Does great in mpg, but isn't as lot of fun to drive.

Robert
I think you are confusing plug-in hybrid ranges with full EVs. The Chevy Bolt (Chevy's only full EV) has been tested as meeting or exceeding the rated range (238 miles):

https://www.latimes.com/business/aut...nap-story.html

There are also quite a few long-range EVs besides Tesla coming out over the next year (Porsche, Audi, Jaguar). Since very few people commute anywhere close to 100 miles each way, there's rarely a need for hypermile driving in the modern crop of EVs. I think the main problem with many EV conversions is simply the fact that to get the most out of an EV powertrain, the chassis needs to be designed from the ground up for EVs. That's part of the reason why Tesla was so far ahead of cars like the Nissan Leaf (which was really just a converted Nissan Versa). The EV powertrain allows you to put the center of gravity quite low (batteries in the floor), and provides quite a bit of extra storage space by allowing a "frunk." Many converted EVs just batteries and motors under the hood like an ICE car, which eliminates many of the advantages.

I can see pros and cons of converting an old classic. On one hand, it can allow the car to become a reliable daily driver even after most parts have become NLA. On the other, it does kill the character of the car. For a car like an S3 Spider, I have no real concerns- they are plenty common and have little collector value. Only thing I would do compared to the OP's build is add more power.

Last edited by nealric; 01-07-2019 at 08:36 AM.
post #73 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Robert
I spent several hours driving a F430, Gallardo, Z06, GTR, and an R8 chasing a Tesla p85 up the sea to sky hwy. And yes... I said chasing. It was; how shall I say this.... hard driving.

On the way back we stopped for photos and 0-60 sprints in the Tesla in the parking lot. After all that spirited driving the Tesla had 70% charge after starting out with 88%. We still cranked of 3.6s sprints back to back to back with 5 of us in the car. He still had 55% when we got back.

Electric is nothing like gas... and yes makes no engine sounds like you expect but it is exhilarating and exciting none the less. Even the sound they do make has its own character and I for one like it.

It is fun to paint electric future as boring, but if you are looking and paying attention to what it can actually do, the performance era is far from dead. Remember, the transition from horse to car was not terribly exciting to start, but is sure changed quickly.

As for the future? More factories will do what Aston has announced doing. It does not devalue the car in anyway shape or form. It gives it long standing additional value and a reason for collectors and enthusiasts to continue long term ownership.

Nostalgia however is powerful. But denying the progress and future certainly does not serve anyone's purpose.
PSk, Nader and AngloSpider like this.
post #74 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:11 AM
Gold Subscriber

Interesting post.
JB
Are you a car journalist?

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #75 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:28 AM

Garage
Saw this build today on Jalopnik. More up my ally when it comes to EV converstion:

https://jalopnik.com/an-electric-swa...emy-1831441635

It's a Honda S2000 with a Tesla drivetrain- looks to be good for 9 second 1/4 miles once they are done tweaking (currently low 10s).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode