Electric Spider - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:26 PM

Garage
Very cool!

I wanted to the same with my Giulia eventually also with the Hyper9 Engine as it is the most affordable currently.

Only that, I wanted to get rid of the tranny as it brings in a lot of losses and because the stock diff ratio should be good enough especially the earlier ones.

Have you actually calculated whether these batteries will give you enough kW, well actually amps to get the best of the engine? To obtain max the demand like 600a which is a hella lot!

All the best to your project!

Learning, learning..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:55 AM

Garage
[quote=Jim G;8326934]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmolino View Post
Canadian Electric Vehicles produces a 1500 watt heating element that can be retrofitted to the heater box.

Canadian Electric Vehicles Ltd. - Heaters

As far as AC, not planning to install. It is possible, people use electric AC compressors from Nissan leafs.[/QUOTE

How much of the battery charge does the electric heater use up?
A significant amount which is why heated seats is a must have in modern EV's. But he wont need it too much in CA most likely :-).

Learning, learning..
post #18 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 07:07 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Interesting!!

I've been one of the designers for several electric motor controllers of various sizes as part of my job - and one of the key advantages of electric motors is the zero-thru-low RPM torque capabilities which allow for no clutch operation (why bother? Just make the old clutch pedal signal a cutout of the motor fields!).

Can't wait to hear the details!

50 years from now - how are we going to restore a "classic" microprocessor based modern car?? Alfas - 1980 Spider, 1987 Milano, 1976 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
In my design, I am attaching the motor, motor mounts, front battery box, and transmission adaptor plate to one structure. The idea is to attach all of the components to this structure.

I have been contemplating other old car electric conversions; so I am trying to make universal parts. The structure pictured below will be made of waterjet cut 1/2" aluminum. I am attempting to design parts that require little to no additional machining once the are cut. I am not an engineer by trade, I am learning as I go!

The first picture shows the frame structure, with motor mounts attaching to the four holes on the side. The second picture shows the battery boxes attached to the top.
Attached Images

Seth Friesen
post #20 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 05:16 AM
Will you have batteries in the back also? From your numbers you look to be shedding a fair amount of weight from stock. Could you increase the number of batteries to increase the range? Can you maintain a similar weight distribution as stock in order to retain the handling characteristics? In round numbers, what do you think you'll have into the conversion dollar wise?

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
Will you have batteries in the back also? From your numbers you look to be shedding a fair amount of weight from stock. Could you increase the number of batteries to increase the range? Can you maintain a similar weight distribution as stock in order to retain the handling characteristics? In round numbers, what do you think you'll have into the conversion dollar wise?
Pictured is the rear battery box in my parts car. It will hold 14 batteries and weighs about 120 lbs. I decided to construct it out of some quality plywood because it will eventually be upholstered to match the interior and it needed to be completely non-conductive because of the proximity to passengers. The batteries are actually attached to the chassis through 8 steel threaded rods, the plywood box not really structural.

By my estimations, the front batteries and motor and components weigh in around 350lbs. This is pretty close to the weight of the stock engine cooling system etc.

Total electric conversion parts are going to run 10-12k. A more detailed parts list to come...
Attached Images

Seth Friesen
post #22 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:37 PM

Brilliant, please keep us all posted as this is very impressive.

Certainly wouldn’t Bother with heater, or AC.

Andy S
post #23 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:25 PM

Our summers are short her in New England so a heater here is quite important. AC, not so much
post #24 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:52 PM

Garage
Sorry not a fan. Not a fan of cutting up a classic to make an EV. 18 kWh will give you a 40 mile range if you don’t keep your foot in it.

Good luck though.

Never too many Alfas
post #25 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:15 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

How does electrifying a spider turn it from blue to white?

Photo from Elmolino's first post:

Photo from Elmolino's post #21:

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 10-18-2018 at 06:19 PM.
post #26 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbill View Post
Sorry not a fan. Not a fan of cutting up a classic to make an EV. 18 kWh will give you a 40 mile range if you don’t keep your foot in it.

Good luck though.
Err... This build looks completely reversible.. the only cutting I’ve seen so far has been the timber for the battery box? The drive train (engine) can be put back in as far as I can tell.

Sorry, i’m a huge fan... the are millions of rusty spiders in the world. This one will live on for a while longer. That said, I’d be removing the floor and installing the batteries under there ala Tesla style to lower the centre of gravity. Indeed I’d ditch the whole drivetrain and either insert

1. an electric motor where the diff is, grafted into the original axle (some shortening may be required)
2. Stick in a Dedion transaxle from a 116 car, hack the gearbox off and replace with a motor.

Batteries into the drive shaft tunnel, floor and lower front “trunk” to re establish balance

All that is significant engineering though.. so a plywood box full of batteries and something that bolts on where the motor went is a good compromise

Jaguar have just done (and now offer) the same setup to officially retro mod the E-Type

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...

Last edited by Craig_m67; 10-18-2018 at 06:21 PM.
post #27 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
Sorry, i’m a huge fan... the are millions of rusty spiders in the world. This one will live in for a while.
Yup, agree. Late 70's /early 80's Alfas will never be "classics". Too many built, 5 mph bumpers, difficulty getting Spica past California emissions, ....

Quote:
1. an electric motor where the diff is, grafted into the original axle (some shortening may be required)
2. Stick in a Dedion transaxle from a 116 car, hack the gearbox off and replace with a motor.
Batteries into the drive shaft tunnel, floor and lower front “trunk” to re establish balance

All that is significant engineering though.. so a plywood box full of batteries and something that bolts on where the motor went is a good compromise
Perfect is the enemy of finished and back on the road.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 10-18-2018 at 06:26 PM.
post #28 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
How does electrifying a spider turn it from blue to white?

Photo from Elmolino's first post:

Photo from Elmolino's post #21:

Ahh, good catch! The white one is 1981 parts car. I would have used it for the conversion, but it had sustained some major front end damage that would have been too much work to fix.

Seth Friesen
post #29 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbill View Post

Good luck though.
Agree to disagree but I would like to see greater range. My Volt did 40 miles which was fine for commuting to work but I'd want to drive the Spider far more...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 123 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:25 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
One possibility is to buy a totaled Tesla for the batteries.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode