‘74 Veloce keep stock or mod? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

‘74 Veloce keep stock or mod?

Hello all
Just doing a quick poll. I just bought a ‘74 Spider Veloce in 99% original condition and the question is, do I keep it stock or do some minor modifications? Sport Springs/shocks seem to be a common mod but does it make that much difference with stock motor? I’m going back and forth on what to do. Keep it a time capsule or get rid of the bumper nipples and the awful (I assume) dealer applied chrome side strip more commonly found on MGs

As a side note, I’m driving it from CA to Harlingen TX with my dear old 81yr Dad next month. Going to take hwy 8 to 10. Any suggestions for Alfa shops along the way just in case? Yuma, Tucson, Las Cruces, El Paso, San Antonio? Car was just serviced, I had a new set of Pirelli CN36 tires mounted and changed the wipers. Road flares and duct tape in the trunk. Hopefully won’t have trouble but better to be prepared...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 06:41 AM

Before you change the springs/shocks why don't you see how the ride and handling of the stock setup suits the way you will use the car?

I had a '69 Spider (for 24 years), and the PO had put a sport suspension on the car. Although I didn't autocross the car, I didn't mind the added stiffness until I drove a similar car with a stock suspension: a much more comfortable ride around town, with handling adequate for the way I use the car.

My "new" '79 Spider has a stock suspension with which I am quite happy.

As for the black overriders on your bumpers: I just retrofitted a set of '74 bumpers onto my '79 Spider.

I, too, am not particularly happy with the look.

But when finished, my '79 will be a nice-looking driver, and I have decided that the extra parking protection afforded by those overriders outweighs their less-attractive look when compared with Euro bumpers.

BTW, since I had considered taking the overriders off, I looked around but could not find a source for the rear bumper black rubber rub strip; only the fronts seem to be available as far as I can tell.

Enjoy your car!

Addendum:

BTW, the '74 bumpers use the overrider structure to mount the bumpers, unlike the Euro bumpers.

For example, the rear bumper overriders bolt through the bumper to the two shock absorbers that then mount to recesses in the body - so it would not be a simple process to get rid of those overriders - you would need to retrofit to a Euro-type bumper mount.

Likewise, if I recall correctly, the front overriders also mount directly to the heavy steel front bumper frame in the '74.

Last edited by Mario Romagnoli; 10-05-2018 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Addendum
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:33 AM

I vote to delete the side strips. Hopefully there were glued rather than riveted.

David OD
Laguna CA
f4driver likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David O'D View Post
I vote to delete the side strips. Hopefully there were glued rather than riveted.

David OD
Laguna CA
Yes - I have those on my '79 as well. They will come off when I have the car painted.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:54 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I would stay mostly original, mostly. Sure, take the rubber side moulding off, they weren't original anyway. Go ahead and change the springs and shocks if you don't like how the stuff that's in there now feels, keep the original springs though. Definitely don't put a new style radio in it, cut holes in the dash or door panels, etc. I don't know what you mean by bumper nipples, if they are from the factory then leave them. Keep the spica if it still has it. I think it should have all rubber matting interior, I don't think carpet came till the 80's sometime, if your rubber mats are still in good shape, keep them. In general it's way easier to maintain something that's good and original than to try and find missing bits and bobs later. Having said that, in the end, it's your car, go ahead and put drag slicks on it and and LT1 engine in it, if that's what makes your eyes light up.... :-)

Cheers,
TimFlaco likes this.

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

That’s for the advice from all. I think the consensus is to keep stock and I was leaning that way. It’s in too good condition to justify slicing and dicing. Will post pics if we make it!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 11:13 PM

Bolt on = OK.
Cutting & drilling takes a lot of extra work to reverse.

On my 73, they had an ugly rubber covered joiner between the halves of the front bumper, covering up the grille. Just removing that piece is an improvement.

+1 on testing the ride before you jump in to upgrade parts. Just remember that new polyurethane is much, much stiffer than 40 year old rubber. You may only need to refresh some rubber bits to get the ride you like.
alfabeach likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 11:16 PM

Oh yeah, bring a fire extinguisher.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 08:03 AM

Garage
The bumper shocks can be relieved of pressure allowing the bumpers to be pushed in a fair ways. definitely looks better.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Spider and Sport Sedan
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Great tip on the bumper shocks thanks!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I wouldn't do anything that couldn't be reversed in the future.

Pretty brave driving a 44 year old car, serviced-or-not and unknown to you, that distance in desolate country. Not something I would do, especially with an elderly Dad. You're going to find the car is very fatiguing on long distances . . noise, ride, etc. Unless the fuel supply pump is new, I'd carry a spare. I'd carry a spare anyway. Also a copy of the Roadside Spica Diagnostics/Repair Guide. Did you check the condition of the Spica Injection Pump to be sure it's not a "leaker?"

My strong advice is to ship it or trailer it yourself. Renting a tow car and trailer from UHaul may be very expensive. I understand that the major exodus of Californians out of California has drive up the one-way rates quite a bit.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 10-07-2018 at 04:09 PM.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

@ Roadtrip

All good advice.

Dad is a road warrior. Better prepared for this trip than I am! He's driven from NY to Costa Rica several times (once with me and my sisters when I was 10 (1979), through 2 civil wars). We actually broke down in a dusty town in the Sierra Madres and had to barter a battery charger for a water pump because we only had dollars not Peso's (we were driving a plymouth volare wagon with a slant 6 and there was a car with a slant 6 broken down at the shop. Hows that for luck). Cross country many times, up and down the east coast 2x yr and a few weeks ago he moved himself in a uhaul from Orlando to Harlingen TX. Not worried about him. I’ve done my fair share too. Florida to Boston in a beater Suzuki samurai I bought sight unseen and the same trip a few years later (another unseen purchase) in a ‘78 bronco with a transmission leak so bad I had to stop ever 100 miles to fill the fluid back up. My girlfriend came with me on that trip and now she’s my wife.

Yes planning on it not being the most comfortable ride. Have only taken my '87 quad out for a 2hr trip and it was definitely not the same as my Volvo...But the desert views will be priceless. And it can’t be worse than the Samurai.

Spica was just rebuilt and all fuel filters replaced ~250 miles ago. Bringing a new fuel supply pump is not a bad idea. Wes's manual is in the trunk already along with 2 cell phones, flares, multi-tool, duct tape, food bars and a few gal. of water.

And I have AAA premium (200 mile tow). We might end up towing it back, but we will give it our best try. 1st day will be a 1.5hr shake down drive. Any issues and we will be close enough to just have it towed back to a good shop and have it serviced.

I'll update when I'm back.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 07:39 PM

OK. With that additional info....
You are qualified to do it Blues Brothers style:
Full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, and sunglasses.
Hit it!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:46 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
As others have said, I'd drive it first to see how you like it before starting on any performance mods. Side molding was added by the dealer (or aftermarket), so I'd have no problem ditching that.

For your trip, bring spares. I'd carry a Spica injection pump belt, maybe a fan belt, some fuses, fuel filter, maybe a fuel pump, etc. Stuff like that can be easily replaced on the road if it breaks, but can take days to get if you don't have it with you. Tools, you can buy or borrow most of what you might need along the way.

Have fun!

bs
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:43 PM

CohoQuad: what a COOL DAD you have! AWESOME ALFA roadtrip CA to TX . . . I share your wanderlust sense of adventure picking up classics in far off locales. I’ve done it many times- once got published in MOPAR MUSCLE documenting my Kentucky to San Francisco ride in my eBay ‘70 Barracuda. All the Best on your latest journey!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode