‘74 Veloce keep stock or mod? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:30 PM

Just came back from Gulfport MS to Houston in my 74..Round trip for one week
....it can get HOT at times...comfort isnt too bad...like you say "not like my Volvo" but not bad.......LOLI drive a C30 daily , have had many Volvos...
'
right leg may get cramped if youre taller...I had my accelerator modified to get more straight leg... the 'roller bearing modification'...

re Bumpers...I dont mind the fronts rubber 'nipples', as you call them...I thought for awhile to remove and buy earlier parts, but gotten used to them, the replacements seem pretty pricey......rear bumper I have a Euro bumper , installed by previous owner.

mine isnt modified much...ROTA rims..15 inch...Nardi steering wheel...side makers removed by PO over 20 yrs ago...SPICA was removed, now Dellorto carbs, which suits me just fine...

on a long trip like that, you might encounter rain...my top doesnt leak , but after heavy rains I get a tiny drip from where windshield ends , top meets door..drips onto arm, then runs to elbow then drips to pants....

The trip youre doing , Ive done several times...but not in the ALFA , but in old Landcruiser, and other cars....got 140 miles out into desert from LA once in an old Bronco before it died and flat bedded back to LA....I think you`ll be fine...just take your time...the most boring part is West Texas to San Antonio...

and....get rid of the side moldings if they peel off...should be glued...but be careful to not pull the paint! I added stripes to the hood on my 1963 Mini Cooper in 1964...changed my mind in 65 , peeled off, only to lose about 30% of the paint under...luckily a small hood to re paint!

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6

Last edited by Bjorn S; 10-08-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshorey View Post
As others have said, I'd drive it first to see how you like it before starting on any performance mods. Side molding was added by the dealer (or aftermarket), so I'd have no problem ditching that.

For your trip, bring spares. I'd carry a Spica injection pump belt, maybe a fan belt, some fuses, fuel filter, maybe a fuel pump, etc. Stuff like that can be easily replaced on the road if it breaks, but can take days to get if you don't have it with you. Tools, you can buy or borrow most of what you might need along the way.

Have fun!

bs
Ah, Mr. Shorey. Your name came up in conversation about a year ago at a brewery in Chino Valley, Arizona if I remember correctly..............

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Spider and Sport Sedan
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Glad I’m not the only nut out there!

Thanks all for the tips and well wishes. Should be fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 03:53 PM

Garage
Keep this number: Gordon Self, 505-220-4712. Alfa Trained mechanic in Albuquerque, NM. Assume I-40 is on your route, possibly.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! Thank you so much. I feel better knowing shops along the way
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcreek View Post
Ah, Mr. Shorey. Your name came up in conversation about a year ago at a brewery in Chino Valley, Arizona if I remember correctly..............
I don't know - I wasn't there! Was I?

bs
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Harmon
Gold Subscriber

CoHo,
Make the car what you want it to be but save the original parts. I built my 64 spider, Abby, to be a blond, chick magnet in the 1980s and I have now been happily married to one for 18 years. Good on ya for making the drive from CA to TX, especially with your Dad. These cars were made for driving! I wish I could have had my Dad accompany me on one of my seven cross country trips. Last month we tried Sarasota, FL to Grapevine, TX for the Italian Car Fest but Abby lost her tranny in Jackson, MS. Mike Besic in Chicago is rebuilding her a new one now. You have many great Alfa shops in CA. When we did the trip from Sarasota to San Francisco via Canada and back via Mexico five years ago we stopped in Las Cruces. There is a Sonics, the largest chilli pepper in the world and the most little cucarachas there. Join your local Alfa Romeo Owners Club for a list of repair shops.

Harmon
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Here she is pre-trip. The only things that look to be non-original are the cam cover powdercoat and carpet, but I like both of those so I’m good with that. Even shifter boot looks original. Wiper blades were not correct but I bought a pair of stainless ones from Alfa Parts in Berkeley already.

“I lost my tranny in Mississippi, now my baby’s in Chicago...”. Could be a good country song!
Attached Images

Bjorn S likes this.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 05:18 PM

Ready to go!
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 06:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshorey View Post
I don't know - I wasn't there! Was I?

bs
No. You weren't. But your daughter was. She brought up Alfas because I had my Alfa hat on.

I asked my buddy tonight as we worked on his 91 spider in my garage if he knew a Brian Shorey from the BB.

He said "BS? Sure I know him"

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Spider and Sport Sedan
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 01:59 PM

I vote to mod. Here’s mine
Attached Images

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Holy cow that’s Radical! Sure looks a lot faster than mine!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode