Advice on U.S. to Euro Bumper Conversion - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Advice on U.S. to Euro Bumper Conversion

1979 Spider low milage good shape considering changing out those nasty rubber Bumpers, advice (install experience/source supplier) and pictures of the end result would be very helpful.. Thanks....

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Platinum Subscriber

You have two choices either European or early 70's US.
There were no camtails sold in the US in 70. The 71 cars had bumpers that look like the Euro bumpers. '73 and '74 had "over riders" on the front which I think are ugly. I fitted Euro bumpers to my '79. The rears are easy to install. I think that the US rears are very similar. The front Euro bumpers are mounted differently than the 73/74 US. I have never had a good look at a US 71 and I don't know if it is the same as Euro or US 73/74.
I had to cut away some box section metal that extended the chassis to the old support plates. The Euro and USA bumper brackets are both W shaped. The US is much heavier. The Euro bumpers are mounted on leaf springs. The US I think use rubber pads. I think that the US bumpers stick out more than the Euro's.
Reoriginals in Texas sell reproduction Euro bumpers that are very good quality but they are expensive. I bought my front ones from a guy in Liverpool England and I brought them back to the states in a suitcase. My rear bumper came off a Canadian '70 camtail that I bought as a parts car.
Attached Images

Tom Frasca likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by alfaparticle; 09-03-2018 at 04:06 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 04:51 PM

Tom:

I just finished (today) this bumper conversion on a '79; I had donor bumpers from a '74, which are different from 71-73 because of the way they are mounted (with shock absobers in the rear but not the same distance apart as on our '79s).

I used the Classic Alfa conversion kit ( https://classicalfa.com/products.php...CONVERSION-KIT ) , but had to make a special bracket because the '74 US rear bumper mounts are different from the Eurospec mounts and do not match up.

Classic Alfa also sells the Eurospec bumpers, not cheap, but less expensive than US sources, even with the duty.

The front grille will also need a small bracket at the top, easy to make (next part of the project).

Here are before and after photos:
Attached Images

Tom Frasca and Eastportalfa like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Ed and Mario .... The decision is definitive, When I have the car ready for paint.... I just wanted to confirm the install as well, shopping around the prices swing a bit with Reoriginals as very expensive for the OEM rear bumper. I will keep you posted...Ed, you inspired me to do the lens covers as well..
Attached Images

Tom

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 07-23-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 12:06 AM

If possible, I would hold off sending the car to paint until you can get the bumpers and test the fitment.
It would be terrible to damage the new paint as you fit and remove the bumpers several times.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockRally View Post
If possible, I would hold off sending the car to paint until you can get the bumpers and test the fitment.
It would be terrible to damage the new paint as you fit and remove the bumpers several times.
Tom:

I wholeheartedly agree:

the bumpers and headlight covers should be fitted BEFORE paint-stainless bumpers are very sharp (wear gloves when handling) and easily damage paint; you especially don't want to drill holes through new paint for the headlight cover retaining screws.

Also, the two small holes for the top part of the 79 grille need to be closed, since they will not be covered by the new grille. You will also have to fabricate a small bracket for the new grille, and this should be in place and painted with the rest of the car.

If you want to see my '79 conversion, you are not too far from me.

Mario
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 04:17 AM
I would add that with the headlight covers you'd be wise to check their fit. The tabs may need to be modified. The buckets do need to be modified to fit from the inside. There is a stainless trim ring that hides the inner edge of the opening. That edge may also need some work. Finally you'll what to epoxy an M6 to the backside of the hole you'll drill for the cover retainer. That will make removal for cleaning a snap.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
Thanks Ed and Mario .... The decision is definitive, I have the car ready for paint.... I just wanted to confirm the install as well, shopping around the prices swing a bit with Reoriginals as very expensive for the OEM rear bumper. I will keep you posted...Ed, you inspired me to do the lens covers as well..
If your getting the Euro bumper kit. Fill in the holes for the tag lights on ether side of the license tag. The euro bumpers have holes in them for the tag lights like the 71/72 U.S. Kammtails.

73/74 even though stainless steel bumpers are different from the euro ones.
Tom Frasca likes this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well as we went along the nightmare unfolds....

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...-nonsense.html

Anyway the metal work is done I got the bumpers from Alfaholics ...question is, and seems to be how to do a proper attachment, splitting the brackets seems to be the way to go attached pictures shows the overlay of new on top of old...any other thoughts? Welding to each side of the bumper box. As opposed to bolting the brackets like reoriginals does anyone have a highres drawing if the brackets made by ABB member who was a guet back a while ago..

Jim we did fill in the Licences plate and side markers as well. The rear bumper/valance fits like a glove. Rich thanks for the heads up on the lense covers. The above link shows a lot of metal replacement...
Attached Images

Tom

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 07-23-2019 at 09:41 AM. Reason: content
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:37 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It looks like the Alfaholics is having you do it the hard way. You will hve to do a lot of cutting to be able to weld the front bracket on. The 2 mounts for the rear go underneath the rear valance panel. So to do that you have to remove the valance.

Or you can get the bracket set from Classic Alfa and they bolt up to the 4 bolts holes that the bumper shocks bolted up to. Many years ago I saw a drawing of the brackets that someone posted here on the BB that you could take to a metal shop and have them made.

https://classicalfa.com/ch060-usa-sp...onversion-kit/

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
It looks like the Alfaholics is having you do it the hard way. You will hve to do a lot of cutting to be able to weld the front bracket on. The 2 mounts for the rear go underneath the rear valance panel. So to do that you have to remove the valance.

Or you can get the bracket set from Classic Alfa and they bolt up to the 4 bolts holes that the bumper shocks bolted up to. Many years ago I saw a drawing of the brackets that someone posted here on the BB that you could take to a metal shop and have them made.

https://classicalfa.com/ch060-usa-sp...onversion-kit/
Just saw these this morning already made up left side fromd Drawings on ABB!
Attached Images

Tom
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:25 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Here's the upper bracket I made for my '76. This doesn't show so no paint. I also needed a small tab to locate the pin at the bottom of the grill but no picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Romagnoli View Post
.... You will also have to fabricate a small bracket for the new grille, and this should be in place and painted with the rest of the car....
Attached Images

Tom Frasca likes this.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What we came up with...
Attached Images

Tom
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
not bad?
Attached Images

Tom
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:32 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Where are the drawings for the brackets on the BB?

I've been looking on and off for them again but can't find them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode