3Likes
  • 1 Post By John533i
  • 1 Post By Tom Frasca
  • 1 Post By Dbaliko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Trailering a Spider

I may have to drive up and trailer home an 89 Spider Quadrafoglio that I'm negotiating to buy. I'm not sure of the age of the tires or belts, so may be best to play it safe and trailer it. Where are the acceptable points to ratchet the car down with straps. Just trying not to do any damage.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:04 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbaliko View Post
I may have to drive up and trailer home an 89 Spider Quadrafoglio that I'm negotiating to buy. I'm not sure of the age of the tires or belts, so may be best to play it safe and trailer it. Where are the acceptable points to ratchet the car down with straps. Just trying not to do any damage.

Doug
When I've done this, I have ratcheted down the tires. That's the default mode on a U-Haul car transporter.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:33 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Flat bed? I tie down the rear axle and front "A" frames.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:34 AM

Garage
yeah, when I got my spider, I rented a trailer from U-haul and it came with front tire nylon ratchets, surprised that it did not have anything in the rear except a small chain. It was fine, no issues.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboy89 View Post
When I've done this, I have ratcheted down the tires. That's the default mode on a U-Haul car transporter.
Perfect. If I do trailer I would use a uhaul car trailer. Thank you
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you everyone!

Doug
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 02:29 PM
Platinum Subscriber

U-haul didn't have an Alfa spider listed in their list of cars vs trailers, so they wouldn't rent to me unless I provided a ton of measurements for them. I just went back later that day and told them that I had a Miata.
ARwrench likes this.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have towed several Alfa spiders using the U-Haul car hauler. Reserve and pick one up near the car if you want easy, or rent a local and haul it both ways if you want cheap. I think I paid $100 to take one from Toronto to Pittsburgh and about the same to go from New York or Charlotte to Pittsburgh. They DO have Alfa Romeos listed. The drill down is for a Graduate or Quadrofiglio(sp) or for older ones, a Spider or a 1600. Go up or down a year or two if you have to. You can figure this out when reserving the trailer on-line. (If they start asking questions at the shop, ask for a manager.) The auto transport trailers are rather heavy by themselves, so you do need a decent sized vehicle to use them. I've used my Dodge 1500 and my wife's BMW X5 to tow these cars with no issues.

Alfa-current: '66 Duetto, '69 Spider
Past: '74 Spider, '76 spider, '80 GTV 6
Other-Current: 9 BMWs, Ram 1500
Other-past: 16 BMWs, MGs, Triumphs, other stuff that doesn't count.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all of the information. After discussing the condition and regular maintenance with the owner and the fellow that looked the car over for me, I decided to fly in and drive it home. It’s only 350 miles, so there “shouldn’t” be any issues driving. We’ll see.

Doug
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:29 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for all of the information. After discussing the condition and regular maintenance with the owner and the fellow that looked the car over for me, I decided to fly in and drive it home. It’s only 350 miles, so there “shouldn’t” be any issues driving. We’ll see.
That's the spirit! Good luck to you. When I bought my Spider, I drove it home 30 miles and gas was pouring out on my driveway from cracked fuel lines when I got home.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
That's the spirit! Good luck to you. When I bought my Spider, I drove it home 30 miles and gas was pouring out on my driveway from cracked fuel lines when I got home.
Gulp!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:11 AM

Garage
Quote:

Doug
Required tools......for a 350 trip.. a AAA gold card... Good Luck!!!!
horsewidower likes this.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I ended up chickening out and trailering the car home. My son and I drove my GMC Sierra up to Joplin, MO on Thursday night, rented a U-Haul car transport trailer on Friday morning, picked up the car and headed home. The trailer worked out great. The car was totally stable on the trailer. The best $150 that I have spent!

Doug
sloboy89 likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 08:26 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Let me guess. Fuel line connected to the tank was dry-rotted and split at the clamp. Happened to me on my '67 and the first drive after I got the car home.

I buy a lot of classics and typically only drive them around the block before putting them on a trailer. People who are selling their cars typically don't drive them much toward the end and when one of these unrestored cars sits for 6-months, things tend to fail. I have done the fly-in/drive-out thing for newer cars (after getting a third-party inspection) in Florida and Texas, but I always schedule a stop at a local mechanic so I can personally make sure the car is roadworthy before driving it any distance.

My wife and I keep talking about buying a couple of classic cars in California and driving them home because for the price of shipping, we could have a pretty awesome trip. But there is a fine line between adventure and nightmare and breaking down in an old car in the western states can quickly become the latter.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 08:31 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
I ended up chickening out and trailering the car home. My son and I drove my GMC Sierra up to Joplin, MO on Thursday night, rented a U-Haul car transport trailer on Friday morning, picked up the car and headed home. The trailer worked out great. The car was totally stable on the trailer. The best $150 that I have spent!

Doug
Congratulations! Absolutely a trouble-free way to do it and the way I prefer to pick up cars that are within driving range. I have the number of my national trucking broker on speed dial for larger cars or cars that are more than about 300 miles away. He just brought me an '88 M5.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode