Hard starting - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Hard starting

I put a new (rebuilt) starter in my s3. And a new battery. It has become difficult to start. I found that if I leave the charger connected, it starts up easily. I know that the bosch system is voltage-drop sensative. My Interstate battery is rated at 750 cold cranking amps. Is this enough?
I'm afraid to take it anywhere because if I shut it off or stall it, you can crank it forever and it won't go

87 spider grad, 06 audi cab, 12 prius, 79 bellanca viking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 07:24 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
750 CCA is plenty.

My first thought is to clean all the connections in the battery to starter circuit. Can't hurt, might help. A corroded connection (or a few slightly corroded connections) can eat up a lot of electrons trying to overcome the resistance. Check especially the ground cable's connection to the floor of the trunk (sort of behind the battery so often overlooked) and the ground strap between the bellhousing & transmission tunnel (underneath the car).

If cleaning all those connections gives no joy then I'd wonder about the ignition switch. As they age the internal contacts arc & burn leading to voltage drop there. But step one is cleaning all the battery cables & connections.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 03:47 AM

Garage
I had the same issue of the starter cranking the engine over but not starting.
"Crank-no start"
It would start up when it wanted, sometimes 10 minutes later.
I cleaned and lubed every possible connector with Dielectric Gel which did not solve the issue
but good for maintenance.

What I found was a weak Aux ECU relay which is mounted behind the seat under the shelf
near the ECU. I confirmed this several times by tapping the relay when the Crank no start
condition was present. It was an intermittent problem which started happening more frequently,
so it was a span of approx 3 weeks before I isolated the cause. It was frustrating because I was reluctant to drive the Alfa anywhere knowing if I shut it off, it most likely will not restart.

I would check if you have spark using a timing light while cranking, and or fuel pumps.

hz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Eric, I wonder if my starter is drawing too much current; I do think that it is a bit noisy!
Huzz, did you get spark when the no-start occurred? I checked my fuel pressure while cranking and it was perfect. Ultimately, what did you do about the relay? Thanks guys

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hello mgsteve. After you have checked all of the electrical in the starting circuit, check voltage drop on the battery during start. Just connect a good volt meter to the battery and watch for a voltage drop during cranking. The voltage cannot drop below 10.5 VDC during cranking, if it does the engine will not start. Normally, voltage will not drop below 11.5 VDC during cranking. On a cold engine start if you find the voltage drop is minimal and the engine still will not start, check the Aux Air Valve on the cam cover. Remove the short hose at the AAV and look into the opening, you should see a large opening into the AAV, if it is not the AAV may be bad. The AAV should be open when cold and closed when engine is hot. The AAV can cause starting and running problems. I've not seen many that didn't need repair. I do repair them.

J & J Racing, LLC
[email protected]

James (Chief) Bridges
J & J Racing, LLC,
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

still won't start

I'm at my wits end....I have good fuel pressure when cranking. Where should I start? It sound like it wants to catch at first, then nothing!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 03:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsteve View Post
I'm at my wits end....I have good fuel pressure when cranking. Where should I start? It sound like it wants to catch at first, then nothing!
Start with the suggestions in Post #2.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Spider and Sport Sedan
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:13 PM

Garage
Wow, This needs to be diagnosed before the cold weather sets in.

Its either fuel or ignition.

#1 Check for ignition spark when cranking with a timing light
#2 Check for Injector pulse with either a NOID light that plugs into the Bosch injector connector, or an LED test light, which will
check both 12 volt supply and ground pulse.
#3 Check fuel pressure
#4 Check air flow sensor and hose to intake

At this point, you need to rule out all that checks ok.
Keep us posted

hz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode