Suggested tires for Spiders - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:10 PM

Yep , I also have a midget with tiny tyres which you can drive round roundabouts on the throttle , it breaks away really progressively , something I can’t do with the Alfa at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:28 AM
Longstone Tyres
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkin View Post
Yep , I also have a midget with tiny tyres which you can drive round roundabouts on the throttle , it breaks away really progressively , something I can’t do with the Alfa at the moment.
Oo, we have just got Pirelli to make an absolutely banging Midget tyre https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/cla...et.html#page=1

The Spridget boys are loving the new 145HR13 Cinturato CA67. I think it also fits early Alfa Sud.
post #63 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:12 AM

dougal gets about, here he is in Italy......
Attached Images

GV27 and dougal like this.

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a Abarth 595 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:26 AM

Garage
Hi there, anyone try these? It's time to replace my Sumitomos

Falken Sincera SN250 A/S

https://www.pepboys.com/falken-since...866?quantity=4

David Griszkauskas

Old Stuff:
1988 Spider Graduate
1980 Honda CX500 (cool..), 1970 Harley Sprint

Aš nesuprantu
post #65 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Those Falken's have a longer treadwear warranty than my 30 year old car has miles on it! They're gonna be rocks.

What size are you looking for?

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #66 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
Hi there, anyone try these? It's time to replace my Sumitomos

Falken Sincera SN250 A/S

https://www.pepboys.com/falken-since...866?quantity=4

I have a set on my 84. They do the job well. They are not great, but will hold you on the road thought out the twisters. They are for sure the right price and will last a long time. I will say this about them, they are ver smooth on the freeway!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken Smith
post #67 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:45 AM
Longstone Tyres
Platinum Subscriber

I fitted some tyres on a car once. the handling was terrible. they looked dreadful. but they were cheap so i am hell bent on convincing myself it was a good idea, and while i'm at it, i will tell everyone else how great they are.

No i didn't really. that of course is a joke.

I spend thousands of pounds on my classic cars, so why would i then go and fit the most important component in the cars handling that is the wrong size and shape?
GV27 likes this.
post #68 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:49 AM
Longstone Tyres
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
dougal gets about, here he is in Italy......
Aha that is not my car. i think it was about 2 years ago that i went

here is a short film
I think i got FTD
post #69 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal View Post
Aha that is not my car. i think it was about 2 years ago that i went

here is a short film
I know its not you car, but you either sold him tyres or at least a sticker!

Great video of yours, you look quite quick, was that a type 35 Bugatti you passed about 2/3 in?

I drove down with the AROC, a group of 46 cars, in our S2 junior Spider, a 'shake down' drive of 3000 miles after rebuilding the gearbox and back axle. We got to visit and drive to the top of the Fiat Lingotto building and visit the Blue team Alfa Romeo collection. But it has to be said the Silver Flag event did it for me. We sat ourselves at that bar, with the umbrellas, at Lugagnano, see the cars, beer and lunch! The atmosphere down at the pits area was something every petrol head (who loves Italian cars) should have on their bucket list. I would like to engineer next years Italian trip to include the Silver Flag again.
dougal likes this.

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a Abarth 595 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.
post #70 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:05 AM
Longstone Tyres
Platinum Subscriber

If you follow this link https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/cla...es-poster.html you can order a free poster.

There is a comments section at the bottom if you put in there that you would like an "11 toe sticker"

(there is not a prize for anyone who works out why it is called the "11 toe sticker")

I passed all sorts of cars. i was going well over 100mph I have had 110mph out of it on the back straight at Goodwood, so i dread to think how fast i was going on that really long straight. It isn't actually a competitive event so there was only one or 2 other pre war cars that were actually going fast, and i think they were also Frazer Nash. we drove it like a proper hill climb.

I drove down in my van with a trailer on the back with a friends Frazer Nash on the trailer and mine inside the Merc Sprinter. The Van broke down a bit, just after we set off, and we were on limp mode at 50 mph with no turbo. So we left our Van in Milan at Mercedes, and drove the last leg very fast in our cars on the Italian Motorways. It turns out regardless of how fast you are going and regardless of weather the car has a passenger in it with free hands you will get filmed when you overtake cars in a Vintage car on an Italian motorway.

I think i will go again some time, but not every year.

out of interest this weekend is Vintage racing at Cadwell park if you are looking for a bit of old car fun.

This https://www.circuitdesremparts.com/en/ is one of my favorite events on the Continent

Last edited by dougal; 07-25-2019 at 02:09 AM.
post #71 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougal View Post
I passed all sorts of cars. i was going well over 100mph I have had 110mph out of it on the back straight at Goodwood, so i dread to think how fast i was going on that really long straight.

At 110+ in Piglet you must feel like you're really going somewhere fast!
dougal likes this.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 07-25-2019 at 06:30 AM.
post #72 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:48 AM

I have never yet replace a set of tires because they wore out. It has always been because they got too old, so looking for long treadwear tires is a waste of time.
Of course I live in Canada and only have about 5 months of driving time starting after the first big rain fall in the spring that washes the salt off the road until the week before my best guess of when the first over-night freeze will take place and liquid salt is sprayed on the road.
Same with windshield wipers. The always die from sun damage, not use.
On the other hand, with impending retirement and my kids no longer living at home, my weekend warrior may get a lot more use
post #73 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Boydell View Post
On the other hand, with impending retirement and my kids no longer living at home, my weekend warrior may get a lot more use
Yeah but good tires makes it more fun! I put on a set of Cinturato CN36s from Longstone this spring and must say they are terrific! I think the tires I had on there were a 400 tread wear rating (the Falkens mentioned above are like 750 - bigger number tends to mean longer wear and less grip). Not sure what the Cinturatos are but they are MUCH grippier than my old tires. As advertised the rear end breakaway is totally progressive - though I sometimes miss the lurid tailslides I would get with the old tires! They've also made the steering MUCH lighter at parking speeds. They're really fantastic. I also think at this point they're just about the only performance tire available in anything close to the stock 14" size without going to a full auto-x tire. Dougal's right AGAIN!
dougal likes this.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #74 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
Yeah but good tires makes it more fun! I put on a set of Cinturato CN36s from Longstone this spring and must say they are terrific! I think the tires I had on there were a 400 tread wear rating (the Falkens mentioned above are like 750 - bigger number tends to mean longer wear and less grip). Not sure what the Cinturatos are but they are MUCH grippier than my old tires. As advertised the rear end breakaway is totally progressive - though I sometimes miss the lurid tailslides I would get with the old tires! They've also made the steering MUCH lighter at parking speeds. They're really fantastic. I also think at this point they're just about the only performance tire available in anything close to the stock 14" size without going to a full auto-x tire. Dougal's right AGAIN!
Exactly, that is why I never worried about tread life, stick is better.
post #75 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
Those Falken's have a longer treadwear warranty than my 30 year old car has miles on it! They're gonna be rocks.

What size are you looking for?
OEM size. My Sumitomo's were great but they're starting to dry rot.

David Griszkauskas

Old Stuff:
1988 Spider Graduate
1980 Honda CX500 (cool..), 1970 Harley Sprint

Aš nesuprantu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode