Suggested tires for Spiders - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:36 AM

Hi

It is easy to note that the Michelin XAS and the Pirelli Cinturato win the appearance competition, that is easy. they are both buil, with genuine period tread patterns.

However it is the drive of the car that makes the real case for buying period tyre carcasses that are built to be fitted to a classic car chassis. Yep the Dunlop Sport Classic and the Vredestein Sprint Classic are not bad tyres but they won't handle as nicely on your classic Alfa as a genuine period tyre, and they aren't genuine classic tyres and they don't look right. nobody is really going to look at either of those tyres and say they look classic, because they do not have a classic tread pattern and it has the word "Classic" written on the side wall. For me they would have to be loads cheaper to consider them, but even then i wouldn't.

However a tyre such as Vredestein Sportrac will keep your rims off the road, but they will never drive as well on an Alfa Spider as the Cinturato or XAS. they are built for another kind of car altogether . I do not think you should choose your tyres just based on price, which is the only reason to buy them. no doubt they won't handle as well as a Cinturato or XAS does on a '60s, '70s chassis design. No doubt they look totally wrong. And wouldn't people be happy to spend more money on buying a premium brand tyre such as Pirelli and Michelin. I actually don't think the Cinturato's are expensive.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/cla...s4.html#page=1

I think there are loads of Alfa in the UK fitting the Cinturato 185/70VR14 CN36. we can't have sold them all to MGB owners. They pretty much only fit Alfa or MGB. If you look around Alfa BB forums you will find lots of people who have fitted them, and all i ever here is praise. Has anyone fitted the Cinturato and not liked them?

I think the perception is that modern tyres are better because of the developments over the years
Carcass designs only benefit you if you put that tyre on a modern car chassis.
Modern compounds - Well these classic tyres are using modern compound, and they are even better, because they are Pirelli and Michelin compounds
Tread design - yep fair to say modern tread designs are better at being quieter, and yes they do move water better, but you are only really going to aquaplane if you start fitting over sized tyres.
The only 2 things that makes a modern tyre attractive on a classic Alfa
1/ if you have completely modified the car changing caster, Camber, Springs and Dampers, ie unpleasant ride and handling on the road but loads of grip on the track
2/ because they are cheap.
Fiorentino likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Dougal, arnt the retro tyres you speak of only the tread design, isnt the carcass and compound the same as a modern tyre? If so, how can the feel be that much different? Sure its not just a placebo effect?

Just twigged who you are! Should you not have declared an interest!?

PS, they are a great looking tyre indeed. When my bank account recovers from all the other restoration work, and I when I need new tyres I'll give you a shout, surely you offer 'special' deals dont you?

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a Abarth 595 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.

Last edited by Top Down; 05-07-2019 at 01:01 PM.
post #48 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Don’t overthink this! Your baby needs new shoes. All tires cost money. You got an old Alfa that’s almost as fast as a Honda Civic and looks incomparably more stylish? Buy it the nicest “shoes” you can afford. Sure is great that original look ‘60s tires are still available! They might be the best handling as well. If it turns out you don’t think so, get a different tire next time.

Jonathan-
'73 GT Junior1600-gone now.
'69 Giulia 1300ti 2 liter-the honeymoon is ON.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:00 PM

Has anyone fitted the Michelin Energy tyres 185 70 14. Alfaholics’s fit them on the road cars they do for there customers and say they’re very good.
post #50 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:10 PM

I think that's what came on my Chevy electric car.

Jonathan-
'73 GT Junior1600-gone now.
'69 Giulia 1300ti 2 liter-the honeymoon is ON.
post #51 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
Dougal, arnt the retro tyres you speak of only the tread design, isnt the carcass and compound the same as a modern tyre? If so, how can the feel be that much different? Sure its not just a placebo effect?
Absolutely not.

I'm quite proud of my handling picture below, showing how the rounded tyre carcass from the period is designed to cope with a car that doesn't have self leveling suspension, adverse camber, stiffer springs etc that a modern car has.

the difference is when you corner hard in your little lightweight car you start to drift progressively. However with a modern tyre on an old car you climb onto the shoulder of the tyre lifting the inside edge and loose grip suddenly.

Anyway what else are we comparing. surely we consider Pirelli to be one of the worlds best tyre manufacturers. and when buying a tyre for any car we would be happy to pay a bit more for a Pirelli because we believe we have got the best compounds, design and build quality. well you have all that, and the price is good. isn't it?

If i wanted a 185/70R14 tyre for a modern car, i would probably fit that Michelin. And Alfaholics often do all sorts very clever modifications to their cars that make their chassis more like a modern car. that is not a criticism; what they do is very clever. But i still think they would handle better on a CN36 even with their modifications, but road holding wise their modifications would help the car take advantage of the developments in tyre design that have happened to make tyres more suited to modern cars.

Quote:
Just twigged who you are! Should you not have declared an interest!?
I think if you look at my signature it says "Longstone Tyres" on it.

Quote:
PS, they are a great looking tyre indeed. When my bank account recovers from all the other restoration work, and I when I need new tyres I'll give you a shout, surely you offer 'special' deals dont you?
All our deals are special sir.

Honestly, nobody complains about these tyres. we only get good feed back. I put my money where my mouth is i run Cinturato on my Lotus Elite (and Borrani wheels)
Attached Images

post #52 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcma100 View Post
Has anyone fitted the Michelin Energy tyres 185 70 14. Alfaholics’s fit them on the road cars they do for there customers and say they’re very good.
I had them on a Fulvia and they were very good.
post #53 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:18 AM

Well Dougal, it cant be said you are not committed. The drawings are works of art and illustrate what you say. I did eventually see the small print in the side bar. Were you running a car at teh Goodwood Members meet in April?

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a Abarth 595 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.
post #54 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:52 AM

I think that was at a VSCC meeting. If you are not doing anything on the 18th of May there are worse things to do than go to Oulton Park https://www.vscc.co.uk/events/event/...-2-oulton-park It will be all the fun of a normal VSCC race meeting which are always brilliant. However there will be an extra excitement of a full grid for the Vintage Racing Cars Race, which should be epic!

We will be there doing tyre fitting. If you want anything fitting there let us know.

Hopefully I will be racing, but that just depends if my car still works as i am going to the Vintage revival at the banked circuit of Montlhery this weekend which is epic. There are some photos of my car at Montlhery below.

I did race at the Goodwood Members Meeting in 2018. they invited a grid of Vintage Specials. it was a great race, but sadly freezing so i think all the spectators were skulking inside hiding from the snow. I think i came 4th or 5th, something like that
Attached Images

post #55 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Dougal, sadly I wont be able to get to Oulton as I have other commitments. My friend is down near Montlhery this weekend with the Lotus club (he sold his Lotus in favour of a GTV last year), they are hopping to get a few hours at the circuit. Something thats on my bucket list.

post #56 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Dougal, sadly I wont be able to get to Oulton as I have other commitments. My friend is down near Montlhery this weekend with the Lotus club (he sold his Lotus in favour of a GTV last year), they are hopping to get a few hours at the circuit. Something thats on my bucket list.
Funnily enough, I'm going to sell my yellow Elite, and hope to buy a Giulietta Spider. Anyone interested call Longstone.

It is 1962, with a ZF box and twin webbers. fitted with Borrani painted wheels with a polished outer flange and Cinturato. it was assembled by Lotus, (not sold in kit form)then shipped straight to Singapore as the first owner was the Sultan of Jahore. and it has been fully restored with a replacement sledge thingy (that the engine sits on). and to drive; it is epic. I mean epic. not just a little bit, truly fantastic handling.

I'm only selling it because i have bought one to race and i want to swank down the pub in an open top car, and a Giulietta Spider is nearly as pretty as an Elite
Attached Images

post #57 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Give Paul Matty a call, he'll give you something for it ;-)

post #58 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:18 AM

Thats the plan
post #59 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:43 AM

I think I agree with Dougal , My spider has vredesteins on and they stick then give all of a sudden , I really would like to change them to something more progressive.
post #60 of 83 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkin View Post
I think I agree with Dougal , My spider has vredesteins on and they stick then give all of a sudden , I really would like to change them to something more progressive.
And i think that is exactly what you don't want with a light weight rear wheel drive classic car. The whole fun is the progressive handling.

That is not completely correct; an Alfa Spider looks gorgeous too. lets not forget that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode