Suggested tires for Spiders - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:35 AM

Pirelli CN36 185/70 x 14

I just installed these on my '73 Spider.. with stock suspension and 30 psi all around it rides fine. Lucas ships them out of California. They don't have any other regional warehouses. I had them shipped directly to my local tire store and they installed them. Tires ( $616) freight ( $99) and installation ( $131) was $846. They are very acceptable and the ride as expected after replacing the 20+ year old "stones" the car had and Centerline spring and gas shock package to stock new springs and stock shocks. I run this size on my Super and would not go with anything more than the 70 aspect ratio as this has the right look and feel with hardly any compromise in handling to 155's or 165's. Saving 50 bucks a tire for budget purposes to me is like shopping for gas to save 15 cents a gallon. Over 10 years of life really makes it sort of silly to me.
dougal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:09 AM

I know that an early '70's Alfa owner's manual recommends 185/70-14 as the alternate, slightly larger optional size for the car. So, it's either that or the 165s that was their "base" tire size.
Either Pirelli looks great, handles well and costs a bit more than just about anything else. I bought my CN36s from Longstone. A US mailman delivered them to my door in a week's time, all for one price as quoted on their website. I really don't see a big price advantage for the less correct looking Vredesteins nor do I like the appearance of wrong sized modern tires from various makers.
PS, My Alfa is happy with its tire pressure set at 24 and 26, again, per the owner's manual.
dougal likes this.

Jonathan-
'73 GT Junior1600-gone now.
'69 Giulia 1300ti 2 liter-the honeymoon is ON.
post #33 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:15 PM

Thanks all for the replies, it seems the Pirelli’s are probably the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:00 PM

Garage
Pirelli CN36s in 185/14. Love them a lot.

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
post #35 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:18 PM

Great, thanks!
post #36 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcma100 View Post
Great, thanks!
They will cost you about £360 more for a set than Vredesteins. I dont know anyone in the UK using the CN36's. I mean, were not as well off as our US friends.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m4b0s388p..._Noise%3A_70dB

185/70 gives you the closest rolling radius to the original tyre.

Or the CN36's

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/185...rato-cn36.html

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a Abarth 595 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.

Last edited by Top Down; 05-02-2019 at 11:57 PM.
post #37 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:53 PM

Thanks Yes I looked at them too. What are you using and how do they feel / handle please. While cost is a consideration, this car has become soooooo expensive ( floors, re-paint, engine axle gearbox rebuilds the list goes on and on! ) I really just want to get the best from it that I can.
post #38 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcma100 View Post
Thanks Yes I looked at them too. What are you using and how do they feel / handle please. While cost is a consideration, this car has become soooooo expensive ( floors, re-paint, engine axle gearbox rebuilds the list goes on and on! ) I really just want to get the best from it that I can.
I've been down the same route with costs! But its not as expensive as the boat I used to own!!

The tyre feel good, I switched to them as the secretary of our AROC branch has them on his Spider. My suspension set up is the same as yours, but standard front roll bar. Handling is good, road noise is quietish, there is nothing to not like. The Vredesteins are Giugiaro design so have an Italian link.

Daily drive is a Giulia 2.0 MA, wife drives a 939 Spider in the summer and a Abarth 595 in the winter. For special sunny days we have a S2 Spider Junior in the garage.
post #39 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
- I don't know anyone in the UK using the CN36's ...
I fitted them to my '69 Spider:

- just need to find time to lower the suspension slightly ...

dougal and Jack Straw like this.

Andy
'59 Giulietta Sprint & '69 1750 Spider Veloce
post #40 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:10 AM

Top Down, Thanks for the info much appreciated, Boats ahh yes aircraft too! I suppose when you put it all into context an ageing Alfa isn’t so costly. Lightweight-911 nice looking car! Does anyone know of a really good place to get the tracking/ alignment set up properly. I’ve replaced all the suspension and bushes etc so it’s probably way out and will need sorting out before the tyres. I live in Cirencester so southern uk. Thanks
post #41 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
They will cost you about £360 more for a set than Vredesteins. I dont know anyone in the UK using the CN36's. I mean, were not as well off as our US friends.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m4b0s388p..._Noise%3A_70dB

185/70 gives you the closest rolling radius to the original tyre.

Or the CN36's

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/185...rato-cn36.html
That link you have to Camstill for Vredestein is not the Vred. Sprint Classic that is meant as a replacement classic profile tire for vintage cars in size 165x14. I can't speak to the quality of the tire you linked to, but it has a modern profile and will not look any different than any other modern tire on your car, I believe.
Check out the Longstone site for sizes 165x14 and 185/70x14. They illustrate the original brands and classic type alternatives such as Vred. They even have Avon if you want to really spend some money and stay all English. But their price for a set of 4 CN36s is right similar to 4 Vred Classics.
I shop hard for tires by price on my modern vehicles, but not when it comes to my 50 year old Alfa, which is as much for looks as it is for getting from point A to point B, let's face it. My Pirellis, when it comes time to replace them, will probably need replacing due to age, not because I've worn the tread off of them.

Jonathan-
'73 GT Junior1600-gone now.
'69 Giulia 1300ti 2 liter-the honeymoon is ON.
post #42 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 AM
Gold Subscriber

I love the idea of updated classic tires for our cars but more than that I love GRIP. I'll stick with my 205/50 Conti Extremes.

Bill

1991 S4 Spider "Gabriela", 2017 VW Golf R, 2018 VW GTI,

Previous obsessions; 2006 Mustang GT, 2006 BMW Z4M, 5 other Bimmers, Capri V6, Renault 5, Lotus Cortina, Sunbeam Alpine, Ducati Diana Mk 3, Norton Commando
post #43 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:21 AM

I'll throw another contender into the ring. No personal experience, but in this German test, the Dunlop Sport Classic bested the Pirelli CN36. Something to think about if you find the Pirellis too pricey;

https://translate.google.com/transla...ml&prev=search

If you click on the gallery link, it says a bit about each tire.
post #44 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:28 AM

Lightweight 911, good to meet you, now I know someone in the UK using CN36's!

post #45 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorentino View Post
That link you have to Camstill for Vredestein is not the Vred. Sprint Classic that is meant as a replacement classic profile tire for vintage cars in size 165x14. I can't speak to the quality of the tire you linked to, but it has a modern profile and will not look any different than any other modern tire on your car, I believe.
Check out the Longstone site for sizes 165x14 and 185/70x14. They illustrate the original brands and classic type alternatives such as Vred. They even have Avon if you want to really spend some money and stay all English. But their price for a set of 4 CN36s is right similar to 4 Vred Classics.
I shop hard for tires by price on my modern vehicles, but not when it comes to my 50 year old Alfa, which is as much for looks as it is for getting from point A to point B, let's face it. My Pirellis, when it comes time to replace them, will probably need replacing due to age, not because I've worn the tread off of them.
I dont dispute that the classic tyres have the look, but I prefer to put my money into what really matters on the car, I rebuilt the gearbox using all original bearings, I had to scour the world to get the correct original stepped shoulder ones, at a price. I just rebuilt the back axle, again no short cuts with budget bearings. Next I need a new hood (you need a good hood in the UK!). all these things are more important than tyres that have the 'look'. The Vredestein Sportrac tyres are well respected and I only used them after speaking to those who have used them for some time. I agree the Vred Classics are not a lot cheaper than the CN36's etc and if I was interested in showing my car in competition, then it would be a must, I mean, in a show it doesnt matter if the gearbox needs overhauling, so long as the car looks good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode