Suggested tires for Spiders - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
If you are looking more at "sport" than touring, I would recommend the Bridgestone RE-71R in 205/50/15 on a 7inch wide wheel. I've heard autocrossers refer to them as "Jesus tires." Grip on warm dry pavement is akin to a full race tire from when our spiders were new.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like they make them for a 14" wheel, which my car has and I intend to keep for the time being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShillerBar View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't look like they make them for a 14" wheel, which my car has and I intend to keep for the time being.
In 14, your choices are basically economy car tires, full race tires, or historic tires (like the ones Dougal sells). Tire makers have mostly abandoned the size because only super-economy cars like the Mitsubishi Mirage still come with wheels that small. Frankly, that's becoming the case with 15s too, but the Miata world tends to keep it alive for high performance summer tires.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo

Last edited by nealric; 08-01-2018 at 06:49 AM.
post #18 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
In 14, your choices are basically economy car tires, full race tires, or historic tires (like the ones Dougal sells). Tire makers have mostly abandoned the size because only super-economy cars like the Mitsubishi Mirage still come with wheels that small. Frankly, that's becoming the case with 15s too, but the Miata world tends to keep it alive for high performance summer tires.
This is what I'm learning.

I like the historic tires best so far but I'm not sure this car deserves them yet because the next thing on my list is a rear suspension rebuild kit. All the bushings on this car is looking pretty bad and there doesn't seem to be much point in putting good tires on a car with a wiggly suspension. In the mean time the tires on this recently resurrected car are looking pretty bad from sitting for several years and I have to do something soon.

And now I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't look for some 15" wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 03:57 PM

Another performance type available in 195/60r14.

https://www.vulcantire.com/tire_deta...615k_t.htm_626

[RIGHT] [I] MEMBRO LATO OSCURO[/I][/RIGHT]

69 850 Spider[I] [COLOR="Silver"](A fond college days' memory)[/COLOR][/I]
81 Spider Veloce
Downstate Illinois SNO Director
post #20 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 04:33 PM

Garage
I didn’t know they made the Falkens in 14. That’s a good option. Had a set on my spider for a while.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #21 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:03 PM

I plan to be these on my 14 inch steelies.... Michelin DEFENDER T+H - SIZE: 185/70R14

both sams club and costco can order them ....think sams club has 60 dollars off and very discounted mounting on 8/4/18 only

I use my only for long drives down pacific coast highway and once in a while windy mountain road..nothing aggresive

1969 spider
post #22 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
This is what I'm learning.

I like the historic tires best so far but I'm not sure this car deserves them yet because the next thing on my list is a rear suspension rebuild kit. All the bushings on this car is looking pretty bad and there doesn't seem to be much point in putting good tires on a car with a wiggly suspension. In the mean time the tires on this recently resurrected car are looking pretty bad from sitting for several years and I have to do something soon.

And now I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't look for some 15" wheels.
It is worth pointing out that a period tyre would work better with wobbly suspension. Fitting the correct tyre is more likely to stop your suspension becoming wobbly in the first place. fitting correct tyres is kinder to the car, the suspension and steering does not work as hard with correct period carcass design.

Why would you fit a 195/60R14 Falken when you can have the correct Pirelli it is only price and it will wear the components of the car faster. and it is the wrong diameter.

As fitting 15" wheels will give a harsher ride for you and the car. they will not absorb as much vibration. thereby making the car work harder.

Modification on modification, so a few quid can be saved on tyres that will not handle as nicely as the correct thing made by 2 of the worlds best tyre manufacturers. it just doesn't add up.

How was that BMX?
post #23 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:37 AM

I have just gone from 185 70 14 to the original size 165s. I had some Kumho 185 s on it, and before that some Michelin XAS. I expected lighter steering on the 165s. What I got was much more feel through the steering, improved ride, it just feels altogether much better on them. So I’m voting 165s. There is a choice, you don’t have to buy the classic tyres, at least in the UK there are modestly priced 165 80 14.

Jonathan
post #24 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:27 PM

Garage
We don't have "seasons" here in Florida -- it's just hot -- but I recently put some Michelin 185/70/14 on courtesy of Costco. $100 per tire, then got $70 off and free install.

"Allora" -- 1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce
post #25 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamm View Post
Another performance type available in 195/60r14.

https://www.vulcantire.com/tire_deta...615k_t.htm_626
Unfortunately that's not an actual option right now. Lower on the page it says, "This item is sold out and we currently are not accepting backorders for this item."
post #26 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately that's not an actual option right now. Lower on the page it says, "This item is sold out and we currently are not accepting backorders for this item."

Sorry!! I was thinking of them as my new tires when the time comes.

[RIGHT] [I] MEMBRO LATO OSCURO[/I][/RIGHT]

69 850 Spider[I] [COLOR="Silver"](A fond college days' memory)[/COLOR][/I]
81 Spider Veloce
Downstate Illinois SNO Director
post #27 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
We don't have "seasons" here in Florida -- it's just hot -- but I recently put some Michelin 185/70/14 on courtesy of Costco. $100 per tire, then got $70 off and free install.

how do you like them

1969 spider
post #28 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:23 PM

believe the michelin is a H rated tire:

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/new...ets-an-upgrade

just bought them for about 385 here in calif....including mounting and road hazard, rotations...although i will prob rotate the tires myself

i will report back how they ride.....special ordered them....will be mounted within wk

1969 spider

Last edited by alfaman; 08-04-2018 at 09:01 AM.
post #29 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:53 AM

Has anyone put the Pirelli’s or any of the other classic tyres on. I have a 74 S2 Spider with 14 x 6 Ronal Kleetblatt wheels with rebuilt suspension, ie, new bushes ( not poly except on T bar to rear axle / diff ) otherwise upgraded stiffer rubber as recommended from CA. Also uprated springs and red Koni Classics and stiffer front anti roll bar at the front and the rear anti roll bar removed. I think it needs good tyres ( it has Coopers on that were cheap just to get it going after 20 + years in storage) but I’m now truly lost on this one. Any help and personal experience will be very greatly appreciated.
post #30 of 83 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I have just gone from 185 70 14 to the original size 165s. I had some Kumho 185 s on it, and before that some Michelin XAS. I expected lighter steering on the 165s. What I got was much more feel through the steering, improved ride, it just feels altogether much better on them. So Iím voting 165s. There is a choice, you donít have to buy the classic tyres, at least in the UK there are modestly priced 165 80 14.

Jonathan

Generally people that go back to the right size feel very happy about it.

you don't have to goo classic tyres to feel some of the benefit over an over sized tyre but the XAS or The Cinturato will give you the best effects. And i don't actually think these are expensive https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/cla...rato-ca67.html remeber this is a Pirelli, so you are obviously going to pay more than say, a Khumo or Barum for instance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode