Spider hardtop complete rubber seal set - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:11 PM

@CLeopold.
Welcome to the elusive seal-seakers! Maybe someone should start a section solely dedicated to this "now" mythical and legendary item. Anyway, on a more serious note, the little rubber bits that are found at the bottom ends of the seal. As far as I know, these are part of the seal assembly (though someone else may be more knowledgeable than myself). The only parts that I have seen available for this "white elephant" of an item are the front top rubber and also the gasket for same. Not sure if I might have seen a rear rubber somewhere, as i've lost track of the sites i've trolled through over the past 6 yrs. Am also unsure if the hooks are available (have seen them occasionally second-hand). Same applies to the rear body retaining hooks for the top. As to the little covers. Never seen these advertised, but if you're willing to spend an hour or so in your shed (or wherever), I can't see these as being too difficult to knock up, as they are only 2 small semi-rectangular pieces which you cut out of some thin plywood or hardboard and cover them with vinyl (and a thin bit of sponge if you want them looking nicer). The only fiddly bit would be the four connecting bits on the back, though you should be able to figure a way of attaching something there to do the job (maybe get some of that putty mouldable glue -sugru? or adapt some type of metal clip and glue to the back)). If it helps, i'll be more than happy to send you pics of them and measurements in order that you can get an idea of the pattern. Good luck. Vin
CLeopold likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 05:31 PM

Garage
I would be interested in a set of seals for my S4 hardtop as well.
post #48 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 05:40 PM

Hi Tony, welcome to our desperate little gang. You need to contact Mozzafiato (at the beginning of the thread), who is the hero trying to sort out production of these sneaky and very rare seals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 05:49 PM

Garage
Thanks, still getting the hang of this site. Belonged to the Speedster Owners group for many years. Found great advice and friends. Thanks for the direction
post #50 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 PM

Hey, thanks a lot Vin, I actually have the covers for the hooks, but they are falling apart, the little plastic tabs that hold them in place are broken. Will check into the moldable glue, seem to recall there is a silly-putty like glue that can be pried off when needed.

We should form a group society to search for all these gaskets!
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 09:16 PM

Garage
I want in on this as well when a set comes on the market. Find out who made the tops and you can find out the manufacturer of the sets. Who knows, maybe the molds are languishing in the back of some shop.

What I think will have to happen is someone will have to donate a top to have something to replicate from. A company, whoever is chosen, can then use the rubbers to make an extrusion mold with a minimum run of feet/meters. All that would be needed is about 6 inches to get a profile. The mold cost is expensive to have cast. The rubber isn't that expensive once the machine is turned on.
The caveat is that the rubber extrusion has to be of a decent durometer so that we are not replacing sets every year. If the rubber is to soft it won't seal properly and take a set. If you notice the rubber on the tops is fairly hard, but resilient so that it seals do not take a set very easily.
When a few sets are sold to recover the mold costs the costs can come down. I am sure there is enough demand to sell a lot of sets.

As to the cheap plastic covers, you can find someone to make a mold and cast some new ones. Again the mold will not be cheap. At that point, you can make some improvements over the old design that will allow them to hold up longer. Possibly a set of rubbers and new lock covers could be sold as a set because everyone will need them.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com

Last edited by velocedoc; 11-14-2018 at 09:23 PM.
post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 02:32 AM

the rubber bits at the bottom are separate. There is a left and a right and also two different types according to which S4 hardtop you have (hardtop seals were updated at some point according to parts catalogue: either a C12 or a D12...(maybe Papajam knows when this adaption came in?)

so, another bit of unobtanium

this is one on german ebay (poor photo, but you get the idea)
complicated looking thing
Attached Images

CLeopold and vinnie57 like this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:13 AM

Thanks, I’ll check it out... maybe I”lljustgo tomy hardware store and buy some moldable insulation!
post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

good day fellow seal seekers,

i will be attending a production meeting regarding these seals, what a task these have become. if it wasnt for the encouragement of a lot of you in this forum we probably would have given up a few weeks ago and gone topless with our spiders.

will keep you all abreast of any revelatory information around these seals, they are still in the works and coincidentally the 2 "joints" that are being discussed above have given us the most trouble and expense. but we will prevail.

patience!
CLeopold, Max Pershyn and vinnie57 like this.
post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:32 PM

@spiderserie4;
thanks for that correction. As mine are long gone, I didn't even know what they looked like. Could you possibly advise what they're advertised as, or even a link to the said item on ebay, as I might just get these to see if they help with the water ingress problem on the hard-top.
Thanks a lot.
post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:36 PM

@spiderserie4;
thanks for that correction. As mine are long gone, I didn't even know what they looked like. Could you possibly advise what they're advertised as, or even a link to the said item on ebay, as I might just get these to see if they help with the water ingress problem on the hard-top.
Thanks a lot.
post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOZZAFIATO View Post
good day fellow seal seekers,

i will be attending a production meeting regarding these seals, what a task these have become. if it wasnt for the encouragement of a lot of you in this forum we probably would have given up a few weeks ago and gone topless with our spiders.

will keep you all abreast of any revelatory information around these seals, they are still in the works and coincidentally the 2 "joints" that are being discussed above have given us the most trouble and expense. but we will prevail.

patience!
Thanks for your efforts on this!

Doug
CLeopold likes this.

Doug
1989 Spider Quadrifoglio S3 (Black)
post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:30 PM

Garage
Are you considering Metro Molded Rubber? They have been in the restoration business for a very long time for car collectors and specialize in making "unobtainium" rubber for just about anything.
CLeopold likes this.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie57 View Post
@spiderserie4;
Thanks a lot.
Hi Vinnie,
there is only the one on german ebay, a right side
Ebay # 192111121232
But it is way too expensive in my mind, unless you were going to take a mold and reproduce it, then NOS is what you need!
You could keep a search out for the part nos, I suppose, that's how I find most of this stuff!

what part of Ireland you in btw, Eire or N.I?
(Dublin myself!)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf alfa spider parts catalogue 210.pdf (83.1 KB, 20 views)
CLeopold likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 06:28 AM

@spiderserie4; Thanks for that. I did look on German ebay last night, and after trolling through 20 pages of listings, eventually gave up. I'll chase up that item number just to satisfy my curiosity. BTW, am in South (republic).
Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode