73 Spider "Parts Car" - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

73 Spider "Parts Car"

I Purchased A 73 Spider "parts car" For Misc. Parts Needed For My 74 Spider "Too Perfect RestoMod" Restoration, The Problem Is: The Car Is Complete, Has Very Little Rust (it's a SOCAL car), And Is Just Too Good To Break Up. So I've Instead Decided To Get The Car Running (the motor turns over!) And Just Fix Or Add Parts As Needed And DRIVE It! I Was Able To Just Squeeze The Car Into The Garage (in front of my JrZ). As Much As I've Always Disliked SPICA I'll Get My Old Book Out And Work On It. I've Already Removed The Bumpers (to fit into the garage) In The Photos. -John
Attached Images

Susan and Shakey like this.

Last edited by Delllta; 07-15-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 05:47 PM

In the top photo, it looks like it's smiling...just happy to have a new home.
Susan likes this.

-Kevin
1988 Spider Veloce (with lots of 3D printed parts)
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:28 PM

Keep us posted!

1966 Giulia Sprint $500 junk yard find. I probably overpaid...
1971 1750 Spider basket case , 1972 GTV 2.0 L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:06 PM

Looks pretty decent. Spica gets a bad rap IMO.
Capp and Susan like this.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

I Started Working On This Car. I'm Not The Best On Constant Updates But I'll Do My Best. I Worked At An Alfa Dealer When This Car Was New And Always Disliked SPICA; A True Rube Goldberg Machine!, I Went On To Become A Mechanical Engineer So I Now Look At SPICA As A Puzzle To Solve, The Car Was Last Registered In 2010, New Tires (from receipt) Were Also Put On In 2010 (they still look new - having wheels powder-coated, will use these tires). Started With A General Cleaning And Assessment, I Pulled The Radiator To Access The Crank Pulley; The Motor Turns Over, Changed The Engine Oil; Oil In Car Didn't Look Bad, Changed The SPICA Pump Oil Filter; Didn't Look Bad, Changed The Trans Oil; New Oil Came Out!, Drained The Fuel Tank; About Two Gallons Of Relatively Clean (no rust) Gas Came Out, Changed The Fuel Filters, All Of The Fuel Lines Are Hard & Brittle (you can bend and break them); Could This Be From Modern Fuel?, Next Up A Compression Test; Car Is Missing Ignition Switch - On Order, Plugs In Car Were All Carboned Up (running rich); Will Have To Address The SPICA Adjustments; Could The TA Be Bad?, Many Many Parts On Their Way.

-John
Attached Images

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delllta View Post
I Started Working On This Car. I'm Not The Best On Constant Updates But I'll Do My Best. I Worked At An Alfa Dealer When This Car Was New And Always Disliked SPICA; A True Rube Goldberg Machine!, I Went On To Become A Mechanical Engineer So I Now Look At SPICA As A Puzzle To Solve, The Car Was Last Registered In 2010, New Tires (from receipt) Were Also Put On In 2010 (they still look new - having wheels powder-coated, will use these tires). Started With A General Cleaning And Assessment, I Pulled The Radiator To Access The Crank Pulley; The Motor Turns Over, Changed The Engine Oil; Oil In Car Didn't Look Bad, Changed The SPICA Pump Oil Filter; Didn't Look Bad, Changed The Trans Oil; New Oil Came Out!, Drained The Fuel Tank; About Two Gallons Of Relatively Clean (no rust) Gas Came Out, Changed The Fuel Filters, All Of The Fuel Lines Are Hard & Brittle (you can bend and break them); Could This Be From Modern Fuel?, Next Up A Compression Test; Car Is Missing Ignition Switch - On Order, Plugs In Car Were All Carboned Up (running rich); Will Have To Address The SPICA Adjustments; Could The TA Be Bad?, Many Many Parts On Their Way.

-John
The fact that the Spica pump oil filter didn't look bad speaks volumes. Sounds as if the PO did their maintenance on a regular basis and maybe there's hope that you're in decent shape for the future.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:36 PM

Try to smell oil in SPica pump or in crankcase. If it smells like gas — not great news. If it doesn’t— definitely good news!

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Encouraging update but maybe not use all CAPS next time?

Press on and keep us posted.

1966 Giulia Sprint $500 junk yard find. I probably overpaid...
1971 1750 Spider basket case , 1972 GTV 2.0 L
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Update;

Installed ignition switch; headlamps & fuel pump work, motor turns over from starter (nothing else). The wiring in a 73 is much simpler then in a 74 (Federal mandated interlocks, etc. I guess)

Did a compression check: 132, 135, 139, 133. Lower then I would like but good enough to keep going forward (not removing the head).

Adjusted cam timing (was off). While I was doing this I noticed the tensioner bolt was all the way in and my suspicion was correct; no wedge and the bolt was directly contacting the tensioner (added wedge).

Checked valve clearances: should be 019/021 (in/exh); ranged from 018 - 020 intake & 020 - 022 exhaust (left alone for now). I have a set of Euro 10548 cams & a line on a later Motronic exhaust cam (Richard Jemison believes this to be a good combination utilizing standard cams) and will install them & reset clearances later.

I have all of the replacement ignition parts, wires, & fuel hose coming today or tomorrow. When these arrive I'll install and attempt to start the car!

Also: no gas smell in oil
Attached Images

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Latest:

Replaced all of the rubber fuel lines; tested for leaks and tightened the banjo bolt of the front fuel filter. Fuel pressure light does not come on (ever). Grounded sensor wire and light still does not come on. Maybe the dash bulb is bad - have to look.

Oil pressure warning light comes on and goes off when cranking; oil pressure now reads up to 60 psi on gauge.

Car does not start; no spark. Examined coil; Marelli outside ballast resistor & brand X coil. Wiring to coil is backwards yet I have power on the primary wire to the distributor. I measured the primary circuit resistance and got a reading of little less then 3 ohms and the secondary circuit resistance reading of about 10 ohms; shouldn't I be seeing readings of 5k to 10k ohms on the secondary circuit? Pulled distributor and examined; primary wire is exposed going into distributor and partially broken (replaced wire), points are fried & condenser is from some other type of car. I decided to install the new ignition parts; cap ok, rotor ok, condenser ok, points - the vendor sent me the wrong (ie later type) points. I have a Bosch "blue" (internally resisted) coil as well as points on order.

I already replaced the tailpipe and noticed the rest of the exhaust system was "fab'ed" at a muffler shop and is toast; going to pull the exhaust and replace.

I also noticed that the FI idle O-ring & washer are missing from the intake manifold; who sells these? Centerline does not and I have an email out to Wes Ingram.

I'm seeing a pattern here; work on the car, find I need parts, order parts and wait, work on car, repeat. I have to admit I do enjoy tinkering with it.

-John
Attached Images

LaurandSteve likes this.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

latest:

Alive!, It's Alive!, It's Alive! (Frankenstein?)

Got the correct ignition points and assembled; installed the distributor. Cranked the motor over; started on the third crank (SPICA & all)! Not bad for a $700.00 junkyard car. Next up: replace the front & middle exhaust, water pump (looks "crusty") and the front crank seal (since the radiator is already out).

Still no fuel pressure light; bulb is good. I'll change the sender.

I changed out the door locks (I now have door keys). Real progress this time around. I'm still looking for the intake manifold "idle" O-ring & washer and these parts seem to be made of unobtanium; any ideas?

Looks like I may drive this car before the weather turns (up here in Idaho).

-John
Attached Images

LaurandSteve and abeasley like this.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 11:54 PM

Fabulous!
Keep up the great work and updates
I have a similar 73

Glenn
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:01 AM

I think the Spica gets a bad rap. My current Alfa has twin Dellortos on it that have sat for awhile and I am trying to correct. At least parts available for the Dellortos. Nice job you have done. It's inspirational.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Latest:

Since I passed the milestone of getting the engine running; I removed the crusty water pump & replaced, replaced the timing cover seal, FI belt, alternator belt, fan blade (used a thin blade euro fan - good for maybe .001 hp because of less drag?!).

Removed the exhaust system (the new system is due today), removed the driveshaft (it's ok but I had a rebuilt assembly on the shelf) and will replace.

Cleaned/media blasted/painted various parts that I disassembled (this car is well preserved underneath - i.e. greasy/dirty!).

Had the radiator boiled out.

The dash had been opened up for a more modern stereo. I fabricated a plate and used a Giulia 101 spider radio delete plate (don't worry it's not an original plate, I think it's a chinese knock-off that I got on ebay for $20).

Thing I will do in the next couple of weeks:

Install the radiator and new hoses, replace the pinion seal, rear trans seal, install the driveshaft, and install the exhaust. After I do these things it will be time for a test drive!!!
Attached Images

cuorealfa and Shakey like this.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 03:30 PM

I love it.
I picked up a neglected 73 and have been going through every inch. It's turning into a nice driving, presentable car, but I have invested 2 times the purchase price into it.

I try to tell my wife that I don't hang around the wrecking yard or go looking for these...it found me and knew I could help it.

Like you, I need to get back to my other project cars, but, what harm in a little fun now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode