73 Spider "Parts Car" - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Nice work John
Make sure that you keep an eye on the oil level in the crankcase as you drive it. It is possible that the fuel leaks into thew logic section of the pump
(cross leaks) and gas washes your project.... Just make sure the oil level doesn't go up. Giallo Pagoda is the best for these old spiders
RML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:26 AM

sometimes you can get the top console piece off without removing the hand throttle cable thing, other times the bottom piece has to move and thats why I disconnect the throttle (hand one) in the engine compartment. Dont forget to remove the screws down by the hand throttle lever and the two, one on each side, where the console top attaches to the side pieces. I have had luck with not removing the side pieces before but if its OEM and the two are riveted together its easiest and less likely to break if you get some wiggle room by removing the side fixing screws.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockRally View Post
Vintage cars and shampoo have similar instructions.
Instead of Lather, Rinse, Repeat it's Rescue, Restore, Repeat.

When I win the lottery, i'm going to open up my own storage yard for classic/vintage/cool cars in need of love. I'll call it "The Shelter".
Tom Zat did that in the Wisconsin woods.....Alfa Heaven..... he never was quite right after that. APE bought all his stuff.. all or nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 02:35 PM

Sorry, to hyjack... let's get back to business on this one.. I know this guy from a '56 sand cast engine and more that I bought from him.. He is one good guy.
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Latest:

In a word: "hydraulics".

I didn't (as planned) drive the car due to other complications. I changed all of the brake hoses (rear was spongy wet the fronts were stiff & dry). The clutch slave hose was spongy and also "welded" to the slave cylinder. I had a slave cylinder on the shelf so I changed it as well. I bled the clutch and all is good there.

I noticed the brake cylinder reservoir threads for one of the caps was partially broken so I got a used one. When I went to replace it I noticed the rubber grommets on the cylinder were hard and stiff so I decided to order a new master cylinder (reasonably priced from Centerline). When I removed the cylinder it was apparent that it had been leaking for some time into the brake booster. As the booster looked like hell and had about a liter of brake fluid in it I ordered one of those (reasonably priced from Vick Auto). Since I removed and disassembled the booster/pedal box assembly I decided to replace the clutch master cylinder as well. In addition, upon inspection I noticed the clutch actuating arm & clevis pin were worn so I ordered replacements for them as well (reasonably priced from Paul Spruell).

I assembled and installed the rebuilt booster/pedal box assembly. My plan was to reuse the clutch master cylinder reservoir but I can't seem to remove from the cylinder without destroying it so I placed an order for one (reasonably priced from Classic Alfa) today and should have it early next week.

I think I've plugged just about every vendor I know.

I'm going to bleed the brakes and hopefully the work I've done will get the rears working. When the clutch reservoir comes in I will install and bleed the clutch. Then as in my last post, I'll attempt to drive the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frasca View Post
@Delllta

Curious how many miles on the car? I just scored a scourge a 79 with 21000 documented miles... sitting in a garage for at least 10 years.l.... I am a masochist ...
Tom,

The car shows 79k + change and has an oil change sticker under the hood showing 61k in 2001. As this car is an orphan I can't tell you if this is original or has 1,079,000 miles on it.
Attached Images

post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 03:14 PM

It's a slippery slope that feels like it's lined with Teflon, as you delve into your car. (Been there, doing that.)

There is a light at the end of the tunnel...it's the headlights of your well-sorted spider.
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:56 PM

@divotandtralee
If I didn’t just buy my ‘74 a week before I would have been bidding against you! She’s a beauty for sure. I’m just up the road a bit from you (south shore) but need to go to CA to pick mine up in a few weeks, driving it to my Dads house in TX for the winter ~1400 miles.

It’s my second and I don’t even have a garage! Need to put the quad away in a month or so. Still trying to find a place to rent.
Attached Images

87 Spider Quadrifoglio
74 Spider Veloce
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 07:04 PM

@Delllta
This is so impressive. If I had the time (and a garage) I’d be tempted to try but I would take 20yrs to get to where you are!

-Dan

87 Spider Quadrifoglio
74 Spider Veloce
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:37 PM

Simply impressive!

1989 Alfa Milano (Daily Driver)/1981 Alfa Spider (Current Project)/1987 Alfa Spider (RIP)
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Dan, is there a "gang plug" for all the console connections?
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:16 PM

Funny how all these "...reasonably priced from...." purchases add up to a bunch of $$.

;-)

Robert
post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Latest:

Two steps forward one step back!

The brake & clutch hydraulics are finished; all cylinders bled correctly, no leaks, and firm pedals. Mounted the wheels/tires on the car and put it on the ground.

The car starts on the second crank everytime now but runs very rich. The injection pump gap (at the throttle arm) cold is approximately 1/4" so I warmed the car up to operating temperature and the pump gap remained at a 1/4" (should be .019" or less). While the car idled and warmed up I noticed the NOS front crank seal that I had put in was leaking!!! (too old & hard?). I let the motor cool down and removed the thermostatic actuator (TA) so I could test the plunger off of the car. The 4mm studs that hold the TA to the intake manifold both snapped (even with me being careful, using PB blaster, and coaxing the nuts of)!!!.

The TA plunger measures 23mm (from the flange) at room temperature and 29mm at 175F (I believe this is within spec). The plunger that the TA pushes (inside the pump) was 1/8 turns from full seating (Wes Ingram says to start at 2 turns out and test/re-adjust etc.) so hopefully that's the problem.

I then removed the intake manifold, disassembled, cleaned, redrilled & tap'ed the studs (used stainless studs), replaced the vacuum hoses, and reassembled the manifold.

I removed the radiator & hoses to inspect the crank seal & install a new one (seal on order have not inspected bad seal yet).

While I have the intake manifold off I changed out the starter for an S4 spider (90 - 94) rebuilt starter I had on the shelf (smaller, lighter, higher output then the original and uses the same 130 tooth ring gear). The metal plate that goes between the starter and bellhousing was missing as was the shoulder bolt (installed both of them). I also replaced both motor mounts.

I installed a repro plastic upper windshield strip as well as sun visors.

I found the SPICA o-ring seal for the vacuum manifold as well as the TA o-ring (seals the TA to the intake manifold) At Alfa Parts in Berkeley.

As in many of my previous posts parts are on order!

We had our first snowfall about a week ago but no more predicted until the 25th so I still may drive the car this year yet.
Attached Images

post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:34 AM

Nice -- Looking great!!!

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:49 AM

the leaking front NOS crank seal could be the pulley itself.....when you pull it next time, inspect it closely for wear marks

an example here using a speedi sleeve to repair it:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...ix-sleeve.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:19 PM

My crank pulley had a groove worn in where the seal tracks. More important, I found a micro-fine crack the length of the pulley along one edge of the keyway. It would wipe out seals very quickly. Others have had the crank pulley sleeved to refurbish the worn groove, but with the crack, I just replaced it. Then I polished the seal surface to a high luster to help extend the seal life.

So check for a very fine crack in the pulley. If you have one as I did, you will never get seals to last very long. Otherwise, you can sleeve the seal surface and get a pulley like new.

Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode