Help with "Almost start" condition - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:15 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaissanceMan View Post
Just got her started. Would not have guessed this would be the solution, but evidently it was the gas... Put 5 fresh gallons in and after a few tries she started right up. Needed a little coaxing at first, but then smoothed out to normal. Gotta love the simple solutions. Thanks again for the feedback, folks-
"Ethanol Free" gas is good for our old classics, but water can be a big issue with it... ("Dry Gas" additive is just alcohol - because it picks up the water and lets it mix in and spread out instead of bursts of water on your plugs. Or freezing in your gas lines, up north here).
RenaissanceMan likes this.

50 years from now - how are we going to restore a "classic" microprocessor based modern car?? Alfas - 1980 Spider, 1987 Milano, 1976 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:58 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

I'm surprised the gas would go bad in two months. May want to check the tank and vapor recovery system for any leaks. The vapor valve on the recovery system should allow the tank to build up a couple PSI of pressure before it opens.

If you've got a leak somewhere I could see that making the gas go bad more quickly.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Gold Subscriber

Just for future use - get a can of starting fluid at the auto parts store. The next time it is a recalcitrant starter, spritz some of that stuff into the throttle body ( put rubber crossover hose bock on! ) - and try start again. This stuff likes to combine with oxygen like crazy, and will tell you tout de suite that you have spark, compression, and fuel and timing ( from the can anyway ), and ought lead you to more efficient troubleshooting.

jeff

1982 Spider Veloce
1999 BMW R1100S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark View Post
Just for future use - get a can of starting fluid at the auto parts store. The next time it is a recalcitrant starter, spritz some of that stuff into the throttle body ( put rubber crossover hose bock on! ) - and try start again. This stuff likes to combine with oxygen like crazy, and will tell you tout de suite that you have spark, compression, and fuel and timing ( from the can anyway ), and ought lead you to more efficient troubleshooting.
Thanks, jclark, will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
I'm surprised the gas would go bad in two months. May want to check the tank and vapor recovery system for any leaks. The vapor valve on the recovery system should allow the tank to build up a couple PSI of pressure before it opens.
Thanks, Gubi... VRS was recently checked and I didn't find any evidence of leaks... The vapor valve is the one way check valve, correct?

Adam in Nashville: '72 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 - '86 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - '74 BMW 2002tii - '90 BMW E30/S52 - '05 BMW X5 - '06 BMW 325i
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:48 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaissanceMan View Post
Thanks, Gubi... VRS was recently checked and I didn't find any evidence of leaks... The vapor valve is the one way check valve, correct?
Yeah, and the tank and hoses and stuff. Basically everything upstream of the check valve, the tank itself, and the filler hose should be airtight.

Tom

1974 GTV
1991 Spider
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Yeah, and the tank and hoses and stuff. Basically everything upstream of the check valve, the tank itself, and the filler hose should be airtight.
They did check out. I wonder if the gas I had in the tank wasn't all good to begin with...

Adam in Nashville: '72 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 - '86 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - '74 BMW 2002tii - '90 BMW E30/S52 - '05 BMW X5 - '06 BMW 325i
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 01:38 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

It's possible. I've gone quite a few months between fill-ups in the S4 and never had problems.

The Giulia with Webers gets noticeably harder to start after a month or so, but I've found adding a bit of Sta-bil to each fill-up helps.

Tom

1974 GTV
1991 Spider
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM

Ethanol free gas is no panacea . It has additives too. The additives leave a residue. The only thing I've found that was stable was race gas or AV-gas. I keep five gallons of 110 and mix it in with non ethanol. I have lots of carbureted motorcycles and a few cars. It woks well for me.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somer View Post
Ethanol free gas is no panacea . It has additives too. The additives leave a residue. The only thing I've found that was stable was race gas or AV-gas. I keep five gallons of 110 and mix it in with non ethanol. I have lots of carbureted motorcycles and a few cars. It woks well for me.
Great feedback Somer, thanks!

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:52 PM

Garage
I had this happen to me last week. I fixed the problem very quickly.The problem is your gas is old and the water has separated from the Ethanol and it will not ignite. Go to one of the Auto Stores like Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys and buy a bottle of Lucas Ethanol Conditioner & Stabilizer, also buy a bottle of Lucas Octane Booster. The Ethanol Conditioner comes in a 16 oz bottle for about $11.95. The Lucas Octane Booster comes in a 15 oz bottle and treats 25 gals of gas. One ounce of the Ethanol Conditioner treats 5 gals of gas. I had about 6 Gals of gas in my tank and I put in about 3 oz. of the Ethanol Conditioner and put about 7 oz of the Octane Booster in the gas tank.Turn the car on after about 10 minutes giving it a chance for the products to settle. The car should start then drive to the gas station and put in the highest octane you can buy 92 or 93 octane and pour the rest of the Lucas Octane Booster in the tank. The Lucas Octane Booster is one of the best it will raise your octane 3 points to 95 or 96 octane. The Spider tank is 13.5 gals so I always put about 2 to 3 oz of the Lucas Ethanol Conditioner in my tank when I fill up. It will also make your engine run smoother, clean the plugs and you will get better performance and better gas mileage. If you are hesitant pull it up on the Internet.
Good Luck

Gerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode