Parting Out my 1981 Spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Parting Out my 1981 Spider

All,
In case you are interested, I have started the journey of selling off all parts that I have for my 1981 Alfa Romeo Spider. As a result of a poor purchase a number of months ago, it was determined that the car was not worth the restoration (with the help of good members on this board) The SPICA injector/filter was removed, had been replaced by carbs, which were removed prior to the car being delivered to my house.

As such is life.

In an attempt to recoup my cost, I am attempting to earn back what I have spent in purchasing, titling, towing, research, etc by selling off all parts as I remove them. This will be a multi-month process.

One of the side effects, as this was my first Alfa (and not my last) will be that I will learn how the entire car is assembled, but in reverse. If you are interested in any detail of what I discover, I will gladly share my experience. If you are interested in any part, let me know and I will pull it and list it as soon as I can.

As it appears that the original thread that I posted and all of the great responses I received were lost a few months ago, I can't reference that thread, but I can provide two URLs.

eBay Auctions: <a href="http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=tomkins &include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50">http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=tomkins &include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50</a> <p>
Some details about the car: <a href="http://www.suitkins.com/alfa.html">http://www.suitkins.com/alfa.html</a><p>
If you need parts, or need spare parts, or want to take sympathy on a first time, no longer virgin buyer of an Alfa, please put the word out. <p>
Thanks<br>
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 02:44 PM

Jim-

I might interested in the following parts:
-rear turn/brake/backup light lens and chrome surround
-sun visors if they stay up in the wind (I guess its hard for you to tell!)
-seatbelts (I assume they have a shoulder strap) (does anyone know if they can be fit into my '74?)
-dashboard if not cracked

Thanks,
Clark

Clark
'74 Spider
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Sunvisors in the wind? Maybe during the tow over!

Thanks for your response. That is funny about the sun visors. Just so happens that I listed them this evening. They are not in good shape, but the hardware may be reusable.

As for the rear turn/brake/backup light lens and chrome surround - I can pull those this weekend and post on eBay.

Seatbelts seem to be in fine condition. Depending on when I get the seats out, I can take a look at those. Also, the seats, which are pretty beat up (leather but full of cracks), I am not sure it is worth listing. Would anyone be interested in the hardware? I can always remove just the plastic piece that holds the seat belt in shape which seems to be in good condition. Sorry, but I can't speculate about their use in a '74.

Lastly (saving the best for last), the dashboard looks to be in mint condition. I can't find a crack anywhere. Of course, it will be a little while before I get to pulling that out, but I think whomever ends up with that will be pleased.

Also this weekend I am hoping to figure out a way to power up the electrical system. I bought a new battery, but without a key, makes it a bit of a trick. Not being a car thief, I have no idea how to bypass the ignition system, but if I can figure it out, I will be able to test the electronics a little, but I probably won't spend too much time troubleshooting if something doesn't fire up (fuse, burned wire, etc).

Thanks again. So far I am having a blast taking the car apart and am just beginning! Of course, it would not have been my preference, but gotta look for the good in it.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 10:01 PM

Hey Jim,
Do you have the driver's side horn and the driver's side air vent with the lever?

Thanks,
Andre

93 BMW 325ic, 89 VW Vanagon Carat, 94 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon - sold, 88 BMW 325is - sold, 79 AR Spider - sold
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 11:48 PM

Where are you located? I'm always looking for a good used limited slip rear end.
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Andre,
I have the air vent with lever yes, but haven't separated it from the car yet. As to the horn, I am not sure. I am pretty sure I must, but hopefully will be able to verify once I have the electrical system working (IF I can get it working)

Anthony,
I am in Maryland (I will update my profile so it shows up with my name). I am pretty green to Alfa's so please bear with me. What is the slip rear end? If I have it, I will gladly take a picture to see if you are interetsed.

Thanks
Jim
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 04:55 AM
Senior Moment
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hey Jim, in what kind of shape are the front turn signals? I would need both including the connecting pieces to car's wiring harness.

David
'79 Spider
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkpark
-seatbelts (I assume they have a shoulder strap) (does anyone know if they can be fit into my '74?)
If you can't find, or figure out how to install, factory harnesses; I highly recomend the diagonal (3-point) seat belts Biba sells at http://www.alfacybersite.com/. Delivery time was a bit slow. But Installation was easy and I feel much more secure with modern harnesses instead of lap belts.
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 06:35 PM

Do you have the front grill?
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

David B,
The front turn signals look to be in pretty good condition. I hope to be able to test them this weekend, and since they look fairly straight forward for removal, I should be able to list them either over the weekend or early next week.

Clarkpark, the seatbelts are three point harnesses and seem to be in good condition.

mmarvi,
Just to make sure I understand, are you referring to the two metal pieces that make up the triangular pattern where one piece is above the bumper and one piece is below? If so, yes. I have already separated the bottom piece and it looks to be in good shape. I haven't gotten to removing the front bumper which I figure is required to remove the top part of that triangle. If you mean something else, please let me know and I will look into it.

Sorry I didn't get to list more parts this evening. I didn't get a chance to remove anything else yet.

Thanks
Jim
post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 04:21 AM

Jim,

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Please PM me.

M
post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 09:31 AM

Garage
What type of Pininfarina logo is on the '81? I just noticed that on the right side of my car, the plastic insert seems to have departed from the metal base off to parts unknown. (I'd like to think it left on its own, rather than being pried off by larcenous fingers.) If you've got the diagonal-red-white-striped, blue "f" logo rather than the script "pininfarina" logo (I don't know when they changed), I can use one. Even just the plastic part.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Moment
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks, Jim - I would need both sides of the connectors (the piece that is connected to the signal assembly as well as the connector attached to the car's wiring harness. PO cut them out on mine

thanks

David
'79 Spider
post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 03:15 PM
alfa of-corse

Clarkpark

I have 3-point belts in my 76, you'll need the black guides attached to the seats, and you will have to drill 2 holes to mount, plus all the hardware, generic "soft" bolts aren't adviseable.
post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Bob,
I've got most likely sad news. The emblem on the driver's side of the car looks like it has been removed. What is present is what looks like a mirror, which I imagine is just the base to the original emblem. I can take a picture, but am guessing mine is in the same state yours is.

DavidB, I started working on the front turn signals this evening and got as far as getting the wires and lights removed. The side covers are off as well. What remains is the brackets that are attached to the bumper. I couldn't get those b/c I don't have a set of metric hex keys. I am guessing that is what I need to get those off as the ones I had wouldn't work.

I am pleased to announce that I got the electrical system up and running despite the absence of the key. However, the ignition will never be the same...oh well. Both front turn signals work as well as the back lights, although I didn't test the brake lights. But making progress. Also removed the back lights, back bumper (which is straight trash), and the passenger headlight (burned out) with backing can (or whatever that is called). This weekend, time willing, I will start on the passenger door inside panel and if all goes well get out the driver's seat.

Thanks to everyone who has shown interest in various parts. I hope to have at least 10 more parts added to eBay by the end of the weekend.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode