Help please-re bolt size/type - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Help please-re bolt size/type

Hello all,
I'm replacing the downpipe/cat combo assembly on my 87 spider. My car has the crappy restrictive one piece manifold. 4 studs protrude from lower part of the manifold to attached it to the downpipe.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me the size/thread/length/etc of the studs I need to replace the 4x manifold to downpipe studs and also the size/thread/etc needed for the 4 nuts needed to attach the manifold to the downpipe with the noted studs?
Brass nuts?
Stainless ok if anti-seize?
Where do I get them?
Thanks so much in advance!

Dallas Tx.Currently: 87 Milano platinum 3.0. and 96 Spider 2.0ts. Previously Owned:'79 Alfetta GT,'80 Lancia Zagato, 86 Gtv6, 87 Spider Veloce.

Last edited by adamreed31; 05-17-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamreed31 View Post
Hello all,
I'm replacing the downpipe/cat combo assembly on my 87 spider. My car has the crappy restrictive one piece manifold. 4 studs protrude from the manifold to attached it to the downpipe.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me the size/thread/length/etc of the studs I need to replace the 4x manifold to downpipe studs and also the size/thread/etc needed for the 4 bolts needed to attach the manifold to the downpipe with the noted studs?
Brass nuts?
Stainless ok if anti-seize?
Where do I get them?
Thanks so much in advance!
Adam, your post is not entirely clear. Are you removing the studs and replacing them with bolts? The earlier 2-piece exhaust manifold did not have studs for connecting the front section, but rather, used bolts. These are M8-1.25 bolts, but I'm not sure the length. Centerline sells them as a kit, using stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers. I felt that the Centerline bolts in the kit were longer than necessary.

https://centerlinealfa.com/catalog/exhaust-hardware-set

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm removing the 4 studs from manifold and replacing them with fresh studs and applicable nuts(4x). centerline has neither. this is for the connection from manifold to downpipe on cars with one-piece manifold (the crappy one). thnx

Dallas Tx.Currently: 87 Milano platinum 3.0. and 96 Spider 2.0ts. Previously Owned:'79 Alfetta GT,'80 Lancia Zagato, 86 Gtv6, 87 Spider Veloce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 12:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
I'm removing the 4 studs from manifold and replacing them with fresh studs and applicable nuts(4x). centerline has neither. this is for the connection from manifold to downpipe on cars with one-piece manifold (the crappy one). thnx
Okay. Thanks for clarifying. I think that there's a typo in your original post, where you mention "4 bolts needed." You probably meant "4 nuts needed."

I have my original manifold with the studs in place. I will look at it this evening to see what condition the studs are in. If they are okay (and I can remove them), you are welcome to have them. In any event, I will get the dimensions for you.
adamreed31 likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

This is a good thread. Post #6 identifies the manifold studs.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...old-studs.html
adamreed31 likes this.

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thank you rich and mike. indeed I need the 4 studs and the 4 nuts to connect manifold to downpipe.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I read the thread. I just need 4x studs and 4x nuts to connect manifold to downpipe....or the exact measurements to both to source myself (know a source?). should the nuts be brass or stainless ok? thanks!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 02:53 PM

Garage
Factory used brass with steel lock washer. I would think SS is ok. Length does not really madder, go with a stock length. 25.4mm =1in
adamreed31 likes this.

Richard
76 Alfetta GTV gone to rust haven, 89 Spider the red graduate, 86 GTV6 on wish list
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboy89 View Post
Okay. Thanks for clarifying. I think that there's a typo in your original post, where you mention "4 bolts needed." You probably meant "4 nuts needed."

I have my original manifold with the studs in place. I will look at it this evening to see what condition the studs are in. If they are okay (and I can remove them), you are welcome to have them. In any event, I will get the dimensions for you.
rich if you could source the studs that would be great. I should be able to source the brass nuts and steel lock washers easier than the studs. thank you/please keep me posted!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Adam,

No go on removing the studs. They are way stuck. I tried PB Blaster and heating the manifold with a torch, but the studs wouldn't budge.

Anyway, if you can source them elsewhere, they are (at least on the exposed portion) M8-1.25. The length is 40mm. I can't tell if the thread size into the manifold flange is the same, but that shouldn't be difficult for you to verify if your manifold already has the studs removed.
Attached Images

adamreed31 likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport

Last edited by sloboy89; 05-17-2018 at 08:41 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:33 AM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

For small things like these, I go to Classic Alfa in the UK.

https://classicalfa.com/products.php...-MANIFOLD-STUD

https://classicalfa.com/products.php...T-MANIFOLD-NUT

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:09 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcola View Post
Mike, unfortunately, those aren't the studs Adam is looking for. He's looking for the studs on the lower end of the one-piece manifold as shown in my photo above. They have a different thread pitch, although they would probably work with the proper-pitch nuts.
adamreed31 likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:11 AM

Adam ought to buy the manifold complete as is from Rich....both the manifold (not cracked I presume) and the studs looks in very nice condition, and you are both in the same city in Dallas.....
thats what I'd do

I bet the studs are a pita to remove w/o damging them or the breaking the casting ears.
adamreed31 likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rich thank you so much for your time/effort seeing if you can remove the studs.
Everyone is always so helpful on this forum! thank you all!

How about sourcing just the brass nuts that connect to the noted studs? Need 4. Size/source?

Is this the proper fit? see link:

Nut Brass 8mm x 1.25 (6 pack) - (SKU 27-0350) [27-0350] - $9.41 : Vick Autosports, The Premier Fiat and Alfa Parts Source

thanks again.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Rich thank you so much for your time/effort seeing if you can remove the studs.
Everyone is always so helpful on this forum! thank you all!

How about sourcing just the brass nuts that connect to the noted studs? Need 4. Size/source?

Is this the proper fit? see link:

Nut Brass 8mm x 1.25 (6 pack) - (SKU 27-0350) [27-0350] - $9.41 : Vick Autosports, The Premier Fiat and Alfa Parts Source

thanks again.
That would be the correct size. Given the location, I think that stainless steel would work as well, and you could source those at Elliott's Hardware in Dallas or probably also at Lowes/Home Depot.
adamreed31 likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode