Car not starting 1975 alfa romeo spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Car not starting 1975 alfa romeo spider

Car starts when you push in second gear. I checked there is no spark generated when cranked. What is the best way to diagnose?

Checked all the spark plugs and coil doesnt spark when cranked. I beileve it is ignition switch. If yes is there any way to check ignition switch?

Thanks
Farooq
[email protected]

Alfa Romeo Spider 1975
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:52 PM

Garage
What is your ignition system? Still running points or upgraded to electronic ignition?

Marc
1980 Spider, 1997 Fiat Coupe 20VT, 1965 Giulia TI, 1971 Spider 1300 Junior
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 03:33 PM

What do you mean car starts "when you push in second gear"?? Do you mean you actually push it and drop the clutch and it fires?? Sounds like you might need a battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz1965 View Post
What is your ignition system? Still running points or upgraded to electronic ignition?
I guess its an elctronic ignition.

Alfa Romeo Spider 1975
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatford39 View Post
What do you mean car starts "when you push in second gear"?? Do you mean you actually push it and drop the clutch and it fires?? Sounds like you might need a battery.
i used jump starter and still doesn't work. My mechanic checked the car and told me that there is no spark generated when you crank the car. Everything was working fine, until one day was trying to adjust the rearview mirror amd i saw a spark near the fuse box and fuse number one blown.

Alfa Romeo Spider 1975
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farooq Syed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz1965 View Post
I guess its an elctronic ignition.
Bosch L jetronic system.

Alfa Romeo Spider 1975
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Car runs fine when i bump started it. But will not start when i crank it. Very few times it picks up and starts, sometimes it doesn't even after cranking many times.

My mechanic mentioned mechanically its good, the ignition switch doesnt give the signal to generate a spark. Also fuse 1 blows if you replace it.

Alfa Romeo Spider 1975
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:40 AM

"Car not starting 1975 alfa romeo spider / Bosch L jetronic system"

you have a 1975 spider with Bosch L-jetronic?
So it has been converted from carbs, or spica?

If the car starts fine with a bump start, then I can only think its a) cranking voltage too low, or, b) the ignition switch.
Fuse 1 is something else shorting, I think.

the L-jetronic needs a minimum of 10,5 Volt 'whilst cranking' or the computor will not wake up. Measure your cranking volts, it might be something as simple as voltage drop due to bad battery, or corroded cables or bad grounds etc.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 03-12-2018 at 03:27 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
"Car not starting 1975 alfa romeo spider / Bosch L jetronic system"

you have a 1975 spider with Bosch L-jetronic?
So it has been converted from carbs, or spica?

If the car starts fine with a bump start, then I can only think its a) cranking voltage too low, or, b) the ignition switch.
Fuse 1 is something else shorting, I think.

the L-jetronic needs a minimum of 10,5 Volt 'whilst cranking' or the computor will not wake up. Measure your cranking volts, it might be something as simple as voltage drop due to bad battery, or corroded cables or bad grounds etc.
Hi, Thanks for replying back. I used fully charged jump starter to crank. I guess it had old spica system which was converted later to a later version.

Alfa Romeo Spider 1975
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Hi, Thanks for replying back. I used fully charged jump starter to crank. I guess it had old spica system which was converted later to a later version.
see my pm.
if it starts by bump starting and not by jump starting, you have a voltage drop somewhere.

with a bump start you are neither turning the key to "START" (it is just in the "ON" position) nor engaging the starter motor, so your ecu will be getting good voltage.

with a jump start, you are doing both, and your ecu is probably not getting the required 10,5V

hence you need the cranking voltage (voltage across the battery poles, or at the main starter connection block on the left hand inner fender whilst someone is cranking the engine for you)

is this car new to you...did it ever start or was the problem always there?

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
Quote:
see my pm.
if it starts by bump starting and not by jump starting, you have a voltage drop somewhere.

with a bump start you are neither turning the key to "START" (it is just in the "ON" position) nor engaging the starter motor, so your ecu will be getting good voltage.

with a jump start, you are doing both, and your ecu is probably not getting the required 10,5V

hence you need the cranking voltage (voltage across the battery poles, or at the main starter connection block on the left hand inner fender whilst someone is cranking the engine for you)

is this car new to you...did it ever start or was the problem always there?
i just purchased it. It never had any starting problems as said by the previous owner. It worked fine until one day when the temperature was negative and on the morning i cranked and didn't start and i cranked again and again it never started. Thats when the problem started, so unable to start with crank , always have to bump start it.

Alfa Romeo Spider 1975
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I learned something good and important.

I used a brand new fully charged jump starter to start my car didnt start. As per your suggestion @spiderserie4, i checked the cranking voltage was low. I went to autozone to check my battery, they said they will charge and notify me. When i went to pick up the battery, they said my battery is bad and needs to be replaced. I used the charged battery and car started in on crank.

Lesson learnt: Use a fully charged battery, jump start is not enough.

Second: Dont trust people working at autoparts, one says battery is bad and other says battery is good.

Anyways, being a new owner of alfa romeo i didnt have much information on it.

Thanks Everyone. Especially @spiderserie4.

I still need to post some pictures because i have few doubts. This forum is really good.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:14 AM

Y-e-a-h!
Good news

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:37 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
You may want to check your ENGINE GROUND STRAP. When starting, both the electronic ignition and starter may be (depending on ignition module type - like in-the-distributor) using that ground, and the starter uses so much current that a poor ground can make the ignition see an apparent low voltage to the same ground... A fresh battery helps because there's a bit more current capacity available (i.e. the voltage doesn't drop so far on starter motor operation).

My Pertronix ignition box required it's own feed and ground wire all the way from the battery, just to avoid that issue.

50 years from now - how are we going to restore a "classic" microprocessor based modern car?? Alfas - 1980 Spider, 1987 Milano, 1976 Spider
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Adding new issue. I can hear noise when pressing clutch and it goes after releasing clutch. I will try to upload on youtube and post link.
Attached Images

Alfa Romeo Spider 1975

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode