105 Series Oil Pan Dipstick - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

105 Series Oil Pan Dipstick

The 105 tubes and sticks seem to be hard to come by on the market so I'm looking to modify my 115 series dipstick and tube to accommodate a 105 series pan.

The 115 port is in the block where the 105 port is in the pan making the 115 tube and stick considerably longer than the 105.

Does anyone know the lengths of the 105 tube and stick or have any suggestions?
Attached Images

1986 Spider Grad (one owner) converted to 1973 2L w/dual Webers in 2018, 2007 Honda Spirit VT1100C, 1980 Honda CX500 Custom, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRt, 1971 VW Beetle Convertible (complete restoration in progress for the wife)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have done this modification, but unfortunately, my Spider is at the paint shop having some touch-up work done, so I can't take new photos right now. My 85 Spider had a cracked block, and I replaced it with an early 2.0L block that did not have the dipstick fitting through the block. Because of that, I had to replace the upper pan with an early pan that has the dipstick fitting.

What I did was to use the same dipstick tube from the 85 Spider (rather than the short tube from the early model). Because the fitting on the old-style pan is lower than the fitting on the block, the tube is naturally lower than on the '85. Thus, I fabricated a little bracket to hold it in place as shown below.

The offset between the original height of the tube and the new height is the amount of length that the dipstick needed to be shortened. So I then cut that amount off of the end of dipstick and rounded off the end. The top and bottom markings for the oil-level min-max range also were transferred the same amount, and I marked those by drilling small holes in the dipstick.

This has all worked great.
Attached Images

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboy89 View Post
What I did was to use the same dipstick tube from the 85 Spider (rather than the short tube from the early model). Because the fitting on the old-style pan is lower than the fitting on the block, the tube is naturally lower than on the '85. Thus, I fabricated a little bracket to hold it in place as shown below.

The offset between the original height of the tube and the new height is the amount of length that the dipstick needed to be shortened. So I then cut that amount off of the end of dipstick and rounded off the end. The top and bottom markings for the oil-level min-max range also were transferred the same amount, and I marked those by drilling small holes in the dipstick.

This has all worked great.
Nice. Thanks for the quick reply.

To clarify, you affixed your '85 tube to the new fitting, inserted the dipstick 'till it hit bottom and then measured the amount of the stick that was still exposed? I don't recall the old stick ever hitting bottom but I assume it was really close.

1986 Spider Grad (one owner) converted to 1973 2L w/dual Webers in 2018, 2007 Honda Spirit VT1100C, 1980 Honda CX500 Custom, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRt, 1971 VW Beetle Convertible (complete restoration in progress for the wife)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 02:28 PM

I made this mod many years ago. Why I did was to level the car (in my garage) with the old engine and dipstick, and check and adjust the oil level to perfection. Then used a stiff rod to measure to the bottom of the pan, and noting the oil level.

Then I made the change, and used the measurements to modify the new tube and dipstick. I had to make that upper bracket too.

Robert
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearoldspider View Post
To clarify, you affixed your '85 tube to the new fitting, inserted the dipstick 'till it hit bottom and then measured the amount of the stick that was still exposed? I don't recall the old stick ever hitting bottom but I assume it was really close.
I suppose that it can be done different ways. What I did was to determine the height difference of the original and modified setup at the top of the tube, relative to the cam cover flange. For example, in the stock image below (not my car), it looks like the top of the metal tube is about 0.5 inches above the cam cover flange. In the other image (my car), the top of the metal tube is perhaps 1.5 inches below the flange. These are not the actual measurements, but rather estimates based on the examination of the photos. But in this example, it would mean that the dipstick length would need to be shortened by 2.0 inches (and the min/max indicators moved up 2.0 inches).

I don't remember what the actual measurements were (I did this several years ago), and as I mentioned, my car is in the shop now. But the methodology should work.
Attached Images

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport

Last edited by sloboy89; 03-06-2018 at 02:55 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Unfortunately, when I got home I realized my valve cover doesn't have those attachment points as it's a older one but y'all have given me some ideas on how to make it work. I'll need to shorten the tube so it doesn't flop around though. Thanks.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:36 PM

I did sort of the opposite when I rebuilt my Alfetta engine with an old block from my Spider. Wasnít until it was all installed that I realized there was no, place to put the dipstick!

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode