Patching rubber on stainless steel bumpers - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Shiraz1965
  • 1 Post By spiderserie4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Patching rubber on stainless steel bumpers

Just retrofitted stainless steel bumpers on my 1980 Spider however the bumpers I used were missing the big rubber over riders. This leaves me with 2 large holes.

Any suggestions on how to patch these? Would prefer not reinstall over riders (even if I could find them). My original thought was to use black silicone caulking but colour would likely be off.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Tom Frasca likes this.

Marc
1980 Spider, 1997 Fiat Coupe 20VT, 1965 Giulia TI, 1971 Spider 1300 Junior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
I seem to remember that you could buy new rubber for those bumpers.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
I seem to remember that you could buy new rubber for those bumpers.
Thanks! Just did a quick search with the usual suspects but couldn't find anything. Will do a more extensive search when I get home.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:40 AM

looking thru most of the german suppliers, I'm not so sure you can buy new rubber inserts...

an older thread on the bumpers here (Lokki got his from APE)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...oded-view.html

anyway I personally wouldn't just fill with silicone, it'll make all your hard work retrofitting these, look 'orrible

fit small lights there maybe until you find the correct inserts?
Shiraz1965 likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
looking thru most of the german suppliers, I'm not so sure you can buy new rubber inserts...

an older thread on the bumpers here (Lokki got his from APE)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...oded-view.html

anyway I personally wouldn't just fill with silicone, it'll make all your hard work retrofitting these, look 'orrible

fit small lights there maybe until you find the correct inserts?
Might try to Photoshop some lights in there to give me an idea. Also toying with the idea of sculpting low profile inserts from hockey pucks (I live in Canada...). At worst it looks really bad and I just pop it back out.

Marc
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Well, shoot. They were available at one time, but that was a long time ago.

Brian __________________________________

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz1965 View Post
Just retrofitted stainless steel bumpers on my 1980 Spider however the bumpers I used were missing the big rubber over riders. This leaves me with 2 large holes.

Any suggestions on how to patch these? Would prefer not reinstall over riders (even if I could find them). My original thought was to use black silicone caulking but colour would likely be off.

Thanks for your help.
Very Nice..

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have a '74 and would like to remove the over riders as well. This seems like a good opportunity for someone with a 3D printer to create a plug.

My thought is to not try to perfectly match the contour of the rubber cover with the plug but to make it look like a mini version of the original over rider, just a couple of rounded bumps.

Now all I need is a 3D printer, a CAD program and a whole lot of trial and error...

Greg East
Loveland, CO USA
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'87 Porsche 944 turbo
'93 BMW 740i
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 PM

Try Del Priore. They may be able to get them (Looks like currently out of stock). I bought a new rubber strip for the rear bumper when I removed the over-riders from a 74 Spider bumper. Not inexpensive...

Del Priore
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregeast View Post
I have a '74 and would like to remove the over riders as well. This seems like a good opportunity for someone with a 3D printer to create a plug.

My thought is to not try to perfectly match the contour of the rubber cover with the plug but to make it look like a mini version of the original over rider, just a couple of rounded bumps.

Now all I need is a 3D printer, a CAD program and a whole lot of trial and error...
Yes, that's what I would like to achieve. Just a smaller version of the big overriders.

Marc
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo5151 View Post
Try Del Priore. They may be able to get them (Looks like currently out of stock). I bought a new rubber strip for the rear bumper when I removed the over-riders from a 74 Spider bumper. Not inexpensive...

Del Priore
Didn't know about Del Priore. Thanks for the tip. They do seem to have it but at 150 Euros, I'm going to start chipping away at old hockey pucks.... lol

But I'm sure they will come in handy when I start restoring my 65 Giulia.

Marc
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz1965 View Post
Didn't know about Del Priore. Thanks for the tip. They do seem to have it.....
I very much doubt delP has them....
...when it states "Auf Anfrage" it just means please ask (followed by...nope)
even when it says in stock you have to ask, because they rarely update their site.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode