Can (Should) This Caliper Be Rebuilt? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Can (Should) This Caliper Be Rebuilt?

My rear wheels were not turning freely (BTW, it flooded in Harvey and hasn't moved but a few feet since) so I removed the right one and found this. I recall reading somewhere that the pistons should be able to be pushed in by hand easily. These won't budge.

Suggestions please?
Attached Images

1986 Spider Grad (one owner) converted to 1973 2L w/dual Webers in 2018, 2007 Honda Spirit VT1100C, 1980 Honda CX500 Custom, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRt, 1971 VW Beetle Convertible (complete restoration in progress for the wife)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:37 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
I would remove the pistons and inspect the bore and pistons. It might be best to locate and purchase some used calipers that need new seals.

How high did the water get around your car?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:53 AM

can they be rebuilt? yes, depends on your capabilities...see what's involved here:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/susp...-calipers.html

I'd guess best for you is to get 4 exchange rebuild calipers...Rock Auto do Centric calipers at about 50$ a piece plus refundable core charge.
Centric is not a name we know over here in europe, but that is real cheap, believe me (if they are good)
An ATE would cost you triple.
It'd cost you more on parts if you did it yourself!

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 01-31-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 07:12 AM
Platinum Subscriber

You can get rebuilt calipers on ebay from Cardone or Centrix, others, reasonably cheaply. I personally find rebuilding calipers a major pain, especially if the piston won't come out, or when it does, shoots across the garage from unexpected release after too much air pressure.
Andrew
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
How high did the water get around your car?
Only a bit of the top could be seen at the height of the flooding.

1986 Spider Grad (one owner) converted to 1973 2L w/dual Webers in 2018, 2007 Honda Spirit VT1100C, 1980 Honda CX500 Custom, 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRt, 1971 VW Beetle Convertible (complete restoration in progress for the wife)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
can they be rebuilt? yes, depends on your capabilities...see what's involved here:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/susp...-calipers.html

I'd guess best for you is to get 4 exchange rebuild calipers...Rock Auto do Centric calipers at about 50$ a piece plus refundable core charge.
Centric is not a name we know over here in europe, but that is real cheap, believe me (if they are good)
An ATE would cost you triple.
It'd cost you more on parts if you did it yourself!
My limited capabilities and the relative inexpensive cost of rebuilts is making me think I will defer my learning to do it myself for the time being.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 08:05 AM
Gold Subscriber

Hello,

With my firm grasp of the obvious, I feel obligated to say what many here must be thinking.

In regard to how deeply your beloved car was flooded, you said "only a bit of the top (was) above water".

Where does one even begin recovering from such a devastating event? Have you tried to crank the car?

Having endured Hurricaine Agnes decades ago, I have some small appreciation for what you must have gone through with Harvey and wish you all the best in what will doubtless be a long process of recovery.

Steve Waclo Carson City, NV; '87 Spider QV, ES Champion, 2018 Reno SCCA (125k);'93 Honda Nighthawk 750 (105k);'03 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Turbo Diesel (155k);'08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE, 6sp (125k)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 08:05 AM

Classic alfa has calipers for 133.00 and it is not worth even trying to rebuild at that cost.

I have used Centric and while I did not have problem with their calipers their disc are crap. I put them on both a GMC pick up and a Volvo and both warped after a short period of time. I went back to name brands and have not had an issue.

Kevin

KL Harper
Mebane, NC yes another one from Mebane and it is not that big of a town.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
Hello,

With my firm grasp of the obvious, I feel obligated to say what many here must be thinking.

In regard to how deeply your beloved car was flooded, you said "only a bit of the top (was) above water".

Where does one even begin recovering from such a devastating event? Have you tried to crank the car?

Having endured Hurricaine Agnes decades ago, I have some small appreciation for what you must have gone through with Harvey and wish you all the best in what will doubtless be a long process of recovery.
I completely stripped the interior and cleaned, repaired or replaced everything. I'm replacing the engine with a modified, rebuilt one out of a '73 spider with dual carbs. She and I will be back together eventually. It was unfortunate but, on the bright side, I'm having a lot of fun restoring it. All those hours watching Ed China on Wheeler Dealers is paying off.
Attached Images

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:39 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yearoldspider View Post
I completely stripped the interior and cleaned, repaired or replaced everything. I'm replacing the engine with a modified, rebuilt one out of a '73 spider with dual carbs. She and I will be back together eventually. It was unfortunate but, on the bright side, I'm having a lot of fun restoring it. All those hours watching Ed China on Wheeler Dealers is paying off.
I suggest you source a wire harness and all relays for the car.

Brian __________________________________

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:45 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
My rear wheels were not turning freely (BTW, it flooded in Harvey...)
Agree with what others have said about just buying new or rebuilt calipers.

Given that your car was flooded, I would think you will also need to rebuild/replace the other hydraulic components: brake MC, clutch MC, rear pressure regulator, clutch slave cyl.

What about the differential, transmission, and steering box? Wouldn't they have swallowed some dirty water and need at least a thorough flushing?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
I suggest you source a wire harness and all relays for the car.
Keeping in mind the flood waters were "fresh" and not saltwater, the wires themselves I believe are fine. I cleaned the connections where needed and replaced the relays that weren't operative. I also replaced the cluster circuit board due to a couple of bad contacts but it and the instruments were generally very clean. At this point, all electronics are working although I haven't been able to test those related to a running, moving vehicle such as alternator, fuel pump, oil pressure, temp, starter, speedo, tach, etc...

A total replacement of the wiring harness and all that it entails is way beyond my pay grade.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:59 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Keeping in mind the flood waters were "fresh" and not saltwater, the wires themselves I believe are fine.
You're probably right. Once you get to that stage you can test the electrical system.

Quote:
I haven't been able to test those related to a running, moving vehicle such as alternator, fuel pump, oil pressure, temp, starter, speedo, tach, etc...
You may have some difficulties with those components, but you probably won't damage anything by trying them. At that point you can just replace what doesn't work.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 06:14 PM

There's a great thread over on the Boxster forums of a guy in OK who purchased a Harvey flood car, a 2004 Boxster S Special edition, from Copart in Houston. He's documenting his effort to see if the car can be made worthwhile again.

Best of luck with your effort!

The Houston 04 SE - 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Don - 1984 Spider Veloce[/FONT]
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 06:31 PM

Garage
no..

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode