• 1 Post By adamreed31
  • 1 Post By kcabpilot
  • 1 Post By adamreed31

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just sayin'...

Hello all...

Has been some time since I posted, thought I would return w an interesting note:

No intent of creating a bunch of gear oil stink or a 7 page banter- just wanted to share an experience.

My 87 veloce has the ever so typical 'take it easy shifting' synchro's so I dumped whatever the prior owner put in it (probably Castrol gtx 20/50-lol) and went to the new generation shell spirax gl-5. Shifted better...not too shabby.

Then dumped the spirax to try out the redline ns stuff and initially it felt good but progressively got crunchier and crunchier to the point where I wondered if I even had any gear oil at all! It leaked like a stuck pig so was ready to go back to dino-oil to perhaps slow the leak.

With that and the fact that I'm OCD I then tried out (don't freak out) Mazola Corn Oil ----just kidding---I then put Brad Penn Classic GL-4 which specifically does not have any friction modifiers. I know...no EP protection (it likely does but less than GL5) but I don't drive this old 135k mile car hard so was not worried just to try. The Porsche guys with their 80's 944's many swear by it and I thought the worst that could happen is it felt worse and I would go back to spirax.

Interestingly- Low and behold the Penn Classic GL4 has resulted from the best feeling shifts since I have owned the car.

I do understand my tranny is ready for a rebuild/reseal soon but I can pause between 1-2 upshifts and blip throttle on downshifts and it shifts pretty well. Just wanted to share this because I have obviously fallen prey to the gear oil dialogue over-analysis (as many have) and was very happy with the GL-4 Penn Classic which has not been discussed to any degree thus far- obviously because factory did not recommend and the redline ns movement is so strong currently .

I'll report back if things improve even more over time or degrade but I thought this was very interesting.

One thing I cannot seem to find is Alfar7 once noted that the approx. 2 pint fill spec was too much and recommended another amount- anyone remember what he said? I'll send him a PM if no one does.

Thanks again all- still love our old spider with all its flaws....

Best to all in 2018-
Adam

Dallas Tx.Currently: 87 Milano platinum 3.0. and 96 Spider 2.0ts. Previously Owned:'79 Alfetta GT,'80 Lancia Zagato, 86 Gtv6, 87 Spider Veloce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 03:43 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Cool, thanks for that info. I have run the Redline NS for a while now, in my freshly rebuilt trans. Actually just 1st, 2nd and 3rd syncros, everything else was kept, although he flipped a few of the syncros around. AAAAnyway, once the car warms up 1st gear sucks. Great when cold, but when the light turns green, it takes about 2-3 sec to get it into 1st with out buzzing the gear.

What do you see with the Penn GL4 when shifting into first from neutral? I don't keep my foot on the clutch, btw, or this wouldn't be a problem.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 04:32 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamreed31 View Post
One thing I cannot seem to find is Alfar7 once noted that the approx. 2 pint fill spec was too much and recommended another amount- anyone remember what he said? I'll send him a PM if no one does.
Adam,

Good to hear that things are going well. Keep us updated on the gearbox. Richard's advice is to use 3 pints (1.5 quarts) rather than filling the gearbox to the fill hole, which is almost two quarts. One post explaining that is here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...ssion-oil.html
adamreed31 likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
John I have never had going into first issues with this car.

I will say I have grown accustomed over the years driving older/somewhat worn euro trans gearboxes-(no pro by any means however)
My fix to your issue is that I ALWAYS touch 3rd gear or go all the way into third gear before I go into 1st or reverse to start off.
This has consistently remedied the issue for me you note.
If this does not remedy your issue, I would think it may be a product of another issue (air in hydraulic clutch circuit somewhere?)

Rich thanks so much for the quick response! Indeed I put 1.5 quarts of the Penn GL-4 in the other day so good deal!

I am very optimistic at this point with how this oil has responded to my tranny- time will tell though!!

>
f4driver likes this.

Dallas Tx.Currently: 87 Milano platinum 3.0. and 96 Spider 2.0ts. Previously Owned:'79 Alfetta GT,'80 Lancia Zagato, 86 Gtv6, 87 Spider Veloce.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John533i View Post
...What do you see with the Penn GL4 when shifting into first from neutral? I don't keep my foot on the clutch, btw, or this wouldn't be a problem.
John, you canít go into first from neutral like that because there is no synchro on first. So what you are experiencing is normal. You need to develop the habit of putting it in one of the other gears then into first. Most people (myself included) figure out that all they have to do is ďtouchĒ second although itís a theory of mine that such a habit is a contributor to second gear synchro wearing out prematurely so Iíve tried to break myself of it. The other option is to push in the clutch then count to ten but thatís not very practical.
rogerspeed likes this.

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I think I just said that...sortof...lol...

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quick update- I was very suprised and pleased to now report that the gear oil change noted initially when the brad penn gl4 classic is the best shifting I have yet to experience in this car. a noteworthy improvement over the spirax and ns redline stuff. Im sure this is contrary to ongoing dialogue about what to use but it has worked beautifully in my 97 spider with 135k miles.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
BUMP
friendly heads up to all you spider drivers with 'fragile' synchros-
IMHO- the brad Penn classic gl-4 I put in my box hands down out performs the shell spirax and redline ns oil.
Shifting markedly improved and resistance going into 2nd has been minimized.
Highly recommended before taking the plunge to replace synchros- have been driving some time now this way and very nice indeed!
alfabeach likes this.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Where can I buy it? Everywhere I search say its not available.

Gary
87 Spider Veloce
Spring Hill, TN

As of 4/15/19: NEXT: Fix foot-well lights, shift knob. Enhance seats.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 02:39 PM

There are a number of vendors for the Brad Penn oil. I haven't tried to actually buy it as the Pennzoil Synchromesh I'm using is working well.
I wonder how well that 80W90 will work in colder weather. The Pennzoil product works fine in sub-freezing weather.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmilke View Post
Where can I buy it? Everywhere I search say its not available.
Yeah- pretty easy to find. I think I bought on amazon or ebay.
Highly recommended. really changes my cars trans personality weeping leak is next to nothing.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:24 PM

Garage
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...YecBe0QviQIngE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode