Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Coolant choice for S4

Tags
coolant
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Velocity 
#1 ·
Quick question re coolant choice for a 92 S4 Spider. I have some O'Reilly's 50/50 green and just want to make sure it's ok to put in the Alfa. It says 'all cars' but an Alfa is not just a car...

I can't remember what my mechanic topped it off with a couple years ago and I'd rather not track him down to call if possible. Since I have the above coolant already I'd prefer to just use that as long as it's ok. Many thanks!

#2 ·
If it’s the universal coolant it’s not the green stuff. The universal coolant is usually yellow.

The green stuff will say conventional coolant. It is what originally came in your Alfa and is fine to use provided you change it every two years.

The “all cars” stuff is the new long life OAT coolant. Supposedly it should be fine in an S4.

Generally you don’t want to mix the two types.

#4 ·
I am sure they all use distilled or demineralized water. Prestone specifically says they use demineralized, which is fine.

Only downside of the 50/50 stuff is it costs a bit more overall, but if that's all you use to fill and top off you know your mixture is always right so it's less to think about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.