Alfa Romeo Forums banner

largest battery for 86 spyder

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Norseman50 
#1 ·
What is the largest battery from Costco that will fit in the carrier of my 86 spyder? Best cranking and reserve power? OI have had 2 Interstate, and am not happy with them. a 5 year warante gives me only about 2 years..even with a Battery Tender. Any ideas? Thx, Don:cursing:

#2 ·
I don't think a larger battery is going to help. Either the Interstate batteries have been defective or there is a problem with your charging system or there is a battery drain that is killing your batteries. I'd suggest you rule out the latter two issues before getting another battery.

#3 ·
Florida heat isn't good for batteries, but that does seem pretty bad. Like Eric said, I don't think a bigger battery is going to make much of a difference so maybe time to do some troubleshooting.

Is your battery tender a modern electronic one? Make sure you have a electronic smart charger that shuts off when the battery is full. A discharged battery isn't good, but the old style trickle chargers can overcharge a battery which isn't good for battery life either.

#4 ·
I get four to five years on a 34/78 series. I do keep my car in a garage and run it at less once a month. I replaced the alternator once and replaced the wire from alternator to junction box. Also added an extra ground to motor.

#5 ·
I added a larger wire from alternator to junction box, cleaned all ground locations, and unfortunately had to remove the lights under the hood, interior of car, and cig lighter cause I couldnt find the drain. All is well, no more draining. going on 4 years with cheap battery from autozone

#6 · (Edited)
The stock battery size for a 1986 Spider is a Group Number 34, which is specified to have maximum dimensions of 10-1/4" long, 6-13/16" wide, and 7-7/8" high, cold cranking performance amps anywhere between 375 and 800, and a reserve capacity of 100-115 minutes @80 degrees F.

I suggest you buy a Group 34 battery with the highest CCA rating and best warranty that you can afford.

Since I purchased my car (in 2013), I have had to replace my battery once, the internal voltage regulator in the alternator once, and troubleshoot numerous battery drains (which were determined to be mis-toggled courtesy light switches, missing courtesy light pushbutton bumper in door jamb, sun visor vanity mirror switched on, and audio system power switch settings). I now trust that my car will start every time, even if I haven't run it in 2 or 3 weeks. I do however, disconnect the battery and use a "battery minder" in the winter months.

When I replaced my battery a year ago I got a Sears Die Hard Gold (with 795 CCA and a 3 year warranty) for a little over $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.