Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Lost in-tank pump filter

535 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  John533i 
#1 ·
So, I just went to replace the in tank fuel pump and filter. The old filter had torn off in the tank, and was nowhere where I could see it. I put a new filter on the new pump, and while trying to manuver the assembly into place, the new filter snapped off the pump and now it, too, is free to swim in the tank. It would fold over very well because it had a wire inside it to keep it's shape...

So, are these going to clog up my fuel intake at some point, or is there any damage that they'll do? I put the thing back together anyway for troubleshooting fuel issues on light throttle. It's better than before by far, but it still has the issue once warmed up. I just ordered the stepped hose from Centerline and a new filter. The current hose fits pretty loose, and even though I zip-tied it, there may still be an issue.

#2 · (Edited)
they won't do damage in there (I bet there is many a spider driving around with a floating filter!), but you should be able to fish them out when you replace the stepped hose......a small flashlight to find it and an old fashioned coathanger bent strait with a hook on the end to go fishing with;)

I had the same problem....it was difficult to get the filter in thru that hole. Patience is needed. The filter should fit quite tight over the pump, if it doesn't it will fly off each time.

Remember the filter needs to line up with the small baffle in the bottom of the tank....and the float fits one specific way (I presume you made a note before taking it out) so that the fuel gauge doesn't bounce all over the shop.

#3 ·
Thanks man, Yeah, I found an old International Autoparts video on YouTube that explained everything and how to lever it in. The filter sock fit tightly over the pump nozzle, but wouldn't bend by the nozzle due to the stiff thing inside, so while trying to push it through the hole, it eventually popped off the pump. I'll try one more time, then I'm going filterless! :smile2:

Silver lining- I don't smell fuel inside the cabin as much anymore, it seems a new gasket helped. So there's that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.