Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Procedure for pulling out a stuck bumper

407 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sloboy89 
#1 ·
My new 87 spider has a relatively minor problem that affects its appearance upfront. The bumper got pushed in on the passenger side and the 5mph piston did not move it back to its original position. Is there a safe procedure to move this back without damaging anything? I thought about tying a rope to the bumper and slowly backing up from a big tree but wasn't sure how sturdy all of these parts are. Any help is welcome! Thank you!

#2 ·
I would not use the procedure you are describing. The bumper is attached to the pistons using a couple of brackets that are just pop-riveted to the aluminum bumper. If you pull on the bumper, those pop rivets are likely to just pull out. The best way would be to remove the bolts that attach the pistons to the chassis and remove the entire bumper assembly. Then, if you can see that one piston is compressed more than the other, you can unbolt it from the bumper bracket. At that point, you can try to extend it, and if that doesn't work, get a replacement piston. Alfa Parts Exchange should have plenty of good used ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.