Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Hazard Switch faulty?

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Alfajay 
#1 · (Edited)
Thanks to PapaJam I have got most all the electrical fixed on my 86 Spider. I have one issue though that I am hoping I can get an answer to (PapaJam:smile2:) before I start tracing line by line... I already have the console out.
Since I bought the car no lights or anything worked and if you hit the hazards you would hear the relay clicking about 3 times and then fuse 5 would blow. Lights didn't work and deduced that that was the column switch. I replaced that and all lights work now EXCEPT the turn signals, the bulbs don't even light when the hazard switch is on (which now by the way triggers the relay for some time before #5 blows...). I now have access to all the cluster connectors and was starting to trace wire by wire, ohming stuff out looking for an issue when I thought, "could it just be this hazard switch? Everything runs to it....." BTW, I replaced the flasher relay with a new one with no change and new bulbs in the sockets but not so much as a flicker from them. I hope an Alfa wiring wizard can give me some knowledge before I start chasing electrons.....

#2 ·
The most common issue with lights that don't work is poor grounds. Some lamps depend on a mounting screw's connection to the body for ground - many places for iffy connections that way. But I wouldn't think poor grounds would blow fuses. That seems more likely a short circuit somewhere. Remove all the bulbs and see if the fuse still blows. If not, replace one bulb at a time. That might narrow it down to which leg of the circuit has the short.

You probably also need to learn some Italian swear words...

#3 · (Edited)
ghnl is on the right track. I agree that the switch probably isn't the problem; more likely, it is a short somewhere in the turn signal wiring. I am not optimistic that ghnl's diagnostic of removing one bulb at a time will tell you much - if the fuse is blowing because one of the connections to the bulbs is shorted, then the presence/absence of a bulb won't make much difference.

One thing you didn't tell us: Do the turn signal bulbs flash during those few cycles before the fuse blows?

Also does any of the turn signal wiring, especially around the flasher switch, look like it has been modified by a previous owner?

#4 ·
Thanks. I have an Italian friend, I hear them often. I have cleaned all the grounds on the car I can find and I believe you are right, that would have nothing to do with my issue. Hazard button triggers flashers, turn signal wand does not. Wand wiring runs to hazard cluster through a couple of cluster connectors. By my interpretation now it appears that out of the switch power runs to the bulbs. I quit deciphering and digging when I decided I needed a long wire for troubleshooting and have an appointment.... Hoping in the mean time someone has seen this issue before or can tell me if the hazard switch can cause this fault. Right now I am leaning toward the hazard switch, I just don't want to buy one without some verification or at least a little guru backup!:laugh2:

#6 ·
Alfajay said:
Also does any of the turn signal wiring, especially around the flasher switch, look like it has been modified by a previous owner?
There was some "device" and some type of Toyota relay spliced into the system
Yea, somehow I guessed that a previous owner's idea of wiring had something to do with your issues. I'd begin by removing all the dodgy looking stuff the PO installed or modified.

Right now I am leaning toward the hazard switch, I just don't want to buy one without some verification or at least a little guru backup!:laugh2:
Well, you have had two people (ghnl and myself) advise you that it probably isn't the hazard switch. Since the hazard switch isn't grounded, it would be hard for it to have an internal fault that would blow a fuse. But it's always nice to think that just swapping one component will fix a problem when the alternative is hours of troubleshooting.

#5 ·
Sorry I didn't add... no power ever makes it to the bulb sockets. There was some "device" and some type of Toyota relay spliced into the system, I assume it was a alarm of some sort at one time, removed it.

#7 ·
The hazard switch IS grounded but I believe it is internal. I am totally capable of tracing this issue. I was hoping for some answers from soneonr who KNOWS, no guessing. Just because I post a question does not mean I am lost.... looking for someone with the experience with this vehicle that can tell me if the switch can cause this issue before I start troubleshooting. He said nothing about it not being the switch, he said a short, which seems obvious because it blows fuses by that short can certainly be IN the hazard switch.

#8 · (Edited)
The hazard switch IS grounded but I believe it is internal.
You're right, there must be a ground connection to the hazard switch, because it has an indicator light that flashes when the hazard lights are on. So sure, in theory there could be an internal short. But I still agree with ghnl that the switch is a long shot - hazard switches do fail, but not typically in that mode.

I was hoping for some answers from soneonr who KNOWS, no guessing.
Without spending some "hands on" time with a car, it's pretty hard to KNOW what is wrong with it. All someone can do over the Internet is offer ideas. Unless you can find someone with an Alfa that also has "some device and some type of Toyota relay spliced into the system", you may have a unique situation.

#9 ·
Understood. Electrical problems are a PITA anyway. My only question was if the switch could be at fault. As with most vehicles, they all have problems that are common particular to itself. I was hoping someone would chime in and say "yes, those hazard switches go bad and cause the symptoms you are seeing", someone who has experienced the problem. Or an internal schematic of the switch so I can test it. I have a degree in electronics so my ability to chase electrons and read diagrams is worthy. With the wiring diagram in front of me and tracing the signal from the indicator wand, through the clusters, to the Hazard switch, then back to the flasher, it sure appears that the issue could very possibly be in the switch. I have the console out and all the wiring and connectors "look" fine and unaltered but before I go through the tedious job of voltage and continuity checks I was hoping for some words of wisdom. If I do not hear from someone who has first hand knowledge of this issue I will use my ability, wisdom, and DMM to identify the problem. When I find it I will surely post my findings. Still hoping for the super Alfa wiring guru to point me in the right direction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.