Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Water Pump Q

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Tom Frasca 
#1 ·
I have the radiator out and am replacing hoses, belts...Should there be ANY wiggle/looseness in the water pump when I move the pulley? If not, how hard is the water pump replacement? I saw the documented version from 2010...is that it for an 84 Spider? Thank you in advance

Luis

#2 ·
very easy there should be no play(wobble) whatsoever remove it make sure the replacement has the exact same pulley...

#4 ·
The pulley CAN move in and out s l i g h t l y. This is the spring on the water stop seal allowing for normal seal carbon wear. However, NO WOBBLE, as that indicates the bearings are on the way to bearing heaven.

#5 ·
I didn't detect any in out, but just a bit of up down...I also see that the fan (and the new one) has a deeper pocket and a more shallow pocket to place on the hub/pulley...of course I didn't pay attention when removing it..which end goes over the pulley, and If I recall, the metal washer/is on the outside for the bolts...Thanks again in advance for all the info..

#10 ·
While you're at it have the radiator descaled and flow tested,pressure tested... the original core are so superior to recores.. any good rad shop can do it for about a $100 I repaint with epoxy some powder coat the rad shops use heat resistant paint ...but usually to glossy..

Reactions: alfabeach
#12 ·
One of the reasons water pump bearings wear out is the owner or mechanic over-tightens the belt tension. This puts high loads on the bearings in the water pump and the alternator. In earlycars it also can lead to cracks in the mainsheet pulley - along the keyway slot. That will eat up front crankshaft seals and start sharing all your oil with the rest of the engine and undercarriage.

Robert

#13 ·
In racing, (and street use with race engines) non-notched belts, loose enough to slip at high rpm, work best. This avoids water pump cavitation and alternator / generator blow-ups.
Water pump and generator / alternator bearings also last many many years.

#16 · (Edited)
I use a notched Belt (no particular reason) on the mouse engine which revs to 6000 and more...with generator...loose ... and I mean loose ,.... no cooling issues at all in traffic or at speed..... simple but great advice.. Gordon(once again....old age and experience conquers youth and enthusiasm)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.